Creative Writing Happy Fun Novus Writing Time!

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by Novus, Mar 9, 2004.

1. KazigluBey

KazigluBey New Member

The suspense is killing me!

2. Novus

Novus Gone

I'm finishing chapter XI tonight. Here's X, just so you're not left hanging for too long.

Chapter X - Confrontation

The beast snarled, baring its teeth. Its forked tongue lashed its lips in anticipation of taste of the fresh meat it saw before it. Its tail flailing, it approached us, preparing for its next meal.
    We had bigger plans than being a serpentfly’s lunch. The monster swung its tail for my head, the razor-sharp stinger at its tip barely deflected by my rapier. As its furious assault continued, I was beginning to tire under the sustained attack, and I began to fear my death was at hand. I called to Miyu for help, but then I noticed that some time during my struggle with the beast she had vanished. I worried that she had fled and abandoned me, and that my final destiny was to die here in the woods, alone.
    I knew at that moment that my end was near. If I was going to die, I decided I might as well make this creature work for its meal. For an instant I let down my guard, diverting my attention from parrying the creature’s stinger to make a desperate attack.
    As I lunged with my rapier, the creature stung my left leg with its tail. Searing pain tore through my lower body. I instinctively realized that the stinger must have bore some kind of poison, for the wound was not so deep as to cause such pain on its own. Nevertheless, my blow struck, jabbing into the flesh at the side of the creature’s narrow belly.
    With effort, I pulled my weapon free of the monster’s scaly hide and turned began to once again mount a defence. My guard wavered, however, as I was finding it difficult to stand on the wounded leg. The creature continued to lash at me with its tail, attempting to snatch at my flesh with its yellow teeth at the same time. I managed to fend off most of the attacks, but I knew I could not do so for much longer. Both the creature and I were wounded, but I was in far worse condition than it.
    I was mid-way through another lunge at the beast when my leg finally gave out. I had leaned too much on it as I launched my counterattack, and I fell to the ground, sharp pain burning through my leg. As I landed I could hear the creature behind me, preparing to finish me off.
    Suddenly, my salvation arrived. Out of the trees dropped Miyu, dagger in hand. Clinging to the creature’s back, she wrapped one arm around the neck and drove the dagger into the serpentfly’s back with the other, at the base of one of the wings.
    Roaring in pain, the creature momentarily forgot about me and concentrated only on Miyu. It howled and shrieked, its tail trying in vain to tear her from its back. It began to fly between trees, scrambling to loosen her grip. She only tightened her grip, determined to keep hold. Somehow, she managed to force the creature closer to where I fell.
    Miyu twisted the dagger towards the creature’s wings, and the beast screamed louder. Finally, it slammed its back into a tree, knocking my companion to the ground. The move must have aggravated the monster’s wounds, for it shrieked again and began to flail around just above the ground, barely keeping aloft.
    I tried to rise to my feet, desperate to finish the serpentfly and save the both of us. In spite of my fierce determination, the poison continued to work its way through my leg, and I tumbled back to the ground, still gripping my rapier.
    The creature seemed to be regaining its composure, and it turned around and slowly flap toward Miyu. For a moment it just hovered there, savouring its victory, jaws clapping as it glared at her still form.
    Out of no where there came a flash of light, blasting from somewhere further down the path. When the brilliance had cleared, there was a smoking hole in one of the monster’s wings and the creature sat coiled on the ground, hissing in pain.
    “No free meals today,” came a confident voice from down the path.
    As the spots left my eyes I could make out the figure of a tall, thin elf holding a twisted, wooden staff. Long, brown hair hung loosely about his face, and he grinned as he spoke. He wore the more or less typical clothing, but his entire outfit was made of a deep green cloth.
    “Don’t worry,” he said. “I’ve got this one.”
    With obvious effort, the serpentfly started to try to wriggle away. When the newcomer approached it, it sprung with surprising quickness for his neck. The elf blocked the attack with his staff and flung the creature to the ground. Uttering a few strange syllables held his hand in front of the creature’s face. Another flash of light erupted from his palm, searing the serpentfly with its magical brilliance.
    Again, the light cleared. There was now a smell of overcooked meat in the air, and the serpentfly’s collapsed form lay on the ground next to Miyu, its head nowhere to be seen.
    With great effort, I had managed to get to my feet. Sheathing my rapier, I turned to the elf.
    “I don’t know who you are,” I began. “but thanks.”
    The elf laughed cheerfully. “It was nothing, really. Just a few little magic tricks. You’re just lucky I came along when I did.”
    “Is there any way I can thank you? You saved my ... our ... necks.”
    “No, I think I’ll just be on my way. You know, it’s odd though ... I was searching for one of these creatures, but now I can’t remember why.”
    “You must be another contestant,” I said. “Take the stinger, I guess we owe you that much.”
    “Stinger! Yes, that’s it!” the elf cheered, looking at me as if I had just solved some immense riddle. “Yes, I think I will take the stinger off this beast after all. It will make a nice souvenir, if nothing else.”
    Crouching near the end of the creature’s tail he began to pull on the serpentfly’s stinger with all his might. A look of immense concentration and effort formed on his face, but he was not having any luck.
    “Allow me,” I said.
    Leaning on my good leg, I reached down and pulled the stinger out with little effort. Handing him the stinger, I limped the short distance to where Miyu lay.
    “I’m going to have to get her back to town,” I said, heaving a sigh of frustration. “I guess I could use some professional healing myself, too.”
    Bending down, I attempted to lift Miyu’s unconscious body to my shoulders. The wound in my leg chose that moment to remind me of its presence, and before I could move my companion I fell once again to the ground.
    The elf looked at my predicament and smiled. Laughing, he held out his hand to help me up again. As he tried to pull me up, he slipped and fell next to me, laughing even harder.
    “At this rate, neither of us has any chance in this little game,” he said, still laughing. Reaching into his jacket he withdrew reaching into one of the pockets of his vest he withdrew a small bottle of a reddish liquid. “I found this potion in the ruins up north. A little test showed it to be a healing potion, and I was planning on turning it in for the Contest. That idea didn’t go very far, though. I got attacked.”

