Art Help for a horrible artist?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lady Aoi, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

As many of you may know,I can't draw to save my life, but someday I'd like to draw well enough to at least negotiate for it. (Bad Joke,I know. I sleepy) What would you fine artist ladies and gents suggest I do? Would classes help, or can one truly teach oneself to draw decently? Again I'm not asking to be amazingly talented as an artist.Just competent.

~ Aoi

2. Lime

Lime Claude ish MY honey ^.^

Alright...There is many things you should do! Well first of all, before you do ANYTHING get a few mecanical pencils, and a BUNCH of paper (your gonna need it). Goto http://www.bakaneko.com/ and check out their Anime drawing Tutorial. If that doesnt help, or if you don't like their style, search for more drawing sites. Better yet, you should even pick up some how to draw manga/anime books...those are always helpful, but quite complicated...I suggest searching the internet, and finding the style you like best. :D Any questions?

3. Lime

Lime Claude ish MY honey ^.^

Oh Yes! Some more words of wisdom...

-Always start with the face and eyes first! Until you mastered them, or are confident about moving ahead. The way you draw the eyes and face can tell many things about the artist.

-Try not to get fusturated and quit! Try not to scribble things out, throw stuff away, or crumple them up. We all get fusturated at times, but keep all doodles or mistakes you do. As they say "You learn from your mistakes!"

-Always try new styles or certain ways to draw something. Find the style best for you!

-Always ask questions ^.^ Were here to help!

4. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Yet Aoi, what would you specifically like to draw? maybe check out an art gallery or museum for different techiniques. theres so much more artistic styles then manga, so please specify if it was pencil,paper and managa you wanted. :)

5. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

carry a sketch book or something to doodle in...draw everything...ppl you know stuff that kinda thing. you can learn alot about your style thro looking at that. like if you draw realistically, keeping everything in proportion that kinda thing. or if your abstract, does it look like a desk if you were on enough crack? or if you like the cartoon/comicbook thing, is that how you think a desk should look in your eyes?
    i agree with the faces. the human face, to me, is the easiest and most recognized part to me. first thing i see is the eyes of a person. so that's where i start. draw what ever you like and is of interest to you. you don't want to lose interest in what your drawing cause then you'll be bored with drawing....especially if you do it too often. classes help some ppl alot, others less...depends on if you need the force to draw shoved on you.
    if you need a good still face or soemthing to try, take an action figure or brib a friend. *^-^*

ok...stopping....too long...ugh lol<--using both meanings...lol

6. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

You guys are all so wonderful! Thank you!!!

~ Lady Aoi

7. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Oooo, goooood site.
    DrunkLeprachaun adds it to his favourites.

8. JEDI_X

JEDI_X New Member

take a class and practice practice practice

9. Kenshin

Kenshin Commander *nix

10. JEDI_X

JEDI_X New Member

Go HERE. This book might help. I've browsed thru it when at Barnes and Noble.

11. YokoburiKinura

Wow, there's already been a lot of great suggestions here. I mostly schooled myself by looking at an image on my computer screen, like a stilled DVD, and trying to draw exactly what I was looking at, and then I guess I got really perfectionistic about it, so it naturally taught me a lot about faces, shading, and proportions. I agree with Lime that the face is the part to focus on. Anyway, it gave me enough of a boost that when I got the 'How to Draw Manga' books a few months later, I was really able to get something out of them as far as my original stuff goes.

Good luck in developing your skills. Gambaruyo!

12. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Find the fun part of it!

Drawing anime style> Choose one of you favorite anime artist or get you fav anime and watch it. Look at the lines, the way they color, the hair. Try to focus on the little thing not the big picture *ofcourse that the hard part since you are then carried away by the anime :D* Try to imitate their style first, later on you can put you touches, and improve their art. YOu can select anothe artist and imitate his/her style. This will help you innovate a techinque.

ie) Yu Watase style drawing and tesuya Noumura CG style :)

Landscapes and objects> Have sketch book with you always. Anything you find interesting (food. a lake etc.), try to sketch. Look closely at the whole picture as well as perspective.
    YOu might as well find books and aid here to learn about perpective lines, shadow, light etc. :)

13. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member