Creative Writing Holiday Challenge: Submissions ONRY

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by Bloodberry, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

Please only put your holiday short story submissions here.

title
    (author if you want...i think i might now by the poster though heh)
    ------------

story

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

"Snowfall scene", an excerpt from the Unwritten "Donosan Chronicles"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

It was that time of year again that I loathed so much. I know Christmas is supposed to be a real happy period of the year, with gatherings and whatnot, but I've never been much for those kinds of activities. To be honest, those kind of get-togethers are a big contributor to how I took up the bounty trade. Hunting is a very solitary life, and for years I can't remember the last time I gave any sort of holiday more than a nod.

Of course, that kind of attitude couldn't be further from Yuki's. As December came on strong from the get-go I was already cursing the cold winds, but Yuki seemed all aglow wrapped up in heavy faux fur and hanging off my arm with a vise-like grip that could only be described as a bear hug. It was annoying, and I was beginning to think she was cutting off my circulation, but at the same time I was beginning to secretly enjoy the attention she was giving me. That is to say that positive attention from Yuki was something of a rarity, and a welcome change from our usual clashes of interest.

"It never snowed this much back home," she said, a little spark of awe jumping into her speech. "Kind of strange to be named after the stuff only to rarely get to see it, huh?"

I wasn't really paying attention to her words. I was too busy scanning the area for hiding points. After all, we were here on a job, and I intended to get it done sooner rather than later. I was already missing the comforts of a heated home, and stopping to admire the snowfall wasn't at the top of my to-do list.

The small valley had several surrounding hills, and I'd already identified the best vantage point of the lot. With luck, the two of us would be there soon.

"I've been doing some thinking, Dono," she continued speaking from beside me. "I know we've only known each other a few months now, but I've never really had anyone who's been there for me before. You know what I mean?"

I thought I saw some movement just over the top of the right ridge. I raised my sight a bit higher to focus in on it. No one else should have been here yet, but there was no ruling it out. If someone were setting their sights on us, we were currently in a terrible clutch position to fend off an attack. I continued watching as we moved on, working out escape routes in my mind.

I'd figured my arm had gone numb, but the increased sudden squeeze from Yuki restored the notion that it was indeed still attached. "Are you even listening?" she demanded.

I turned to her, doing my best to suppress any trace of the irritation coursing through me. "Look, can we get to your holiday chatter once we've gotten to the checkpoint? We're sitting ducks out here in the middle of an open ski trail and we don't really have time for it."

Something told me immediately after I'd spoken that her chatter was intended to lead up to more substance than I'd given it credit for. I'd expected Yuki to turn to foul mood and stew in her usual silence, but this time she was determined not to back down. I was already regretting my words, but it was too late to withdraw them now.

"Do you even know why I'm here, Dono?" she asked, all traces of her smile gone. Any emotion altogether had hollowed out and left her for that matter. She always did have a good poker face. "I could have simply watched you walk off back then when we first met and I had that medallion. I admit, at first I was just looking for a diversion from life when I started tagging along with you. But over time my outlook has changed."

Time was slowing. I had an idea of where she was going with the whole speech, but what worried me was how it would all end up. Rejection was something I was becoming increasingly skilled at handling, especially advances made on Yuki. But this was quickly leading into territory I wasn't too sure I was mentally equipped enough to handle.

"Dono, I want you know you mean a great deal to me. I've never met anyone like you. I just wanted to thank you for... well, to thank you for being you."

Then I felt the grip on my arm loosen up as she pulled away a hand to fish into the folds of her coat. Out it came with a small locket that she held out in the space between us. "I've been trying to get this to you the entire weekend, but we never really had any time to ourselves until now. Think of it as a Christmas gift."

My hands were shaking slightly as I took the thing. I hoped Yuki didn't notice, but I had the excuse of the chill in the air if it came into question. She looked on expectantly as I flipped it open to see the small photo attached inside. It was the two of us. To be exact, it was shot of us from when I threw that surprise party for her birthday. I'd never thought much of the photo before, but the both of us were drunk silly and smiling like there was nothing better in the world. I must have reacted in some way to seeing it again just then, because Yuki's face regained its lost glow.

"I don't know what to say," I told her, really just filling the gap of silence while I tried to muster something more intelligent. "I don't feel right, either, to be honest. I don't have anything to give you in return."