3. Novus

Novus Gone

“Sorry if I seem rude,” I interjected. “but you seemed to hold your own against the serpentfly. I find it hard to believe that you would be overcome easily.”
    The elf laughed again. “Well, there’s more to it than that. You see, somewhere along the way to the ruins I met up with two other fellows, a quite surly dwarf, not that there’s another kind, and a rather odd man who wore loose-fitting robes. Anyway, the three of us agreed to join forces. We reached the ruins, and shortly thereafter were attacked by a giant insect, bigger than the three of us together. The others fought off the creature while I began to prepare one of my biggest magic spells, but when I was about to complete the incantations, I forgot one of the final words and the spell backfired. Instead of hitting the monster with a beam of fire, I blasted the entire room with cold. The monster was, of course, destroyed, but the three of us nearly were as well. As you can imagine, my companions were not happy with me after that.”
    “So you messed up your spell, and the others kicked you out?”
    “That’s the gist of it,” he said gloomily. “At any rate, after that abysmal failure, I decided to just give up and go home. I have no place with all the other adventurers, I guess.”
    “Hey, if you weren’t around, my companion and I would both be dead by now.”
    “I guess you’re right,” the elf replied, faint traces his smile back on his face. “Still, I doubt that I could win on my own, so I figure I’ll just give you this potion, and you and your friend will be back on your feet in no time. I won’t need a healing potion back at home.”
    “I’ve got an even better idea!” I said, trying to cheer him up. “Why don’t you join us? I know you’ve got the kind of skills that could be a serious asset on the road ahead.”
    “Oh, you wouldn’t want me on your side. I’d probably just choke again and screw something else up.”
    “Don’t be so hard on yourself,” I replied. “You’ll never get any better if you give up that easily.”
    “You’re probably right,” he said. “You know what? I was ready to just toss my staff away and give up adventuring, but you’ve changed my mind.”
    “So you’re on board, then?”
    “You know it!” he yelled happily.
    “Great,” I said. “My name’s Ahren Impavi, travelling bard and general adventurer.”
    “Dryder, sorcerer,” my new companion replied, holding out his hand, which I shook heartily.
    “Now, there’s just the matter of the healing,” Dryder said, removing the cork from the potion with effort. “This potion appears to be especially potent, so there should be more than enough for the two of you. Take just a sip, and your leg should clean itself up nicely.”
    I took the bottle and sipped a little bit. The potion burned a bit on the way down. Slowly, a feeling of warmth crept through my body.
    “And the rest is for ... I’m sorry, Ahren, what is our friend’s name?”
    “Miyu,” I replied. “You’ll get to know her in time. Been a big help so far, and I’m sure we’ll work even better as a trio.”
    “So the rest is for Miyu,” he reiterated.
    Pulling Miyu’s mouth open, he slowly poured the remains of the potion down Miyu’s throat. She coughed a little as it went down, but then was silent again.
    “The results may take time,” Dryder said. “I’ll start a fire. We might as well rest the night while we wait.”
    Minutes later, the two of us had gathered some small pieces of wood from the area around the path. Muttering a word or two under his breath, Dryder shot a tiny flare of fire from his finger, setting the wood instantly ablaze.
    It was not long afterwards that I was asleep. The day had taken a lot out of me, and I was glad to have the much-needed repose.

4. Novus

Novus Gone

Chapter XI, just finished like 10 minutes ago. Hot off the press ... or ... off the word processor ... or something. Anyway, I don't know when 12's going to be done, since I have an essay due this week and then exams.
    Enjoy, and all that.

