hi dirk i'm a Big GoS fan too

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by redturbo, Nov 10, 2004.

1. gatch72

gatch72 New Member

I know i got some of those too...BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!

2. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

I guess I can say I'm part of a niche fanbase for particular promos/bumpers..........this fanbase searches for such obscure things for nostalgic reasons.

So I'm really looking forward to seeing these obscure G-Force promos/bumpers.

About the PAL thing, I really don't know if my DVD player is region-free........I have a JVC DVD player from 2003 and it was a hand-me-down, meaning I have no manual. I am planning to get another DVD player of some sort though before the end of the year.

3. Meridian

Meridian New Member

PAL isn't the same as region code though. I assume the DVDs that Gatch72 is putting together will be region code 0 or region free. PAL is the actual encoding of the signal. In the US and Canada you use NTSC, which has more frames per second but less actual lines on screen than PAL. So it's whether your player and TV can handle the different signal, not the region code.

4. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

I got my region-free DVD player on eBay for $35. I guess it's really easy to do if you know what you're doing. I specifically asked if it would play both PAL and NTSC, because I knew the UK BotP DVD set was PAL Region 2. Just in case, when I got it, I bought a cheap PAL R2 DVD and it worked! Then I tried one of my DVDs and that worked. It's a true region free DVD player! So I'm sure you can pick one up quickly and inexpensively. It literally opens the world up for you. Now I can get my R4 Voltron DVDs from Austrailia. :)

So yeah...I would pick one up so you can watch the UK GoS DVDs.

5. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Well, my TV is a 25' Sharp from Jan.2001, so at least its from this decade. Dunno how it would handle a PAL signal though, I hear many plain-jane NTSC TV's turn wonky when being presented with a PAL signal.

As far as DVD players go, I'm still browsing the many out there to see which one will perfectly compliment my TV set and my stereo, as well as fulfilling the purpose of being region-free. When it comes to electronics I'm quite "anal" as they say (if you're giggling at that then you have some growing up to do!) and wouldn't just go out and buy something on a limb unless I'm sure I get every single dollar's worth out of it. I damn well make sure my electronics last for ages as well, seeing as I have no annoying little brothers/cousins etc. to make things difficult. Did I mention I'm weary of "unknown" or notoriously low-quality name brands?

Alright then, back to G-Force. I'm sure that those who have seen GoS extensively know that it has a very small pool of voice actors that do the voices for everyone, a la Speed Racer (though SR had it worse, with 4 VA's for EVERYONE!). Because of this, the narration (provided by overzealous narrator in Gatch and 7-Zark-7 in BotP) suffers, but it does change the perspective of the narration into a first-person viewpoint oddly, as either Ace Goodheart or Dr. Brighthead provide the narration. Though its yet another testament to the low budget that the dubbing team had to work with. *sigh* So many GoS questions, yet nobody with some genuine insight. Think I should turn to Sandy Frank Entertainment for questions, or would they promptly scold me for mentioning the "red-headed stepchild"? The people at SFE have to know something...............

6. G-3

G-3 New Member

well if this PAL won't work with my tv, i guess i'm out of luck again, :(
    oh well the hunt is still on!

7. gatch72

gatch72 New Member

if u have a region free dvd player, it should not be a problem to play pal..the bopt movie i have is pal, but i can make it region free too.

8. Meridian

Meridian New Member

PAL is not the same as region code. If you have NTSC equipment, there is a possibility that it might not be able to handle a PAL signal regardless of whether it's region free or not.

However, if you're playing it on a PC rather than a TV, then obviously PAL and NTSC become irrelevant. Whatever software you're using will handle the signal difference, as it'll all be playing in a window anyway.

9. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Wow, what a bummer. I'll figure something out though.