She opened her mouth almost right away to say something, but shut it almost as fast, turned away. We stood in silence like that for another passing of uncomfortable seconds. "How about," she eventually began to speak faintly. She turned to look at me again more timidly than I'd ever seen her. "A kiss?"

It was like one of those scenes out of a motion picture. She sat there, her heart beating out of control, her form aglow against a white backdrop of slow falling flakes. I took a step forward. Placing my hands to rest on either of her shoulders, I leaned in slowly and for the first time, our lips touched. For the first time I could remember, I forgot my bounty altogether.

3. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

"The Wish in the Mirror"

To start this story I have decided to tell you about my first real Christmas. It first started off as nothing spectacular. This Christmas we didn’t have much. In fact we had nothing.

Before I jump a head of my self let me first tell you my name. My name is Edda Primrose. With Edda meaning rich which I never was or even dared dream of. My family was poor. At times I felt even poorer then the dirt we walked upon if that was at all possible. There was one thing I could be thankful for that being my name wasn’t Easter.

Easter is my best friend. The poor child had enough problems with that name. I could tell you the name calling that went along with that name but I won’t.

There I go getting off on the subject. I have a hard time staying on track due to my current age. I am a rather old woman right now. So let’s get back to the matter at hand before I forget.

I was nine years old when I experienced my first Christmas. I remember sitting up at the table which was an over turned carton. I was on the floor. The floor was cold and dirty.

My home was worse then a shack from what I could tell. It had one room which contained our one ratty blanket, clothes, a stove of sorts and the wood pile to go with it, a wash, a tiny window, a door, a pail, the table, a few table wares, and a full mirror.

It was just my ma and me. Today was Christmas Eve. I sat there crying while my ma cooked diner. My knees were pushed up to my chest. I buried my face in them. Big fat tears rolled down my cheeks. I was hungry and wanted something for Christmas. I knew I wasn’t being fair to my ma. But I didn’t care. I was only nine years old. I wanted something other then potatoes to eat.

I knew she did her best. She had even made our first sort of Christmas tree. It was a limb from a pine tree. I had decorated it with pinecones. But still I wanted something else.

I guess the idea got into my head when I met Easter. We met a few months before hand when we both were fetching water from the well for our families. I could tell right away that her family was a better off then my own.

Easter had curly blond hair that wasn’t dirty or frizzy or tangled unlike my auburn hair. I eyed her closely. She had good clothes. There was a chance that they weren’t hand me downs unlike my own.

We became best friends. She was the one that told me about Christmas. I was amazed that there was such a holiday. I wondered why my mother never told me about it.

I knew Easter was better off. She had a mother and a father. No other mouths to feed but the three. With two people working I could tell that it made a load of difference. Maybe that was why my mother never told me about Christmas.

Aye, getting off the topic at hand, I am sorry about that. My mind tends to wonder. My memories are my most precious things even if they are fading.

To return to the story I sat there crying. I was throwing the biggest fit of my life. My ma thought it best to ignore me. She was right. What can you give a child when you have nothing to give?

Even with my heavy sobs I could hear my mother humming. It was a Christmas tune of sorts. She told me that it was but I have never heard it sung from anyone else but her. Well, I hadn’t heard of Christmas until not that long ago.

I should have been happy when I asked her about Christmas that she told me. She had smiled and said it was time to celebrate it. Easter told me what she was getting for Christmas and what she was having. My Christmas paled in comparison.

I don’t recall what happened next. But I guess I spied the mirror. It hung on the wall opposite of the stove only a few feet from the table. I could see my reflection in it. The amber light from the stove gave it a different appearance.

I must have moved towards the mirror to investigate. From there I remember my image wasn’t what it was supposed to be. My hair wasn’t tangled. It was straight. My face was clean even though I knew it should have been dirty. There should have been streaks of dirt running down my cheeks due to my tears. My eyes should have been puffy and red because of my crying. But they weren’t they were pretty. My hazel eyes with a touch of green.

As I stared in the mirror I noticed many differences. My face should have been disfigured. My lack of nutrition should have taken away its grace. My cheeks were no longer ghastly. Health radiated off of my face. The skin the color of silky milk brushed with a roses kiss across the cheeks stared back at me. Could this person be the real me?

It was a shock. There had to be more to this. As my eyes skimmed the mirror I noticed her dress. It was beautiful then I noticed that my reflection winked at me. I hadn’t winked. I watched as she tilted her head slightly allowing me to see what was behind her. I finally saw the Christmas tree.