Chapter XI – The Play

The following morning, I awoke filled with energy. Even the small portion of Dryder’s healing potion I drank was more than enough to get me back on my feet. Miyu seemed much the same, and it was almost as if she had never been injured. Once her and our new companion had made their introductions, we continued along our way.
    For a short while, I was still paranoid about being followed, but I soon managed to shake off those feelings. At about noon, I could see the outline of the ruined temple ahead, at the end of the path. The trees were beginning to thin, and light began to trickle through the canopy above, casting flickering rays to guide our way.
    Finally, we reached the end of the forest, the ruins in front of us. The trees gave way to crumbled columns of stone and fallen, unrecognizable statues. The dirt path became ancient stone tile, now overgrown with grasses and mosses sprouting between the cracks.
    The temple itself did not appear very large. It could not have had more than one floor by the outer appearance, and it was no wider than a typical house. By Dryder’s descriptions, I had assumed that it would be larger.
    “Winding catacombs run beneath our feet,” Dryder said quietly, as if he knew what I was thinking. “It is in these that we will find what we seek, I have no doubt.”
    “Okay,” I said. “all we have left to find is a chunk of obsidian and a brazier. Let’s just hope the other contestants haven’t already cleaned this place out.”
    “There’s only one way to find out,” Miyu cheered, running along the stones to the gaping entrance.
    Dryder and I began to walk the short distance to catch up with her when something whizzed past my ear. With a clatter, it hit the stones at Miyu’s feet. Whirling around, I saw the source.
    At the end of the path there stood a dark elf. He was rather thin, and his skin was a deep blue colour. He wore dark green clothing and a long, black cloak with the hood pulled back. In his hands he clutched a few glistening daggers, one of which now sat at Miyu’s feet.
    “Thought ye’d seen th’ last o’ me, did ye, missy?” the dark man sneered, glaring past Dryder and I at Miyu. “I underestimated ye befar, but ye’ll not get the best o’ me this time.”
    “Miyu,” I said nervously. “do you know this guy?”
    “He’s … well …” she muttered.
    “I’m th’ guy she ripped off back in town,” he sneered again. “And I followed the lot o’ ye all the way out ‘ere to get me revenge.”
    “What is he talking about?” I asked, trying to subtly edge back towards Miyu.
    “Don’t move!” the dark elf hissed, tossing another dagger at my feet. “The next one won’t miss.”
    Dryder and I froze where we stood.
    “Look, I’ll make a deal with ye,” he said, looking at Dryder and myself this time. “Ye give me the girl, and I won’t pop a blade in ye’re ***.”
    Thinking for a moment, I saw very few ways out of this predicament. Here we had been stalked for a day and a half since leaving town, hardly even getting any idea that we were being followed. Then we were ambushed by this man, who obviously knew his way around a dagger. Dyder, however, had an idea.
    “You know what, sir,” he said, trying to be cheerful. “I’ve always thought you dark elves are a sorely misjudged lot. And I know you’ll prove me right by being reasonable.”
    “What are ye gettin’ at?” our assailant rasped.
    “Well, the girl’s actually not that important to us; just sort of a stray cat we picked up.”
    Miyu must have thought he was serious, because she screamed something rather unpleasant about the two of us. Not knowing what he was thinking, I was stunned by my companion’s words.
    “She’s just carrying something important of ours,” he continued. “I’ll tell you what we’ll do. You let us just take back what is ours, and we’ll give you what is yours.”
    The dark elf seemed to be thinking about Dryder’s proposal. I was about to protest, but Dryder winked at me. I knew he had a plan, but I knew not what it was.
    “Alright,” our enemy said. “that sounds fine by me. Go get yer stuff from the girl, and then give ‘er ta me.”
    “Ahren, do as the good man says,” Dryder instructed.
    “Okay …” I replied halfheartedly, not really knowing what to do.
    Slowly, I walked over to Miyu.
    “What are you guys thinking, giving me over to that bastard?” Miyu whispered, a tinge of fear in her voice.
    “Dryder’s planning something,” I whispered back. “Just play along; we’ll see how this turns out. I’m not going to let him just drag you off.”
    I started to “drag” Miyu back towards the attacker. She struggled weakly, trying to put up a show. The whole scene reminded me vaguely of a play I had once seen during my travels, but in our show we were not acting. There was no audience, no script, and the daggers were real.
    As we neared Dryder, Miyu nudged me in the side where I kept my rapier, then gave a harder pull away from me. I knew what she was thinking. I pulled her back closer, then unsheathed my weapon and prodded her with the end.
    Apparently our acting skills were good enough, for as we reached Dryder, the dark elf had a big grin of satisfaction on his face.
    “Well, just bring her over ‘ere, then, and I’ll be on me merry way,” he sneered.
    “Of course,” Dryder said. “I’ll take it from here, Ahren.”
    Dryder took Miyu’s arm and began to walk towards the dark elf.
    “Don’t worry,” Dryder whispered into her ear. “I’ve got this one covered.”
    Finally, the two reached the attacker. Dryder passed Miyu to him, and the dark elf laughed evilly.
    “Let’s go, missy,” he jeered. Jerking her arm, he turned to go.
    “Oh, before you go,” Dryder said, raising his hands. “I have something I’d like to say to you.”
    “An’ what’s that?” the dark elf inquired, obviously annoyed.
    “Something to remember us by,” my companion replied.
    Shouting a few strange syllables he pointed his fingers at the attacker. A ray of red light shot from his hands and into the dark elf’s eyes. Screaming, he, let go of Miyu and clutched his eyes. Now released, Miyu seized the opportunity to knee her attempted captor in the groin. Quietly whimpering, he fell to the ground.
    “Ahren, please be so kind as to finish this,” Dryder said.
    “My pleasure,” I replied, walking up to the fallen dark elf.
    Turning my rapier downwards, I drove the point through his neck. Bracing his body with my foot, I pulled out my weapon, wiped it on his cloak and returned it to its sheath.
    “Filthy breed, those dark elves,” Dryder sneered, glaring at the fresh corpse. “I’m almost ashamed we’re the same species.”
    “So Miyu,” I said. “what did he mean when he said you ripped him off?”
    “Oh, nothing really important,” she replied. “Besides, we’ve got a Contest to win! Let’s go!”
    Letting the issue rest for now, the three of us ran for the entrance to the ruins, and the darkness beyond.

5. KazigluBey

KazigluBey New Member

Nice way the solving the serpentfly and dark elf problems. Gotta love them sorcerers!

By the way, good luck on the essay and exams!

6. Novus

Novus Gone

This next chapter's 6 pages long ... the longest one yet. Probably going to take 3 replies to post the whole thing. I've been working on it on and off for a little while, and it's finally done. I finished my essay last night, so now I have a bit more time to write the fun stuff.
    Actually, I was debating putting the essay up here last night, but I think everyone will enjoy chapter XII a little more than an analysis of the medieval business environment.
    In this chapter, I introduce one of the most interesting characters I have ever written. In the original game, he was quite popular with the players. Of course, the manner in which he was introduced was a little better back then, but I had to change that in order to rationalize some things about the ruins (like how they used to be inexplicably inhabited by a group of orcs, which didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but worked for the game). Also, Dryder has one line in this chapter that makes no sense whatsoever. But he had to say it, or the players would eat my spleen.

