Creative Writing How much empathy do you feel for your characters?

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by luvweaver, May 31, 2002.

1. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Hi guys! It's me again! :anime:

I wondered if all of you writers feel empathy for your characters when you write about them.

Do you feel their fear when they're fearing something?
    Do you feel the stinging in their heart when they're sad?
    Do you feel their joy when they're happy?

I've found that when I write about someone... sometimes i get to feel his/her feelings. So I write that down and the fic becomes much more realistic.

But I wonder... does that depend on the experiences you've had on your life? (Because ... how can you describe something you haven't felt before)?

Does the success of a writer depend on how many emotions he has lived before? I tend to think so. What do you think guys?

So - how much empathy do you feel for them?

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Hmm...

...I don't really know if in the end I can truly classify it as "empathy". As most authors work (whether they intend to or not), it is my own feelings that are truly underlying in each of my characters...

It's kind of strange when I get writing, and then suddenly realize a character I previously assumed I had nothing in common with turns out to be one of my closest matches...

So in the end, I *do* feel what they feel, but I really think it's because the feeling is really my own...

Strange, heh? I can't explain it any other way...

3. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I always get really into my characters. I wrote a short story in grade 11, and I was thinking of the name "Artorius Veritas" (the main character) for weeks. It's easier to write if you see your characters goals, methinks.

4. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Always complete empathy. A lot of my characters(not just the main ones), are actualy based on part myself. I usualy try to empathise with everyone anyway, and I usualy succeed.

5. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Sometimes when I'm writing and, say, something really crappy happens to one of my characters, I just stop... read over it a couple times... and just go "Damn.. that sucks". But I think that's as close as I get, not sure if that really qualifies. I base a lot of my main characters on a Fight Club sort of logic (Note: If you haven't seen the movie or read the book, and don't wish to have it ruined, I suggest you NOT read ahead) A lot of my characters possess traits that I could only dream to have; a slick, smooth attitude with a hint of arrogance and the ability to back it up, for example. Though while they have nice physical traits, their mentality goes down, like my character Jian. All of the above applies to him though he's got an absolute blood-lust, urge to kill, and randomly goes off on self-pity and depressive suicidal tendencies, so they aren't perfect.

6. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i'm not sure, probably alot more than i think i do. which is already alot. all my charcters are from a part of my personality. mainly the part of me that wants to be strong or the part that wants to be weak and taken care of. tho i do try to put some flaw of mine there regardless...lol for my breif...very..breif web comic, they each had a very distinct part of my. the main was my stupidity and naivness...the aisan guy is my obsession with japanese looks and hide...along with my abiltity to act a fool in front of people...one chick is my serious side...i get really serious when i am...one is just my sillyness...she's also a link nut..*^-^* he's just a cute little elf boy i tell you...the guy with the bat is my angst, which i can assure you, i have no small amount of.*^-^*;;; put all those together and reasearch on geminii's and you
    've got me figured out.^-^

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

:eek: web comic? WEB COMIC? Web Comic Where? Where? where? :D

8. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

I feel empathy for the ones I write for, and those I don't write for (as in those in copyrighted works or others' works…)…

But sometimes I get disconnected, kinda like when an actor/actress loses focus and forgets that he/she is the character… and that's when it gets hard…

^^;;

9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

umm...in my sig...the word home swill take you there...k matt? don't freak out...

it's really not that good...<shrink away>

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Heh. Took me long enough to find them...I must've clicked every other link on your site before that top button finally loaded...(damn dialup!)

Anyhow, I thought your strip wasn't bad at all...A little jumbled, and disconnected, but good. :)

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

heheh yeah i know...is why it kinda sucks...tho, the customer service bat is my fav...lol that's the mall worker joke here...and the abercrombie and finch thing is from a freind...he actually kicked ppl with a&f stuff out of his store...and it didn't hurt them at all...cause well, a & f is evil...tho, the counter top is pretty much how it was set up at the time...should pop the whole image up sometime...lol cause that got cut off...you don't see the whole x-box sign...ok, so my characters are my opinions...there's my tie in to the thread

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

So....what happened to the whole idea then? It says something like you scrapepd it for an idea on you main page...but I likely missed it in your wonderful ranting. :)

13. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

it died...think of a permanant dead piro day...lol i think it was brought upon by planning out things between charaters adn not being able to draw it right...and then the scanner broke...<sigh> heh my ranting..hehehe i need to update that...lol

14. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I feel alot of empathy for my characters, but I try to make them unlike me, or else it's just a story about me, but still, they often resemble me.

I try to get in the character's shoes and not force the character into my shoes. I always think of what my characters would do in my every day situations, so it's as if they feel empathy for me, if you can dig that. (Heheh, sorry, been reading The Body again)

15. mirai_trunks

mirai_trunks Guest

I don't know how much empathy you, personally, should feel, but in order to make the story interesting your reader should be able to empathize with the character. There is nothing worse than having a main character that sucks. I always make people I know read my stories before they go anywhere just to be sure I haven't done anything that betrays the initial character that makes people interested in him/her.

16. Stardust Phox

Yeah. Beta readers always help. *shakes head* Mary/Marty Sueism is not the way to go…

17. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i just try to keep everything consistant...if my characters start one way, btu the event changes later because my head exploded, well, they lode believablity and i start to loose touch with them...and they drift away....but trying to get ahold of some of them again tho...lol(i sound crazy)

18. Stardust Phox

Not really, BB. I understand perfectly, because I've been through that! ^^;;; It bites, doesn't it? And then in my case, I'm too darn lazy or stubborn to change things around… I may end up with a whole different universe than the one I started with!

19. mirai_trunks

mirai_trunks Guest

What you said gives me the impression you only write one thing at a time. It's easy to stay consistent when you're writing one story. At any given time, I could be writing one to six stories. All having different deadlines. That's when you have to get into what you're doing to keep everyone straight. I can't afford to get any of those stories mixed up.

20. rei

rei New Member

i usually feel for the protaganist/lead because somehow they always reflect some life exprience i understand, i mean you write what you know? right? so in a way its like reliving through a different characters eyes, the same expriences and emotion, in different situations. yup. i hope that made sense!

*heart* me