Art How did you Learn?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ::ZodiacStone::, Apr 19, 2003.

?

How'd you learn how to Draw?

1. I was born with it!

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. From a Drawing Guide

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. An Internet Website

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Other. (If so please post how!)

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ::ZodiacStone::

::ZodiacStone:: New Member

I am not happy with myself! *Grrr...* I wish Icould draw but I can't!! Escpecailly when it comes to Hair and Eyes. But- I am awesome at hands! All my friends want my ability to draw hands when I want theirs on how to DRAW!!!!

2. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

i cant draw hands at all! i can draw everything else perfectly well, so i haveto ide their hands behing their body!! eek!

3. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

VoilĂ ! Presto! ..not..

so I'v ebeen drawing and sketching since the wee years. elementary was all crafts and stuff I can't even recall. it was in secondary school when I got to use watercolours, oils, charcoal, clay, when my interest grew. Drawing isn't my true love. Drawing for me is just the last step before painting. In University I used all sorts of media. Conté is wonderful to work with and gesture/model/still life drawing really improved my drawings skills. So, I was born with talent but talent needs a lot of practice and oppotunity to grow and develop. or it just turns to mush.

anyways where did this thread come from? I'm blind :dizzy2:

here's my gallery link: http://www.mangatoanime.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=seraphim

presently on page 10 ^__^

4. PorPor Coro

PorPor Coro New Member

[​IMG]
    this is kinda my own type of realistic people whereas this is more of an anime/spawn style:
    [​IMG]

i learnt by drawing since i was 5...and im 16 now

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I started drawing when I was a child. I kept on drawing and learned how to draw better. I'm an average drawer now.

I attached a sample to show my skills.

Attached Files:

6. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Umm, I am not quite sure how to answer this, but I recal, when I was a kid, I saw a picture of my brother at the age of 1-2 years old, so I took it and started drawing, damn it looked good!! Pitty I can't remember how old I was, but I could be somewhere in 10-13 years old :)

As for now, when I first started watching anime, my favorie was Street Fighter, and I loved Ryu, so I kind of felt like drawing him. So, I paused the tape, and started drawing, my first time was pretty hard, damn it was annoying, the pause keeps breaking after 15 minutes and I had to rewind and pause again at the same pose :p

But mostly I am the kind of person who can draw from watching something and try to draw the same in the same time (just like anime, pausing and drawing), and I stink at making stuff (both drawings & lies :p). Not to mention the imposibility of drawing nature pictures :D

Anyway, here is some of my art ^^

7. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I was born with it! You don't have to believe me, but I had an ancestry, ppl all known to be good at using their hands. My great uncle is a professional traditional artist. His works are countless. My Father can woodcraft images and designs on wood. My mother sews. My sisters, Funa, and Yuna can draw, color, oil paint very decoratively. As for me, I can't really judge my work, but I can see where lines go and draw detail.

My primary, and elementary art teachers helped me refine this ability. The sad thing is that this ability is going to die in me since I've taken a non-art course in uni. ^_^ It's still one on my favorite and best hobbies! I'd rather be an amatuer than become a commision artist. That's just my rambling, why are you still reading this? :sweat:

8. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

I had some natural talent. But I never used it. Now I doodle random crap and try to learn to draw well. I learned the way I learn everything: teach yourself and learn when you screw up.

9. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

mmm...lets see:

about two years ago i was boring to death, nothing to do so i turn on my tv, there was nothing good in the tv guide, so i decided to watch "saber marionette..." in Locomotion, and that was it. I started to watch anime since that moment, and a few months later i started to draw it. so i have about 1 year and 6 months drawing, i've learned with the help of good friends at www.dibujando.com, we have a great community there, so if you speak spanish check it out^^

One of things that made me wanna improve was all the bad comments i used to get about my pictures, hehe, those guys at dibujando were cruel and craved for newbies blood!!!! hehe, not really but whenever i uploaded a pic they would tell me "you suck", "go sell milkshakes" and stuff like that:D so then i was like i'll show these bastards and tried hard to improve, and thats it.

Practice is everything, theres no such thing as "born skills", practice and determination, thas all^^

10. Superfly

Superfly Active Member

When I was a little kid, I watched those old episodes of Batman (yes the Pow! Bingo! Phaw! ones...) and I drew Batman and Robin.. I still have those pictures.
    Then, there are the TMNT (or TMHT as the cartoon series) which I adored...
    Buh, practically, I'm born with it...
    :D

11. Christabel

Christabel New Member

Like most people here I started drawing when I was young. I knew I did well back then but I never pursue it, maybe due to lack of interest or inconfidence. However, I started again recently but I'm still a long way off from good.

12. endless_pain

endless_pain New Member

when i was a kid..i really like to draw..me and my friends draw anime whenever were together..its so sad that i cant draw anime then..well i can ,but not professional..cause my friends draw like..wow thats good..and i draw like..you need help draw
    but i didnt care..i kept on doing my stuff and vwala! professional!

13. Okami

Okami New Member

i started of looking at someone draw, who defininetly wasnt as good as she is now at the time, and i basically copied part of her style and integrated part of mine. Of course there wasnt much to integrate since this was the first time i had ever decided to draw anime(i had at age 5 done 1 or 2 drawing camps, not much art). Now i have been drawing anime for 2 years and has branch out into a bunch of veriteties of art that i love also.

oh yeah she was sort of a mentor to me in the anime art world, even though she is only a year older than me. this is her site http://geocities.com/hijoyokai/index.html

P.S. i dont think i have surpassed her yet

14. Icarus

Icarus New Member

I've always considered art lessons at school just a 'bit of fun', but recently I've been taking it seriously. Manga and anime art really interests me, so I'm on the learning curve at the moment. I wouldn't call myself bad, but I'm not too good either. Next year I'll be beginning a 2 year GCSE art course.... I cant wait, as I'll do so much more than 50mins a week!

Icarus

P.S. I'm hopeless with anime hair/ clothing and creases so any help is gratefully recieved... :S

15. Dark_Dreams

Dark_Dreams New Member

I just started looking at how different people drew their characters and tried out a bunch of different styles.

16. Hacker

Hacker ~Richie Rich~

i started painting when i was little.....then i got into anime and practiced what i saw...and well here i am now still practicing. my best has not yet to come^_^

when i decided i wanted to draw in anime, i practied off the show Inuyasha.....mine looked nothing like Takahashi's :dizzy: lol. Now i practice off many different animes.

17. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

quite a trip thru memory lane :p

btw I know mastered the legs finally and hands

18. ~CP~

~CP~ New Member

Well, I started drawing way way waaaaaay back. I drew everyday. Started to learn anime and manga style by watching lots of anime and reading manga.

Now I'll draw anything I see, and always try to draw insanely hard poses. I use stock photo sites for that, although they rarely have any good ones. I'd like to take a college course to learn some realism later on. I've dabbled in it, but not that much, (god I hate that word...dabble :sweat: )

19. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

My father is a really great at drawing. I am okay I guess. I have been out of it for years but this time I feel like jumping into it again. I took 3 years in high school of art but I don't know if that helped really. I think maybe naturally but for manga I want to draw I will use a book or internet.

20. Orion

Orion Gears

Well, I was a big drawer when I was little (scribbles). But when I got older I drew better and then got into Manga/Anime. After that I saw a drawing guide and used that for a while but then I sorta came up with my own style.