Chapter XII – Encounter in the Darkness

No sooner had we stepped into the ruins than we were plunged into total, complete darkness. The shadows were so thick as the be solid, as if they were closing in from the walls around us, swallowing us, taking us in, ripping us from the light outside.
    “I can take care of this,” I said.
    Pulling my mandolin from my back, I strummed a few chords. Returning the instrument to its place, I drew my rapier and spoke a single word.
    “Light,” I uttered.
    Instantly, the weapon began to glow with inner radiance. Dryder and Miyu stared at me for a moment.
    “A trick I learned from a wizard I once met,” I explained.
    “Well, I see I’m not the only one with tricks,” Dryder laughed. “Have any other skills you’d like to share with the rest of us?”
    “It’s nothing, just a cantrip I managed to pick up. Shall we continue?” I really didn’t see my simple spell as being worth discussing.
    In the new light, we were able to see the outline of the foyer. Rubble and spider webs were everywhere. Across the room, some ten feet away, there was a doorway leading to more darkness beyond. Footprints in the dust and grime on the floor told us that many others had been here recently, no doubt seeking treasures within, just as we were.
    Walking into the next room, we were greeted by a more or less empty space. In the centre of the room there stood a large, stone altar, dilapidated over time, its edges worn down to smooth, rounded corners. Across the room there was another doorway, the door long gone, if ever one stood in the frame. On the right side there was another exit, but it was blocked by an immense pile of rubble.
    “When last I was here,” Dryder said. “we had tried to enter that room, but the ceiling caved in. It seems like such a shame; who knows what treasures may lie beyond.”
    “A puzzle for another time,” I replied. “What’s through that door across the room?”
    “There is a set of stairs, going deep underground,” he answered. “It is kind of interesting, really. The locals know very little about the people who built this temple, but based on its layout, I believe it was built in honour of a deity of the earth. Possibly, it was …”
    “Well, let’s go, then,” Miyu interrupted.
    We began to walk towards the stairs, but Miyu paused as we passed by the altar. Walking over to it, she blew some dust off the surface.
    “What is it, Miyu?” I asked, puzzled as to what she was doing.
    “There’s some carvings here,” she said. “I can’t tell what they are, though.”
    Dryder quickly stepped up to the altar. I followed, holding my blade overtop to grant him light.
    “These aren’t just carvings!” Dryder exclaimed. “This is writing! By the look of it, a variation on old elvish script! If you don’t mind, I’d like to take a moment to translate?”
    “Go ahead,” I said. “Actually, it might help us uncover the secrets of this place.”
    “Las faltis mas despekenas tener desinitrar al suarco,” he muttered to himself, reading the script. “Let’s see … ‘the greatest of problems … must start at the source. Yes, I’m certain that’s what it says.”
    “But what does it mean?” Miyu asked.
    “It’s probably a line from a prayer, or something of significance to the builders,” Dryder deduced. “Most likely, nothing important. Still, I am glad to have the opportunity to test my skills in my native tongue, albeit in a strange and ancient dialect.”
    “Anyway, we should get moving,” I said.
    Finally, we reached the stairs. Sure enough, they were just through the door. Together we made our descent into a deeper darkness below. I took the lead, holding forth my glowing weapon. Carefully, we proceeded down, our footsteps echoing in the dark stairwell.
    Surprisingly enough, most of the stairs seemed in good repair, much unlike I had expected of a ruined temple. Well, the stairs were all fine, except one.
    After we had been climbing down for about five minutes, I put my foot on one step and noticed the stone seemed a little loose. I knew it would not support my weight. Of course, I noticed this about half a second too late.
    With a startled scream, I fell. I likely would have tumbled the rest of the way down the stairs, but Miyu and Dryder managed to catch my arms before I went far. Still, I hit the stone stairs with a heavy thud and a strong pain running through my back. I dropped the rapier, and it clattered down the stairs. We could see it glowing at the bottom, not that much farther.
    “Are you alright?” a concerned Dryder asked.
    “I only hurt my pride,” I responded, getting back to my feet. “At least we know we’re almost down.”
    “Yes,” replied Dryder. “I guess I should have mentioned that these stairs went down very, very far. I don’t know about you two, but I should like a short break to catch my breath at the bottom.”
    Both Miyu and I agreed. I figured I could use a minute to regain my composure after my mishap.
    At last, we had reached the bottom. Picking up my rapier, I looked around at our surroundings. We were in a large room with a high ceiling. The stairs we had just climbed stood in the centre of the room, and all around us there were old stone benches, mostly crumbling or overturned. Seating himself on one of the more or less together benches, Dryder heaved a heavy sigh.
    “I do not want you to feel alarmed,” Dryder said. “but it was in this room where my former companions and I were attacked.”
    “Let’s stay on our guard, then,” I replied.
    “You know, Ahren,” Miyu began, leaning against one of the walls bordering the stairs. “you never did tell me why you entered the Contest. Since we’re just sitting here, why not fill me in?”
    “I guess I might as well,” I said. As I was about to continue, something in the distance, across the room, caught my ear. “Wait, what was that?”
    We all paused, straining our ears.
    “Yes,” Dryder said. “I hear that too …”