My eyes widened. It was decorated with things I could never image. Bells that looked to be made of silver were fastened on the branches. I yearned to hear them ring. It had to make a beautiful melody.

The Christmas tree was lit with candles. It made the stars on the tree sparkle. As if the stars had fallen from the heavens. It was an amazing for my eyes to see. There were so many things planted within its branches. I wanted to touch them all.

As if by instinct I looked back. My face became crestfallen. It wasn’t my Christmas tree. I was still here. I wanted so much to go there. I looked back at the girl wishing it wasn't a dream.

She had her arm raised as if reaching for me. I also lifted my arm. Reaching towards the glass my hand went past it. It rippled. Could I go into the mirrors world?

I allowed my hand to go in further. Soon my wrist had disappeared inside the mirror. I felt a tug at my wrist. The girl pulled on me.

I turned around seeing my ma before I fell down. I remember reaching my hands out in order to catch myself. But instead after I landed I bounced back up. It took three or four more bounces to stabilize myself. I was in the mirrors world and looking at the ground. It was blue like the sky back home. I bounced along the way to try it out.

“Having fun?” A voice called to me.

I looked up. It was the same voice as mine. It was the girl who spoke though. I nodded at her.

“Good,” she said. “This is your world after all.”

She smiled at me as I continued to stare at her. Her image slowly started to disappear being replaced by light. Orbs of light that shined beautifully. I cried out in shock.

“It’s okay,” she said. “You have come. It is time for me to go.”

She disappeared completely being replaced by the orbs. It swirled around coming towards me until it soared off into the sky then disappearing from my view.

I guess I was young then. I didn’t fully understand what happened. Or maybe it was better that way. I could comprehend what was going on but I really didn’t question it. This world was too much like a dream.

The sky was a light magenta almost pink with violet clouds. Two light grey suns and one green cyan moon hung there. Trees floated as if their roots were actually their wings. They were of all sizes and types. It was a sight unlike any other to be seen.

The only tree that was planted was the Christmas tree. I remember bouncing over to it. I touched the silver bell. It sounded pleasing just like I thought it would. I touched the other ornaments. Inspecting each one.

“Hello,” a voice interrupted my inspections.

I looked around. “Who’s there?” I called out.

“Me,” said the tree that I held the ornament too.

I released the ornament and fell back out of shock and fright. I bounced then finally stabilized on the ground. “How…”

“Is this possible?”

I nodded not being able to make any sound come out.

“Anything is possible in this world. We all talk.”

“All?” I asked finally finding my voice.

“Yes, everything here,” the tree paused if thinking. “Well almost everything. Wave and say hello to the other trees.”

I pushed myself up the best I could from the ground. It wasn’t easy. The ground after all was bouncy. After I had risen I raised my hand and said hello like the Christmas tree told me to do. Greetings from them all followed me. I smiled and waved my hand. I cried hello at the top of my lungs. Giant hellos followed my own.

I heard the tree chuckle. I looked at it and smiled to. This place seamed so pleasant. I decided to explore some.

I bounced off with the tree telling me to have fun. I came to a lake. It was white as if made out of cream. I took a drink. It was delicious and refreshing. I was happy but something was off then I heard crying. I looked around searching for who made that sound. I had wondered back to the tree.

“Look in the mirror.”

I did what I was told. My mother was crying at the table. “Ma,” I called out my voice displaying my sadness. “Why is she so sad?”

“She wishes to see you.”

“See me?” I looked at the Christmas tree realizing why. “Is that...” The tree nodded as if it knew what I would say. I smiled I knew what to do.

I walked into the mirror returning to my world. I went to her. “Ma.”

She looked up. “I am so sorry,” she said with eyes full of tears.

“It is okay ma,” I said and hugged her. After I finished hugging her I took her hand. I tugged on it. “Come ma.”

“Where?”

“Trust me,” I pulled her to the mirror. I knew she was in shock when we went threw it.

“What is this?”

“Happiness now and the meaning of Christmas.” She looked at me not fully understanding. “We can be together ma that is all that matters. I am sorry that I hurt you,” tears fell from my face.

“It’s okay child,” my ma said hugging me.

It was then that I released what was missing in the mirrors world and what the meaning of Christmas was. We had many adventures my ma in me in that world. But the best times were when we were together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.