Got a couple of Gatchaman & G-Force goodies for all..........

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Dirk Daring, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

These are from one of my favorite sites,Toonami Digital Arsenal.

Toonami if you don't already know is an action cartoon block that has aired on Cartoon Network for almost 8 years now in many different incarnations & timeslots. It showcases action cartoons of mostly Japanese (dubbed) & American descent (like an update to one of your favorite childhood cartoons Mark, Justice League Unlimited. Sans Hoyt Curtin of course. ;) . Toonami is the 4th revision of a long history of weekday afternoon action blocks on CN that started with the inagural block,Super Adventures. The 3rd revision of the weekday afternoon action block (Power Zone), aired fare such as Superfriends,Captain Planet,and yes.....................G-Force. CN's first anime as well as mine got it's start in Power Zone.

The following clip is a custom-made intro for G-Force, for when it had a month-long stint between Jan-early Feb 2000 on Toonami's late-night spin-off,Midnight Run. Midnight Run showcased other classic fare such as Robotech,Voltron & Thundercats. G-Force,much like it was in Power Zone 5 years earlier was put at the very end of the block. Only this time it was at 4AM. :( This stint was the last time G-Force aired on Cartoon Network and on US television for that matter. Save for the very obscure Anime Network linear and to a lesser extent On-Demand streams...............:

http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/php/tdadownload.php?fid=000369

All Toonami shows has custom-made intros to save time,though there was a time when the original,full intros aired,but that was ages ago.

The following clip is the one that i had been raving about in my introductory post. It's a clip of the original Science Ninja Team Gatchaman opening. Thing is, the quality of the footage of this clip is STUPENDOUS. The quality probably looks better than the original print did on it's first day! This is what i call remastering. For you guys that have the BotP DVD's with the Gatchaman episodes on them,did the intro on those episodes look as good as this? I mean, i did hear that those extra Gatchaman episodes were from the Laserdisc prints,and not the newer DVD prints. I wonder if any of those were remastered to look as good as this.

The clip is a bit choppy admittedly. I'm lead to believe that the opening was ripped off the disc of a Playstation 1 game called Tatsunoko Fight,which was a fighting game which featured many of Tatsunoko's franchises (namely the main heroes. Ken,Jun,and Katse were in this game)squaring it off. The game played the intro to the character's respective show when he was picked. Well,enjoy the clip if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/php/tdadownload.php?fid=000812

On second thought, if the links don't work (the webmaster is obviously protective of his files), then here's the link to the page where you can view the clips yourself:

http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/download/gforce.php

Man, i can only hope that ADV can even remotely pull of a remastering close to the one in this clip. It seems like such a daunting task for a show with 33-year old prints. I've seen a Gatchaman episode which was a rip from the Japanese DVD's,and the intro was so dark on that one that it was unviewable. Perhaps equal to if not worse than most BotP episodes i've seen. For me,looks like they just did a digital transfer from the original prints and chucked them into a DVD. But the damage to the original prints had already been done........

2. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Wow, after doing a bit more digging on the net i found an even better clip of the Gatchaman opening with stereo sound and the ending as well! Same as the one from the link above,but better. I can kinda see now that this clip may have been ripped off the Playstation 1 game
    Tatsunoko Fight" as in that same site there were also clips to openings and endings of other Tatsunoko series (Hurricane Polymar,Casshern) and they too shared the amazing video & audio remastering that the Gatchaman clip has. I still don't know for sure, that's why i'm posting it here. I took at the Gatchaman ending clip and then the G-Force ending clip from my DVD rip (which excluding the theme music is the same thing) and it was like going from DVD to a 2nd-generation VHS tape! So lets see if i can provide you the links:

Gatchaman opening:
    http://regnodelleanime.gamesurf.it/filtro/gatchaman_jap.htm

Gatchaman ending:
    http://regnodelleanime.gamesurf.it/filtro/gatchaman_fin_jap.htm

Just download the zips,extract and view the clips. Hope i'm not doing anything to get myself banned from here. But if i am,feel free to consequence me and erase my thread if necessary as i will take responsibility.

On a small note, i was checking out the intro to Hurricane Polymar, and there was one part when Polymar dived underwater and approached a base that looked pretty much EXACTLY like Coral Cresent/Center Neptune. He dived through it after transforming into a plane and destroyed it. Guess they weren't joking when they said that Tatsunoko's super-hero shows were so similar to one another.........

Oh yeah, and i noticed that the Gatchaman ending clip was scaled down from the original's length, but with quality like that,can you really complain?

3. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Here's a link to a review of the Playstation 1 game i had in question:Tatsunoko Fight. Much like pretty much all of Tatsunoko's lesser-known properties, the game is a Japanese import only:

http://www.thelogbook.com/pf/tats/

Man,i'm on a roll! That's it. I'm gone for sure now. Later!