7. Novus

Novus Gone

Far off, we heard sounds of a struggle: clanging steel, and the occasional yell or scream. Readying our weapons, we ran towards the sound, across the room.
    Reaching the far wall, we noticed an immense drop, created by a collapse in the floor, giving way to a cavernous opening below. At the bottom of the opening, there was a bright light glowing, hidden from our view at the room’s centre by the angle. In the light we could see the cause of the sounds: a single man appeared to be battling a giant spider, easily four times his size.
    The exact features of both man and beast could not be discerned at this distance, but one thing was clear: the light was flaring out of the man’s sword. I had never seen a weapon glow so brightly, and I knew it had to hold powerful magic.
    Whirling and dashing, the warrior jabbed and thrust his blade at the creature. Now and then we would hear a clash of the weapon against the monster’s carapace. Both combatants seemed to be evenly matched: although none of the warrior’s attacks seemed to be penetrating the spider’s shell, his continuous offensive kept the creature from fighting back.
    “Is that the creature that attacked you?” I asked Dryder.
    “No,” he replied. “We were attacked by a smaller creature. I’d say that poor man is done for.”
    “Damn!” I uttered. “And there’s nothing we can do from up here.”
    No sooner had I said this than the spider sunk its teeth into its opponents. He fell to the ground and did not move. The spider bent to lift his body, prepared to drag it off to whatever lair it had made, but I was not about to stand idly by.
    “Dryder, can you use your magic to distract it?” I inquired, reaching into my pack and withdrawing my rope and grappling hook.
    “Well, I could, but I don’t see the …”
    “Do it!” I exclaimed, hooking the rope on the crevice and trailing the length over the edge.
    “Ahren, you can’t be serious!” Miyu shrieked. “That thing will destroy you!”
    Her words came too late. I was already scaling the cliff.
    “That moron!” Miyu yelled. “Do something!” She screamed, turning to Dryder. Then she was right behind me on the rope.
    The creature seemed weary after its battle, which was good new for us, as we were able to catch it just as it was beginning to stalk away. Grabbing a rock from the ground, I hurled it at the monster, hitting it in the back. Dropping its prey, the creature turned to face us.
    At this point I would like to note that I immediately realized how stupid rushing a giant monster unprepared is. The creature promptly leaped at me, the impact of its landing shaking the ground and knocking me off my feet. Miyu, a few steps behind me, ran to my defense.
    Once again, we likely would have died had it not been for Dryder. Firing another ray of light, he managed to momentarily daze the monster. I rose to my feet, and Miyu quickly stabbed at one of the creature’s legs with her dagger. The attack merely bounced off the hard shell of the leg. Our only plan of attack seemed to be the creature’s soft body, but the length of its legs kept it safely out of reach. I had no time to even try an attack, however, for the spider kicked Miyu to the ground and attempted to bite me in two.
    Not about to be the creature’s appetizer, I leaped back quickly, narrowly avoiding the attack.
    “Miyu, hit the body!” I called, dodging another attempted attack.
    She tried jumping at the creature, but it was painfully obvious that she could not reach. After two or three tries, and several very close calls on my part, she gave up and just hurled her dagger at the creature’s backside. Luckily, the blade connected, digging deep into the monster’s body. Roaring in pain, it turned its attention away from me to focus on Miyu.
    Now it was my turn to mount an assault. I frantically lashed out with my rapier at the creature, but I too was unable to reach its body. Miyu seemed to have better luck than I dodging the monster’s attacks, however, and now and then she managed to kick it in the head as it lunged, causing it to grumble in annoyance, but doing little else.
    I heard Dryder yell something from behind, but I was too focused on the battle to tell exactly what he said at the distance. I continued to attack the spider, but none of my attacks created noticeable wounds.
    Finally, the monster swung one of its front limbs at Miyu, and, scoring a hit, knocked her to the ground. The monster turned its attention back to me. It had apparently grown tired of getting kicked each time it tried a bit, and had decided it would be better suited to knocking us out with its limbs. Using its front arms, it continued to assail me. I was barely able to keep up my guard against its attacks, and I knew that sooner or later I would be finished.
    “Trinity,” spoke a deep voice from my left.
    A blinding flash in a triad of colours illuminated the cavern, blinding me momentarily. Before I had ceased seeing spots, I felt something warm and sticky splash over my body.
    When my vision had finally returned, I was greeted by a grisly scene. The spider had been cleanly chopped in two, from front to back, and everything immediately around it, including myself, had been given a thin coat of its blood. At the centre of the dismantled monster stood the very man we were trying to rescue.
    For the first time, I was able to catch a good look at the warrior. He wore strange, black clothing, most likely some kind of foreign design which I had never seen before. Underneath his dark jacket he wore some kind of white shirt, with a narrow, black scarf trailing down from his neck across his chest. His face was pale and clean-shaven, and his hair, which he wore short, was dark. His eyes seemed to glimmer with something hidden even in the darkness. In his hands he held the glowing blade, sparkling red, yellow and blue in the relative darkness, dwarfing the glow of my own weapon. His was not illuminated by a mere trick. I had never seen such an enchantment on a weapon, and I had to wonder what it could do.
    “Trinity,” he said again, his voice rich and clear. The weapon stopped glowing, and he tucked it into his jacket, where it inexplicably vanished. We were plunged into the thin light given off by my rapier.
    “By the gods …” I said quietly. “How did you …”
    “A little trick I picked up during my travels,” he cut me off.
    For a moment, he stared at me.
    “I’m sorry about your clothing,” he said, not sounding at all like he meant it. “That should come out with a wash.”

8. Novus

Novus Gone

“Who … who are …” I stuttered, still dazed by what had just happened.
    “My name is irrelevant,” he replied sharply.
    “B-but … you just …”
    “Yes,” he laughed slightly, without smiling. “The spider is dead. It was slightly tougher than I had thought. But it is dead.”
    “A-and you just …”
    “Look, here’s some free career advice, rookie. I suggest you remember it. Never,” he said, emphasizing the ‘never’. “Never start a fight you can avoid. I had this thing taken care of, and all you did was nearly get yourself ...” he looked over at Miyu’s now-moving, but no doubt sore, body. “and your friend killed.
    “But I was …”
    “Yes, and I appreciate that,” again, he didn’t sound like he meant it. “Let me repay you with a little insider knowledge.”
    “Okay …”
    “Turn back now. Leave these caverns, just ignore this whole area and go back to those ruins. There’s nothing down here but your death if you continue on.”
    I could not tell if he meant that as a warning or a threat, but I decided that I didn’t really want to find out after seeing what he did to the spider.
    “Alright …”
    Suddenly, Dryder ran up beside me.
    “Sorry,” he said, panting. “I would have been here sooner but I …”
    He stopped talking when he noticed the creature’s remains. Putting two and two together, he realized that neither I nor Miyu had done this, and that the man before us was the source of all this gore.
    “Oh my gods,” he muttered. Turning to face the warrior, he spoke more directly.
    “Sir,” he said, speaking in a tone as authoritative as the circumstances made possible. “it would be an honour if you would join us in this Contest and …”
    Again, the man laughed, still not smiling.
    “No, I don’t think so. Besides, there’s already three of you,” he said, a hint of humour in his voice, looking at me. “And I’m sure your friend here is strong enough to compete on his own.”
    “What are you getting at?” I asked, slightly less shocked and more than slightly more annoyed.
    “But he’s not even twice as strong as you!” Dryder exclaimed. Seconds later, having realized what he said, he tried in vain to correct himself, but was interrupted.
    “No, I’m sure he’s not,” the man said with another smileless chuckle
    The man turned away from us and started to walk deeper into the cavern. A few paces away, he turned back to us.
    “Oh, and rookie,?” he called back. “Try to look out for yourself. There won’t always be someone like be to save your ***.”
    Seconds later, he vanished into the dark, leaving us standing there to think about what just happened.
    “Who was that guy?” Dryder asked no one in particular. “Something about him seemed a little … odd.”
    “I don’t know,” I replied. “But whoever he is, I’m not inclined to say I like him.”
    “I get the idea it’s mutual,” Dryder said.
    At about this time, Miyu started to regain her composure.
    “Did we get it?” she asked weakly.
    “Yeah, the spider’s dead, but …” I said.
    “Ahren,” she muttered.
    “Yes?”
    “If you ever do that again, I’ll kill you myself.”

