Anime Geneon USA to cease distributions

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Baphijmm, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

In addition to the contracting of Geneon USA's sales and marketing to ADV Films, Dentsu Inc. (Geneon USA's parent company) was also planning on closing Geneon USA's in-house production by the end of the year. It is not known what was to be done with ongoing projects, such as the Hellsing video series, that will not finish in Japan before December 31.

Basically, if you were looking forward to the DVD releases of the Hellsing Ultimate OVA, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry), or anything else Geneon is currently releasing, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Well, that or you're going to be like me and happy at the chance someone else who won't screw up the Higurashi release as much as Geneon did will get the chance to distribute it. :p

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Doesn't confront me none. Go go fansubs!

~W

3. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Aye; fansubs were generally much better than what Geneon released, outside of video compression. I mean, honestly, the DVD case for volume two had episode descriptions for the episodes on volume one. How did that make it through copy-editing? o_O Plus, there's no real bonus from purchasing the DVDs, outside of having them; not even a clean opening/closing animation included.

4. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

It sucks that we are losing a distributor thats about it.

I hope they will get picked up by a better one.

But like Wert is like. fansubs. :D

5. Fushigi Rockna

Geneon is made of fail. From what I heard of their deplorable Rozen Maiden dub, there was only one good voice. On top of that, they intend to relase the first DVD of Traumend, but not the other two, leaving fans who got into the series via dvds hanging and those of us hardcore maiden-heads an incomplete collection.

Also, they're pretty much kicking the poor Higurashi fans when they're down...

Hopefully, other companies will pick up their series. *prays Funimation will pick up Rozen*

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

As someone who purchased the first three releases of Higurashi it's a downer. There is still possibility of the title simply ending there and unfinished, considering it apparently had low sales - hard to convince anyone to pick up the rights from them, even at a fire sale rate if it was proving to be a failure.

And that goes for everything that ended midway on Geneon's plate, with the exception of the surefire sales hits like Hellsing. ADV dropped out of the plan to distribute Geneon's catalogue, which seems to point that there was a lot in it they didn't feel was a good investment.

Looking the other way and coddling fansubs is the kind of attitude that is bringing the major players to condemn fansubbing altogether. It's an attitude I think that is taking a toll on the Western anime industry. And also apparently anime at the source, as producers purportedly now budget anime not only for projected Japan sales figures, but also overseas. It may not sound like a great business decision, but such projections allow for bigger productions - should the international anime market cutback, it will make a future impact.

Like I've said so many times on this forum - I support the ideal of fansubs. Without them, I have no idea if title X is worth my hard-earned money. They're an extended sort of try-before-I-buy. But I also believe in supporting the original talent and drop that hard-earned-money where I believe it to be deserved.

I know this ideal is less than standard. I'm not condemning anyone with reams of digital copies on their hard drives and nothing official on their shelves. I'm just saying it's unfortunate to the consumers that do exist when the most visible culprit to blame is the unaffected freeloader.

Take The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, perhaps the heaviest hitter in the fan scene last year. A surefire sales hit? Negative. None of its DVD releases in North America even edges into the top anime sales. Contrasted to the thousands of digitally downloaded copies of the fansubbed version, it's hard not to go Chicken Little and say the American distribution is seeing the sky fall.

Back on topic, a few weeks ago ANN interviewed the president of Bang Zoom! and an interesting bit fell out:
    That gives some hope for the titles mentioned, considering the dubs are on schedule to be completed, despite being past Geneon's cutoff of distribution back in September with the street date limit of November 6th. The titles will have the work complete by the end of this year - the remaining burning question is whether or not they will see distribution and sale, and if so, with what sort of delay? I still have a fansubbed copy, but I'd hate to see my artbox remain half-full and incomplete.

Edit: Another good quote from that interview:

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

One thing I would actually consider doing if I was in-tune to fansubs as Eric Sherman states, is either stopping dubbing altogether or at least stop processing into Dolby Digital. I haven't shopped for any sort of DVD lately (except Transformers) but the prices they were at when I was looking in the Anime section is quite ridiculous. I'm sure if they cut off the slice of the pie for voice acting English into the DVDs, they can substantially raise sales because price per unit is lower.

But, that's just me.

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure a significant slice of their sales pie are buyers who won't touch anything without a dub track.

I don't think anyone can argue against anime having a higher price point than domestic releases, but we still get off far better internationally than in Japan, where they release 1-2 episodes a disc.

And even hypothetically speaking, how can even lowered prices compete with versions available for free download?

9. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

For sure it won't boost the sales where they need it, I'm referring to it mostly as a way to cut costs down. A free download will always be enticing, but I'm only saying that one way to bring back sales is to somehow make it more affordable. Let's face it, $24 a DVD (in some cases) isn't exactly conducive to the type of money a typical anime watcher would have readily at any given time, let alone for 6-7 disks. And by typical anime watcher, I'll mean the teenagers.

It may cost a lot more to buy those same shows in Japan (FLCL is a testament to that, at $30 a disk with one episode each), but as Konata (Lucky Star) shows, they do have the option of recording it.

I didn't propose it as the be-all solution for the american distribution of japanese animation, but it certainly can be a credible help. Or maybe even releasing them without extras (which I actually quite like) or releasing them as a full bundle.

