Computers Hard Drive Crash

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MamiyaOtaru, Jun 2, 2002.

1. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

My hard drive crashed last night. I couldn't be read from. The computer wasn't aware of it's existance, despite the very audible clicking noises from the HD that should have tipped it off.

That clicking noise is knows as 'the click of death.' It is the head of your hard drive scoring or scratching the surface of your hard disk. It will start to skip, like a record, and become completely unuseable and unrecoverable. I never back things up, so I was in real trouble.

But, I put the hard drive in the freezer overnight, and this morning it started up and worked for long enough for me to back my stuff up before it died again.

Lesson: back stuff up! Or, if you are too lazy (like me), get a RAID drive! And if it does die, put it in the freezer! (hopefully it never comes to that. It's not a 100% fix)

Your local thankful to still have his data president of Joy,
    MamiyaOtaru

2. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

well, least you didn't let the magic smoke escape. that's the worst thing that can happen...i understand the crash thing tho...mine wasn't audible...it destroyed the FAT on it's own...the last time i got it to load to windows, it was there for 3 hours backing up stuff at afreinds house...that b**** and his 360 gig worth of hd....i second the back up vote! get a burner or a freind with one!!

3. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

and don't even go for a zip drive. those things cost too much and so do their disks! some punk stole mine at school. the punk. like to sock him/her over the head. and it was my last day in that mac lab too! get a cd burner. I'm going to get one when I get a loan. those things are awesome. thanks for the advice on the freezer thing. hope it doesn't come to that. my second HD is new anyways. lol. my computer is like brand new almost. going to plug everything in tonight!

4. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

:eek:

That's terrible, Mamiya!! And thank you for the timely reminder to back everything up.

BTW, how did putting your hardware on ice fix the drive (at least temporarily?)

~ Aoi

5. chupito

chupito New Member

This is awful MO!!!! Never happend with me, but i think it's the coolest advice i ever read in my whole life. Thanks! I'm working on CPD(wich means computers central) and i dun no this stuff, paula no baka. Could you give me some lessons?! :)

6. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

hrm, that happend to me about 2-3 years ago with my 2nd hd, very annoying.

i still have it here.. wonder if putting it in the freezer will help at this stage :p

7. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Yeah that happened to me as well, but instead of trying to fix it, I grabbed my dad's sledge hammer in the basement and smashed my computer to pieces.