9. KazigluBey

KazigluBey New Member

Yes, a very interesting character. Wonder how he'll get involved later on. Hmmmm. . .

10. Novus

Novus Gone

Well, it's been a long time coming, but Chapter 13 is at last complete. I figured with all but one exam done, I could do a little work on the Saga, so here it is.

Chapter XIII – The Cavernous Conundrum

We had returned to the base of the stairs. Whatever that guy was up to in the caves below, we decided to take his advice and stay out of it. Besides, I would have been perfectly happy to never see him again.
    “Well,” I said. “what now?”
    “Hey,” Miyu replied. “I thought you wanted to be leader of this group, running off and getting us into fights like that.”
    “I was just trying to …”
    “This isn’t the time for arguing,” Dryder interrupted. “Don’t forget, we’re a team! We have to function as one!”
    “But he nearly got us killed!” Miyu protested.
    “Ahren was doing what he thought was right,” Dryder answered authoritatively. “That’s all any man can be expected to do, adventurer or otherwise.”
    “Besides,” I said, trying to change the subject. “we have a contest to win.”
    Both nodded their agreement.
    “Well,” Dryder began. “as I recall from my last trip down here, if we walk to the far side of the room we should find an altar and a doorway. We were passing through the door when we were attacked, so everyone stay alert.”
    “I’ll take point,” I said.
    Although it was still dark, my weapon had remained lit even through the fight. By its dim illumination, I could at last make out the shape of the altar up ahead. As we reached it, I noticed deep scratches on the floor, as if something very heavy had been recently dragged from either side.
    “Someone found their braziers,” Miyu observed. “We’ll just have to find them and get it back.”
    A slight wind blew through the doorway, carrying with it the scent of something unpleasant and familiar that I could not quite place.
    “There is supposedly a natural stock of obsidian running through here,” Dryder said. “If we travel through this doorway, it should take us down into caverns similar to the ones we were just in. We can probably find our quarry if we query down there … or the other way around, anyway.”
    “Well, on we go,” I said, gesturing with my glowing blade.
    Together, we stepped through the doorway and into the hall beyond. Unlike the rest of the ruins we had already explored, the walls here were not as finely-carved as they were above. It was obvious that the temple’s original inhabitants had hewn this passage more for function than form, unlike the rooms above.
    As we continued along the corridor, in the distance we could hear a deep rumbling sound, and I began to feel a slight breeze. This struck me as particularly odd, since we were underground. Further on, the rumbling slowing rose in volume, until it finally started to sound like a great waterfall. Some distance further, I could see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel: an opening up ahead. An orange light cast through the opening, and I knew in an instant that it must be dusk outside.
    At length another sound came intermingled with the roaring: the sound of two voices, shouting. As we approached, the voices stopped. Not long after, we reached a cavernous opening. In the through the centre of the cavern, a wide, fast-moving stream ran. Next to its banks there lay the unmoving body of another giant spider, though this one was much smaller than the other we had encountered. Across the stream, the corridor continued, the opening revealing the sunset looming ahead.
    “It looks as though my former companions have been through here,” Dryder said, pointing out some sections of the creature’s body which appeared to have been crushed.
    “Yeah,” I replied. “but where did they go?”
    “This stream is definitely too wide for anyone to jump,” Miyu said.
    “Especially for a dwarf,” Dryder added.
    “Too fast to swim,” I contributed. “and they would have had to have passed us on our way down here to get back to the entrance.”
    Suddenly, Miyu, who had been pacing the room pensively, called at us.
    “I think I found something!” she yelled.
    Together, Dryder and I ran to her position, next to one of the walls, where the stream burst forth. On the wall, there was set of carvings similar to the ones we had found on the altar.
    “I’ll translate!” Dryder said eagerly. “Faithful, recall the altar … forget not our Master’s teachings … touch the end … the way shall become clear.”
    “And what exactly is that supposed to mean?” Miyu asked impatiently.
    “I don’t know,” Dryder replied. “I’m just the translator.”
    Stepping closer to the carvings, I touched the last letter, the “end” of the inscription. Immediately, the carvings started to glow a shade of blue I had never seen outside of magical effects.
    “I had a hunch,” I smugly said.
    Seconds later, a bright flash of red light came from the bottom of the stream and the entire cavern began to rumble over the roar of the rushing water. Small stones began to fall from above, soon followed by larger ones.
    “What did you do this time?!” Miyu shrieked as we were scattered by a falling rock.
    “If I knew, I’d stop it!!” I yelled back as I narrowly dodged a boulder.
    The room was quickly filling with debris, but oddly the rocks only landed on our side of the stream.
    “Dryder!!” Miyu screamed. “Can your magic get us out of here?”
    “I don’t know any teleportation spells!” he frantically responded. “I’m sure this is some kind of riddle or test, but …”
    “But what?” I called. “Do you know how to stop this?”
    “I’m THINKING!!” he yelled back, leaping away from another rock.
    We were beginning to run out of room to manoeuver.
    “Think quickly!” Miyu and I screamed simultaneously.
    “Well … um … let’s see …” Dryder said, trying to think rationally under duress. “The carvings must have been a clue. Um … ‘recall the altar’ …”
    “The one upstairs?” I questioned. “What about it?”
    “‘Our Master’s teachings’ … that must mean the carvings on the first altar!” he reasoned. “But … what did it say?”
    “Something about a source …” Miyu recalled. “‘The biggest problems must start at the source’. But what does it mean?”
    I remembered that just before the avalanche started, something flared up from the entrance of the stream.
    “I have an idea!” Dryder shouted.
    “As do I!” I replied.
    Dryder and I dashed through the falling debris to the source of the stream, leaving a bewildered Miyu behind. Sure enough, there appeared to be a glowing stone at the bottom of the water. The only difficulty would be getting it.
    Quickly shedding my pack and most of my clothing, I dropped my rapier and grabbed my rope. Tying it to one of my feet, I shoved the other end into Dryder’s hands.
    “Whatever you do,” I instructed. “don’t let go! When I give a tug, pull me back up.”
    “No, you can’t seriously be going to …” he called after me, but I was already gone.
    Down into the depths of the stream I dived, struggling with all my might to fight the swift current. Even as I felt it dragging me farther and farther away from my objective, I could feel Dryder’s grip on the rope tightening. Fearing that he would lose his hold and I my life, I redoubled my efforts.
    My breath was beginning to fail me, and I was slowly losing strength. I had made progress, however, and I at last reached the glowing stone. My vision began to blur, either by the brightness of the red glow or by my lack of air. I reached for the stone and picked it up. Not knowing what to do, I tried striking it against some of the other stones.
    I began to lose my vision, and even the glow of the stone began to fade in my eyes. I could only assume that I was at last out of breath, and staying any longer underwater would mean my end. With the last of my strength, I pulled the end of the rope, hoping Dryder would pull me to the surface in time.
    Then, everything went black.

