Art How did you Learn?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ::ZodiacStone::, Apr 19, 2003.

?

How'd you learn how to Draw?

1. I was born with it!

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. From a Drawing Guide

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. An Internet Website

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Other. (If so please post how!)

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ::ZodiacStone::

::ZodiacStone:: New Member

Hey Ya'll! I don't know if I'm supposed to be posting this here but if not it can be moved or deleted.

Anyway- How did you learn to draw? Was it a gift that you were born with or did you learn from drawing guides or an internet site or what? And if it wasn't a gift- Tell me where you learned from!!!:)

2. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

I just started scribbling when I was a kid.(then I moved on the drawing the ninja turtles. the only "fan art" I ever did I may add)

I think it's the same with most people.
    They just start when they were little kids, maybe encouraged by a parent or sibling and it goes from there.

I don't think it's genetic or anything.

edit: oh yeah then I did it in school and am doing it in college

3. Kamui

Kamui X//1999... best anime eva

One day... I jsut said to my slef... "You know... I wonder if I can draw this stuff..."

and ... I just looked at some stuff and vawala!!! (forgive my spelling) I can draw!!!

4. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

i just started doodling then i started drawing some *shudders* DBZ pictures but i sucked at that but recently ive become quite good...

5. Desmin Chevek

Desmin Chevek New Member

For me?

Hrm. I did completely -different- art when I was younger. In fact for a good 4 years of my drawing 'career' I did realism. Mostly animals-Horses, specifically.

Then near and about my.. Freshman year in highschool I was channel surfing and came upon "Sailor Moon" I mocked it for a while, then realized it actually interested me. o_O After that I was self taught, no books, no sites.. just pictures. The human copy machine! You gave me a screen capture and I could duplicate it all the way down tot he background! --Grins.-- After that I just.. started doing my own stuff and to this day I have a hard time drawing fanart because of it. =D I've developed my own style.

I suppose sites could help.. but I don't know. I never found stuff like that of any use. --Shrugs--

6. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

hmmm. i did some art schooling when i was about 5 or so!. then i did absolutly none through high school, just played music all day. then after high school (last year) i moved on to uni where i do industrial design. (designing everyday objects from sinkplugs to cars. the course may be called something different in other countries.)
    In this course i draw everyday. i've done heavy perspective courses and they touch breify on human anatomy and figure drawing. so drawing manga is now considered 'study':D

i'm sure most people know about it, but theres a good 50 or so page free online tut on how to draw manga and cgi at the how to draw manga website. they're pretty good...

7. ::ZodiacStone::

Whats the URL?!?!?! ::Takes out pen and paper::

8. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

NO DON'T!!!
    quickly sign up for a life drawing class!

9. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

tutorial here

lol... yeah life drawing classes can be really good, but this is good too, and free. ( i've done both). personally i found the life drawing class to be a waste of money. There are alot of books on anatomy for figure drawing that u could get from a library that r just as helpful. these tuts r a good place to start. then move to the anatomy books, and just plain 'ol practice! the important thing to remember with figure drawing is the forms beneath the skin. get some pics of human skeletons and start by mapping out the ribcage, hips, joints etc. Then move on to skin, clothing and such details.. anyways, i'm ramblin' now. most of this is covered in the tut. try it and see. after all, it's free!:D

10. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

yeah I was only messing really(it was in reference to a previous thread about the topic)

but life drawing classes can be invaluble. If the teachers good. One thing I've found is that the teacher and the atmosphere of the class is very important. Some times it can be just terrible and you do awful drawings and learn nothing. But I wouldn't let that discourage you from life drawing.

But you're right anatomy books, life drawing books and just giving it ago by yourself are probably the best place to start.

But I'm sounding like a broken record here.
    In ther end there's no proper way to learn how to draw, just your own way.

11. k0gepan

k0gepan New Member

I've apparently been drawing since I was two. It started on the walls, and continued from there. Um. I'm mostly self taught, I took a sketching course for about 3 weeks at one point, I really enjoyed it. But, it wasn't offered again. It was doing mostly real life drawings. Like scenery, flowers, people. I drew Jean Cretien, I believe. heh. Turned out perdy good too. Anyway, besides that I've just been drawing anime non stop for years. Basically just fan art, or learning from books, sites, etc. Much fun. I'm not even close to professional status, but I'm doing okay. Cheers.

12. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Meh, i guess i was born with it tbh, my father liked to draw during his free time when he was younger. He mostly draw human shapes, like babies, women, men etc etc. Mom on the other hand, is really good too :)
    I also took some courses, it was quite fun though, and later on i just practiced and practiced and so on.
    I, myself, thinks that i suck at drawing anime, even though the majority of my class and friends thinks that I rock :bleed:

But Yeah, thats how it goes :)

- Ps. Working on a new Belldandy Picture ;) Gonna post it when I am done with it :)

13. minjigga

minjigga New Member

hmm well i guess i was born with a little skill, but not a significant amount. haha. then me and a friend started, or tried to, draw anime a while ago. that sorta started it. and from then i just drew by myself, looking at pictures trying to copy them and getting tips all the while. mostly figured stuff out by myself. took a drawing course in skool, kinda helped.

14. ::ZodiacStone::

Thanks for the Link Poom Poom! :)

All of you guys who were born with it..... I HATE YOU! LOL j/k

15. AsIaNgUrL

AsIaNgUrL ~*☆Dream AsIaNgUrL☆*~

i learned by just watching anime, and since i liked it so much i just started drawing, and so on.. and tried hard as i could to make a great job ^-^':)

16. Spike

Spike New Member

well when i was a kid i would draw alot so i guess over the years my skills has progressed alot and im glad that im still drawing cause all of the time that is the way im able to express myself......

17. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

As a kid my brother would draw a lot (comic/cartoons etc.), so sometimes we'd draw together, or I'd just doodle whack stuff in old notebooks. I never wanted to trace or copy stuff; I simply just made things up. In elem. school I was known as being pretty good at drawing, but from grades 5-10 I was afraid people thought I was REALLY good when I wasn't....esp. when I realized I couldn't draw faces/bodies.

During high school I got a secret hobby of practicing anime type faces. I hated drawing anime hair so I just did it realistically. I liked fancy eyes, and liked how simple mouths/noses are easy so I kept those. Senior year, I got a fr!ck!n huge chunk of inspiration from a new friend who drew her own manga which filled an inch-thick binder! Now I also carry a binder (1/2 inch thick) with paper in sheet protectors, as well as three sketchbooks of different sizes. If you look at the drawings in my binder you can figure out when I started getting inspired from Life Drawing class...which taught me to finally learn how to draw bodies! OH yeah!

18. Urei_Sama

Urei_Sama New Member

My artistic ability sprouted from doodles in class making fun of teachers and peers

19. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

ive been drawing since i was born, and i love to draw! i dont draw anime, i tend to do surrealism.. caricatures!

20. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I learned to draw watching DBZ

It's lightning can be overwhelming most of the time...

Then i got frustrated, cause, I knew how to draw perfect DBZ figures, but, couldn't simple draw women... not even their delicate face

Then I bought Bishoujo Pretty girls (how to draw manga book)

My firsts female tries were abosulutely HIDEOUS... totally screwed up.

6 months of frustration leads to where I i'm now :) i'm totally proud of my drawings

except if I need to draw below the legs (lower leg and feet)

But i'm happy...
    are you happy with youreself?