Anime Geneon USA to cease distributions

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Baphijmm, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

So they won't be licensed anymore?

What a waste.

Unless some company takes over.

I personnal think they will loose lots of cash here. And maybe people that are loyal to their products.

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

It would make sense to me that a third party would pick up on those orphaned licenses and try to run with them to make a profit. This could work out to everyone's advantage in that other companies could learn from Geneon's mistakes and orient themselves and their products a little differently- make themselves a little more user friendly.

I don't believe the voice actors themselves will have much to worry about. Their talent is vital to their industry and will probably get picked up by other fansub competitors.

~W

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

No, Geneon USA retains their licenses. They have ceased distribution. While it is true that they will likely move to sell off what they do have, it's going to be the "sure thing" titles that will get picked up by other companies. The more marginal audience licenses won't be scooped up so readily and might just end up being locked away in Geneon's unpublished vault.

Interesting related tidbits from the New York Anime Festival (credits to www.toonzone.net).

From the Funimation Panel:
    From the ADV Films Panel:
    From the Bandai Entertainment Panel:
    From the Central Park Media Panel:

4. wertitis

Interesting to note they're still going to hold onto the license despite no longer distributing them. It makes me curious what their eventual plans are.

~W

5. Basher

I have agree with Wert. I wonder what will they do.

Logic says to sell the licenses.

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

7. Basher

So in other words. Anime takes a big hit. :(

8. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Good grief! I didn't know that Newtype USA was such an expensive magazine! Yikes!

...now, gotta find that Rei Ayanami cover on Rolling Stone Magazine.

I guess too many people got into a large chunk of the anime property too fast. Sucks though, but as wert labelled, "go fansubs!"

9. Basher

Good point. We don't have to pay for them.

The downside is the creator doesn't get anything. And there isn't talk enough about anime.

We need to discuss anime more here.

10. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Yeah, that sadly is the downside to all of this. The original creator gets no gain from our consumption.

It's almost the exact opposite situation of the BBC show, "Top Gear". Andy Wilman, head producer of the show, actually encourages the sharing of the show to peoples outside the United Kingdom -- primarily because he wants people to watch it, not to gain more profit, though I'm sure that goal is hidden deep within there somewhere.

11. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

And production will no longer be factoring in overseas profits during project planning and as a result will reduce budgets on future anime titles.

12. Basher

Which means?

Low quality animation, not the right voice talents. Is what I can think of.

For those who have or buying a series it is all a waiting game. Because licensing does expire. Remember Sailor moon. So they can't wait to long.

13. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

May be old news to some, but ADV has recently shown some cracks in its dam as well...someone cue Chicken Little.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articles/0220animetroubles0220.html

14. wertitis

A tough deal for those who love DVDs and Dubbed works. While Fansubbers may have had a hand in this I'll still stand behind them. The hardest part for me is finding fansubs that aren't DVD rips. Even for me that's striking below the belt.

To be honest I've found that there haven't been very many knockout titles recently, and those that do pick up are commercialized so badly I can't stand watching their licensed form. Bleach, Death Note and Naruto to name a few...

~W

15. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

^ Agreed. Or maybe I just don't see the great titles anymore...

Even in places like Box, I'm looking at older titles, not newer ones.

16. Basher

Agreed.

I fear what they will do to Ghost Hunt. Such a good anime.

17. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Well, many fans can breathe a sigh of relief. Funimation has picked up a butt load of Geneon's licenses with the intent to release.

18. wertitis

Funimation... They any good? Aren't they the guys who picked up One Piece after 4kids travesty?

~W

19. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I think their highest profile release in the past has been the Dragonball series. For any of the partially released material, there really shoulnd't be any concern anyhow - I doubt they'll scrap any of Geneon's work. They'll just focus on its distribution.

20. Seishin

Seishin Guest

They've done a lot of good stuff over the years, FullMetal Alchemist being their most notable one.

However, I've been forced to believe that Funimation is a "Best Friend" company. What this means to me is that most of their voice actors are friends. Not that this is a bad thing, but like a close group of friends, it's hard (apparently) to let someone else in.

This makes all their dubs feel a bit recycled due to basically all the same people getting roles in anime. Don't believe me? IMBD Fruits Basket, Kodocha, FullMetal Panic, Shin Chan (possibly the best dub ever though o_O), and Gunslinger Girl! Most of the cast is the same.

Not to say that these are BAD voice actors. On the contrary, they all do an excellent job, but it gets rather odd to hear the same voice for twenty different characters...

The only one who I'll excuse is Laura Bailey (Sana Kuarata on Kodocha, Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket, Lust from FMA), and this is because she is probably the best VA on the business. Her voice work is amazing, and she really sounds different from one role to the next.

Back to the point, all they'll do is distribute and make the bucks ^^;

-Seishin