Historical Difficulties

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by GentatsuNoZanshi cc61, Jul 2, 2001.

1. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I'm sorry to rain on everyone's parade over here, but I still can't get over this one inaccuracy with the technology base of Kenshin. The series does such a good job of capturing historical stuff, that this seems even more severe.
    The early episodes take place in the late 19th century, and yet I saw a gatling gun in one of the episodes. This may not seem too odd, but consider that this technology was not perfected until 1882 by its inventor, the American R. J. Gatling, and was not widely used until the early 20th century, this strikes me as odd.
    Maybe I'm just obsessing again ...

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I guess with all that studying of Japanese history the creators forgot to look up American history...such as the gatling gun.

But atleast the whole history and the characters in the show weren't totally butchered from who and what they actually were. I mean look at Saitoh Hajime, who was actually a part of the Shinsen Gumi and used the gatotsu technique. Also the era's are correct too, such as the Edo(or Tokugawa) and the Meiji era's. Also the transition of the two era's, the Bakumatsu(1860 - 1899).

It's not like disney created Kenshin or anything...

3. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Honestly, though, should a series pass itself off as historically accurate if it only considers the history of one society? In the modern global community, is this acceptable?

(just me obsessing about the insignificant again)

4. That guy!

The gun was invented in 1862. It was test-fired many times for representatives of the U.S. government and for representatives of foreign governments. On May 9, 1865, the weapon was patented. The gun was subject to a variety of problems, including jamming, and was modified at Cooper's Firearms Manufactory in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and subsequently at Colt's Armory in Hartford, Connecticut. Orders for the gun were placed by the governments of Russia, Hungary, Turkey and others.
    -http://www.spanamwar.com/Gatling.htm

If it was patented in 1865 it could have reached some illegal distributors, and also it may have been ordered by the Japanese.

[This message has been edited by That guy! (edited 07-04-2001).]

5. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I agree on that, but where were the firing problems in the show? And what was a drug dealer (correct me if I have the wrong character, it's been a while) doing with experimental technology? If he was, like most dealers, only concerned with his own life and money, why was he operating a weapon that put his own life in jeopardy?

6. That guy!

Rurouni Kenshin has some elements of Japanese History in it, but this does not mean it is a completely true story. It is still a fictional show. Being a fictional show there aren't many limits to what the show may have, they could throw in some air planes for all I'm concerned..or some space cruisers...or a giant Gekiganger 3!!

If it were a true story, that would be cool if it were possible for a human to have god-like speed.

[This message has been edited by That guy! (edited 07-04-2001).]

7. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

hehe ThatGuy touched at the end on what I was going to say. If we have probles with experimental weapons, I have problems with guys who can jump 10 feet into the air, have massive oil bags in their throat, hypnotize people with their eyes, compressed air cutting people and ground, etc.
    Plenty more in eps I haven't seen (guy flying around with dynamite sticks, mummy looking guy with something sharp in there)

So yeah, it's not all real.
    ---------------
    Ranma though, is all real

8. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Hi there,

I can see that you are judging (RUROUNI KENSHIN) from the stuff they need, it is just a cartoon for god's sake.

By the way, what kind of cartoon do you like?

Yours,
    Zanza

9. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

[PSYCHO MODE ON! [​IMG] :angry]
    JUST A CARTOON!!! JUST A CARTOON!!! NO ANIME AS GOOD AS KENSHIN IS JUST A CARTOON!!!
    [PSYCHO MODE ON! :calm]
    Besides, a show that is basically realistic should strive for realism. Also, those who feel that Kenshin is the best anime out there, you should know that such a series should have believable aspects, and to a TRIVIA MANIAC! like myself, this one seems a little, well, unbelievable.
    [PSYCHO MODE OFF! [​IMG]]
    Sorry about that, my circuits must be crossed. I'll quit the obsessing now ...
    [RESUMING ZANSHI NORMAL PROGRAM]

10. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Just wondering where you guys found the Information on the actual historical Kenshin..
    (NOT THE GATLING GUN)
    KaMe

11. That guy!

I pretty much went to google.com and typed in "Historical References in Rurouni Kenshin". I thank anyone who I got info from(hehe, just don't want to get sued or something)

12. Zanza

Staff Member

Yes it is just an anime cartoon, don't act like you love rurouni Kenshin that much ...

I love Rurouni Kenshin so much that sometimes I wish to go back there by a timemachine !!! [​IMG]

You shouldn't find every thing that makes you sad from Kenshin, for an example,
    Kenshin stopped killing when he had the X-scar, right? But sometimes they shows Kenshin killing peopel with that scar, it didn't bother me that much! I was just enjoying the great art of Japan ! [​IMG]

Yours,
    Zanza *zzzzzzz*

13. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

MUST .... RESIST .... URGE ... TO RESPOND .... OBSESSIVELY! .... CANNOT .... OBSESS .... ABOUT .... SERIES .... MUST .... RESUME .... NORMAL .... FUNCTION ....

Back to harassing Trekkies, then!

------------------
    Zanshi, Paranoid Android

14. That guy!

If this is going to cause upset within the Kenshin forum, I may have to close this thread.

SIMMER DOWN NOW!!
    SIMMER DOWN!!

[​IMG]

15. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Pls THAT GUY dont ... [​IMG]
    We will behave [​IMG]
    so pls dont [​IMG]

16. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

[DEFLECTORS UP! [​IMG]]
    I believe that the first two words of my topic-starting comment were "I'm sorry", and I've stated that I'm going to stop obsessing about this now, so it seems to me that you're the ones obsessing now, but instead of obsessing about details, you're obsessing about my obsession with details. So, in a nutshell, you're obsessing about obsessions.

"You just watch yourself. I have a death sentence on twelve systems."
    -Dr. Evazan, Star Wars: A New Hope-

------------------
    Zanshi, Paranoid Android

17. Zanza

Staff Member

Yes, Please THAT GUY don't ... [​IMG]
    We will behave ... [​IMG]
    so please don't ... [​IMG]

18. That guy!

I wasn't going to... but the need to calm down is there.

If I go insane, it's those pesticides in the corn I tell you!!!!

"May the corn be with you"
    -Rob

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

post diving

hehe, wow this is a really old post...

anyway, as stated teh Gatling gun was used in the Bakumatsu. essentially its what gave the Ishin Shishi the upper hand. while maybe not a perfect weapon, it still was very advanced and im sure many other countries got their hands on illegal versions.

now, not only should you look at the historical inaccuracies but you should also look at the things that are true. and many many things are.
    from book 1 historical evidence comes up.
    Kaoru states how its illegal for Kenshin to be carrying a katana. well on January 1, 1877 the Meiji government put up a ban that stated that only the Military and the Kenkakukekantai could carry swords.

Saitou Hajime is a real person. He was the third capitan of the Shinsengumi and was seperated from his troop during the battle for Toba Fushimi. he took part during the Seinan wars under the direct control of Police Commisioner Kawaji Toshiyoshi, under the name Fujita Gorou.

Watsuki proved to be a master as mixing fact and fiction into what i consider one of the greatest anime every produced.