11. KazigluBey

KazigluBey New Member

"Whatever you do, don't let go" = famous last words :anime: Just kidding, hopefully. . .

12. Novus

Novus Gone

No, this isn't a new chapter update already. I'm not a machine.
    I just noticed that this thread finally broke 250 views ... theoretically that means a lot of people are reading this. I would like to thank you all for your support.

13. Novus

Novus Gone

Okay, I am a machine. Here's chapter 14. And I just added 13 to my website this afternoon ... well, looks like I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Chapter XIV – Prelude to Battle

Gasping for air, I awoke in a puddle. Dryder kneeled on the ground next to me, and a few feet away I could see Miyu, carrying my gear. The cavern seemed to be alit, but my rapier should have gone out when I did. Then I noticed a brightly glowing object hovering behind Dryder’s head.
    “What happened?” I groggily asked, coughing up what I hoped was water.
    “I could ask you the same question,” Dryder replied. “Whatever you did down there, it must have worked, because the rocks just suddenly stopped falling. Then I felt you pull the rope, and I pulled you back up.”
    “I thought I was going to die down there,” I coughed.
    “You’re just lucky that I have a few tricks of my own,” Dryder replied, helping me get up.
    Suddenly, the light flickered and went out.
    “Sorry,” Dryder said. “that spell was mostly meant as a temporary solution. If you could help us out …”
    “Of course,” I replied.
    I felt Miyu thrust the handle of my rapier into my hands, and I repeated my earlier light trick. The weapon began to glow once more, lighting the area. Far in the distance down the corridor, I could see a single pinpoint of light. Night had fallen outside, but in here it was much the same as ever.
    “You had best dress yourself before we move on,” Dryder said.
    It occurred to me that I was still more or less unclothed, as I had been during my dive. Miyu tossed me my clothing and I began put them on.
    It was then that I noticed the rocks that had nearly killed us had all vanished, but there was a bridge of fallen stone crossing the screen, near the even-more-crushed corpse of the spider.
    “It was weird,” Miyu began, as if she knew what I was thinking. “When Dryder pulled you up, the rocks just stopped. Not only that, but they vanished, too. And then that bridge appeared out of nowhere.”
    “Our predecessors commanded some powerful magic,” Dryder explained. “While you were out, I discovered another set of carvings, on the other end of the stream. Apparently, this stream was used by the temple’s builders as a source of holy water. It was very sacred to them.”
    “Hence the traps,” I reasoned.
    “I also managed to chip this off one of the walls,” he continued, holding up a small piece of a shiny, black stone.
    “Is that …” I began.
    “Obsidian,” he confirmed.
    “We’re so close,” Miyu said.
    “Now all we need is a brazier,” I said, thinking to myself. “I doubt we’re the only ones who have made progress today. We should get going.”
    “Of course,” Dryder replied.
    We crossed the bridge carefully, wary of any more surprises. No sooner had I set my foot on the solid ground than the bridge crumbled into the stream, washing away in the current.
    “Looks like we’ll have to find another way back,” Miyu said.
    Entering the corridor, we continued along our way. I noticed a very gradual upward slope, and the air became much fresher. We were approaching the opening, and a cool breeze began to blow, carrying with it the same unpleasant aroma I had smelled earlier.
    The corridor eventually started to widen, and a short distance ahead it opened into another cavern. As we drew nearer, we saw a campfire blazing ahead. Promptly hiding behind a few nearby rocks and dropping to the ground, we strained our eyes to find the fire’s lighter.
    At this distance, I could finally see the opening we had been approaching. It was much larger than I would have thought, taking up most of the far wall of the cavern, offering an impressive view of the starry sky and the ocean below, even from my poor angle. I could make out two vague figures in the firelight, and hear two distinct voices, but at this distance I couldn’t make out what they were saying.
    “I’ll go for a closer look,” Miyu said.
    Before either of us could protest she was gone.
    “And she complains about me …” I muttered.
    Miyu’s vague form slid silently across the cavern, noticeable only because it obstructed the view of the stars outside. Just out of the fire’s light, she dropped to the ground and crawled behind a small rock. A few minutes later, she slinked back to our position.
    “Two people over there,” she said, pausing to catch her breath. “Those contestants from the town, that pig of a dwarf and the blond monk …”
    “Rurik and Gafgarion,” Dryder interrupted, speaking mostly to himself. “So they did make it this far.”
    “Anyway,” Miyu continued. “they’ve got two braziers over there, and I overheard them say they have all the items now.”
    “We’ll just have to do something about that then, won’t we?” I suggested.
    “I almost hate to have to fight them,” Dryder said. “I mean, they were my companions. On the other hand, they aren’t any more, and I’d like to win just to show them how big a mistake they made in booting me.”
    “I’m glad we’re all on the same page,” Miyu said. “There’s a few rocks near their camp site. If we can make it there without them hearing us, we should be able to catch them off guard.”
    “What are we waiting for, then?” I eagerly said. “Let’s move out!”