When I worked at Best Buy, not a single one of the customers in the anime aisle that I talked to ever watched the dubs. I, in fact, got laughed at when I admitted that I like the BGC2040 dub slightly more than the original voices -- with the exception of the vocal music.

10. wertitis

Believe it or not they are out there (folks who live and die by dubs). Some people just don't like to read when they watch. I know they're a substantial portion of the industry. Those folks tend to be more of the casual watcher rather than the determined connoisseur. At the first Anime Expo in So Cal I went to they showed Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, and the wired, excited tone of the crowd died substantially for a few minutes when the narrator started speaking in plain, old English. Eventually the crowd got back into it and the rest of the showing was a blast, but it shows that most people who watch anime on a regular basis prefer the original japanese voice actors.

I think another reason why Fansubbers continue to do so well after the licensed release is the fact that why wait to go to the store, or order online when you can get it NOW by simply browsing a few anime torrent sites? The American "Must Have it Now" Instant Gratification syndrome plays a factor.

Lastly you have to keep in mind that License Companies mess of great series when they bring it over here by editing, and that you rarely get the same, original product. The fans? They notice the small stuff. Vandread is a good example. Louis Armstrong's "It's a Wonderful World" was an entire episode, and it was wonderfully played out and in tune with the emotional drama the series was having at that moment. When it released to DVD changed the singer from Armstrong to some no-name woman in the subtitled audio track, and changed the song entirely in the Dubbed version. I couldn't help but feel slighted in the knowledge that I wasn't watching the series as intended in Takeshi Mori's vision. I'm sure American politics and copy-right laws had their part to play in that, which is another reason I was so disappointed.

Name a single One Piece Fan that's proud of what 4Kids did to the series for the American release.

~W

11. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

There's always the copyright factor, true. However, that's one thing that may be impossible to get around. Dubbing, they can get around. But, again, I do understand that not everyone will go for just subs.

*sigh* Ah well, as you said, fansubs are MUCH easier to get. And MUCH easier on the wallet.

I will maintain, that the animation industry needs to find a way to slightly cut down costs. It's almost laughable that I have to pay ridiculous prices for DVDs as HD-Media in some cases. There are times that it's worth it: Interstella 5555, but, sometimes...there's just not enough money in the wallet to do so.

12. Basher

I would have to agree that they need to find a way to cut down on pricing. It is the main reason why people won't buy DVD's.

We do get a few episodes on DVD though which is better then the Japan ones. But compared to a tv series where you can buy a full season for 60 bucks. And 4 or 5 or 6 anime dvds is a season for 35 bucks. isn't easy on the wallet.

13. wertitis

Those are all points that are simply the reality of the situation and cannot be helped. However, what irks me as a fan the most, and what I find to be the biggest killing point in DVD is when they deviate from the original vision of the creator. One Piece is but a drop in the bucket. There is a disturbingly large amount of releases that are simply different from the original aired version for reasons as pointless as age appeal or simply making it more "Americanized" for better sales or ratings when aired. I find this kind of marketing offensive and, to no small degree, arrogant. It's like trying to take the Mona Lisa, jazzing up the background, fixing her wardrobe malfunction, giving her callogen lips and a boob-job before sending her over here to the states for a tour. It's offensive for someone else to think that I cannot appreciate art and vision in its original and intended form.

That is simply inexcusable.

...And, hehe, on a personal note I think dubbed actors are some of the worst voice actors on the planet. They sound completely unnatural and their speech is crammed into rapid, over worded phrases. The beauty of Japanese voice actors is if they're doing the same thing, I can't tell. :3

~W

14. Basher

I just thought of something.

Won't they take a loss because they had acquired some anime recentily and they won't continue to sell it?

15. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yes.

Why wouldn't they make full use of their purchased licenses instead of incurring a $41+ billion loss?

Dentsu's business analysts must have projected an even bigger loss if they kept the US anime distribution going. They're cutting their losses before they get worse.

There is more investment that follows license acquisition - translation, subbing, dubbing, encoding, design, pressing, distribution...

Eric P. Sherman's mention of finishing Rozen Maiden, When They Cry, and starting on Seirei no Moribito offers a glimmer of hope, but it could just prove to be his company finishing contractual obligations for which services were already paid for by Geneon.

Geneon laid off their sales and marketing back in September, and their A.D. Vision alliance seemed to be where they were placing all their chips. With the deal called off, I doubt Dentsu is eager to fund the expense of rebuilding sales and marketing from the ground up.

My own question is - what do I plug up the 3-dvd sized hole in my artbox with? :S

16. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I still have 4 discs of Noir to buy Matt! You start...ignoring after a while, and much heartache.

17. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Odd. ADV finished releasing Noir back in 2003. Even released the complete boxset in thinpak form in 2005.

Rightstuf.com's selling the individual discs for $7.99 apiece. They don't have vol 3 or 5, but if you need any of the other ones...

18. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Lol, yeah, it's been complete, but I can't bring myself to watch it. it's stuffed in the back of my dvd case now. out of site, out of mind. i always get into the first two discs (i have 1-3), and then just find another anime to watch.

19. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Ah, ok. You confused me there. This box is one I am eager to fill, but might not be able to with Geneon's distribution closure. :(

20. wertitis

Well, seeing as those titles wont be 'Licensed' any more you could always burn your own "substitutions" for those slots...

:eek:

~W