14. KazigluBey

KazigluBey New Member

Next time on "Happy Fun Novus Writing Time!", the big, graphic fight scene. :anime: Just kidding. But hey, simpliest solution to the problem would be to take 'em out! ;)

15. Novus

Novus Gone

Just a heads up: I have chapter 16 done, but it's not going to get posted until I can find a disk. It's on my computer (which doesn't have Internet access right now), and I'm posting on my family's. So, I have to find a disk so I can move my files over here.
    Anyway, I'm going to write 17 this week, so expect lots of happy fun writing in the near future.

16. Novus

Novus Gone

Okay, it's been a long time coming ... but here's the next. Maybe I'll get around to finishing this thing soon ... I hope so, but can't make any promises.

Chapter XV – Battle Start

Before we could make our move, I would have to douse my light. Sheathing the weapon, my light spell was deactivated, and I once again drew the weapon, ready for the battle ahead. Miyu also had her dagger drawn, and I assumed Dryder had done whatever it is that sorcerers do before a battle.
    Eager to begin, Miyu led the way across the cavern. Staying low to the ground, she followed much the same path she had taken during her reconnaissance. Crouching behind a rock a short distance from our soon-to-be adversaries, she gestured for us to follow.
    Doing my best to keep myself from being heard, I slinked through the shadows. As I moved through the dimness, I was able to pick up bits of the conversation between the two companions. Apparently, the dwarf was convinced that they had been making progress through the caves only because they had abandoned “that good-for-nothing lunkhead of a sorcerer,” but the other was not so convinced, attributing their success more to the fact that both had pushed themselves much harder since the breaking of their fellowship with Dryder.
    Having slowed for a moment to catch a few words of their speech, I began to pick up my step, prompted by Miyu’s frantic gesturing for me to hurry up. I had not taken more than two steps before my foot struck a small stone I had not seen in the darkness, sending it rolling across the cavern. Immediately, I dropped to the ground completely, lying face down on the stone floor.
    “Who goes there?” the monk called, raising his voice and turning to look in my direction. “Show yourself, or face our wrath.”
    The dwarf turned as well, and the two sat in silence, listening. The wind began to pick up, howling through the cavern’s opening and winding back towards the corridor.
    “It’s just the wind, you crazy oaf,” the dwarf said, laughing heartily. “You probably took one to many rocks to the head back there, and now you’re losing it.”
    “I was sure I heard something …” the monk replied, still straining his ears.
    “Just what I needed,” the dwarf grumbled. “Giant spiders, ancient ruins, falling rocks … a delusional monk is all this Contest was missing.”
    “Perhaps you are right,” the monk answered, turning back to the fire. “Nevertheless, I suggest we do not let our guard down.”
    “Do what you want,” the dwarf rumbled. “but I’m taking a nap.”
    Pulling the brim of his helmet over his eyes, he stretched out on the hard ground.
    “Wake me if we get attacked or something,” he said with a slight chuckle.
    Relieved at yet another close call, I half-crawled behind the rock where an exasperated Miyu sat waiting.
    “That was close,” I whispered.
    Miyu nodded, then waved at Dryder for him to join us. Cautiously, the elf started to cross the distance between our position and his. As focused as he was on maintaining his silent approach, our companion lost sight of the road ahead of him. Immediately ahead of him. In mid-stride, he crashed into a rock about halfway to his knees in height. Falling to the ground in an audible heap, I heard him utter a short curse in his native tongue.
    “Rurik!” the monk shouted, rising quickly to his feet. “This time I knew I heard something!”
    “This better be good,” the dwarf grumbled, grabbing his hammer from the ground next to him and standing up.
    I was about to leap out to defend our ally when Miyu grabbed me by the back of my cloak.
    “Wait,” she silently hissed. “In a minute they’ll be distracted by our friend out there, and then we attack.”
    I nodded my agreement, although I was not too keen on leaving Dryder at the hands of his former companions even momentarily. Miyu and I moved into ready positions, set to leap from the shadows like a panther onto its prey.
    “On the count of three,” Miyu whispered as the two approached our prone companion.
    “One …”
    The two now stood frighteningly close to Dryder, but in the dark they could not tell that the figure on the ground in front of them was in fact the ally they had left behind.
    “Two …”
    “Get up,” the dwarf growled. “You can at least die like a man.”
    “Three!”

17. KazigluBey

KazigluBey New Member

I told ya to take 'em out! :anime: