Computers How To Make A Site...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kenster, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Kenster

Kenster Guest

How To Make A Site..
    i'd like to know a site were you can make your own site wihout paying and you can make it really good, please reply as i want to make a site.

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Y'mean a freehost? Geocities is one. Angelfire is another. I'd think of more, but I can't exactly think on a school day.

If you don't want ads, then you're pretty damn stuck paying. And you're very limited on what you can put on in the site. Freaking Geocities, I should slap it with a trout while wearing sumo gear on top of an armani suit. Armani suit and sumo gear optional.

3. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I would say that the best way to start out your own site is to go to www.geocities.com and check out pagebuilder. And then once you get a handle of how everything works move up to HTML and dreamweaver and find a better server...

4. sailorvenus

sailorvenus 24 days to go...^^

Yeah, Izumi-sensei and TG is right. Geocities has a free webpage builder. Angelfire has one too...I really prefer Angelfire and Tripod than Geocities 'coz it only has 15 mb, while the other two has 20 mb and uploading your files is a breeze. :D

5. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Right now I have two emails in Yahoo and that means that I have the double size for my site, cuz I work in the 1st some and in the 2nd some..I think that I will make a 3rd and 4th ones too!! :sweat2:

I advice you (just like what That Guy said) using Yahoo's Geocities until you know how to work with te htmls codes..!
    You see, Geocities is so easy!! And you will finish in no time with it.. :p

And then when you have enough money you can pay for your own site, for an example www.kenster.com!! :p

6. That guy!

I really need to buy my own domain name soon too... maybe www.xenoexistence.com or something ;) . The whole thing with any pagebuilder really is that you get to learn all of the basic needs for page design, like placement, colour, images, fonts, contrast, messages, and everything really. One thing that is really important is to have a text colour not clash with the background. I find it good to have a dark back and a light font, or vice versa... It really hurts people's eyes when they see writing right over a picture >< unless there's a black or white box or something between the two.

Websites are so fun to make ^^v

7. Izer

Izer New Member

You should also check your ISP account details. It's not uncommon for ISP's to provide a few megabytes of space (without ads!) and site-building tools. GL with the site and remember to make an announcment when its done :)

8. Dark Phire

Dark Phire New Member

ah, web design, I went from this http://www.geocities.com/kakarot73/

to this
    http://nothingness.topcities.com

all it takes is time and practice, start with geocities like everyone else suggested, it is easy to use and yeah, it's cool...but if u are on a 56k there is some load time...well anywho, good luck and post your site when u get it done ^_^

9. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I've been using geocities myself, though I've never touched pagebuilder. Notepad roxors.. (and some frontpage for blah work)

I do know of one site that is free without ads, but I can't get to it without using a proxy.. (DNS server my ISP uses must not quite be there yet)

10. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Yeah, the notepad/save as/open (internet explorer) rocks. Best combination there is, plus lots of trial and erroring.

I've been wanting to make a flash page...but flash is too confusing to me...I should go ahead and just take a damn class...hehe.

11. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Oh man, I was trying to do simple animation, and I couldn't even get THAT right. Freaking for some reason, my anime character turned upside down.

Like, I saw this site that had a continuously repeating anime scene...it's just a clock and a girl with flowy hair, but it looked awesome...and I wanna do something like that.

Besides, taking a Flash class *MIGHT* be able to fill a requisite in GE classes for Comp courses. We'll see...*giggle*

12. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

I use a programmer's editor. The name is GWD text editor. IT ROCKS!

I've programmed macros in it so i press ctrl-b, and voila! BOLD. Ctrl-i, italics. I select, press alt-a, and voila! hyperlink.

Press alt-enter, i get a Paragraph. Ctrl-Enter, a br tag.

I've done my webpages with it, and it's man SO EASY to use, because of the syntax highlighting. And you can open many files at once, without all the frontpage etc etc bulk. It even comes with a spellchecker!

for only $15 (or was it $25? Nevermind).

So, yes, manual editing is really cool. And it's easy to learn unless you're into the javascript and DHTML stuff.

13. RichyX

RichyX New Member

Having a friend in the hosting business is pretty handy, unlimited bandwidth and webspace for free :D

Best thing is to get a copy of some basic web design software like Netscape Composer. It's free so it's a good place to start.

14. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

Netscape Composer is evil!!!!

Ahem, sorry 'bout that. I just don't have very much love for any WYSIWYG editor that I've found to date. I'm sure there are some decent ones out there, but my (rather limited) experience with them is that they put in more tags than you really need to view the page properly.

Every time I try a new program that is supposed to be great I always seem to find myself going back to good old Notepad. Of course, that's just me.

My suggestion for someone who's just starting out would be to either find an online tutorial or just look at the source code for a bunch of pages. If you go with the tutorial approach, Lissa Explains it All--HTML Help for Kids is one I've found helpful. There are examples and activities that help teach you the basics.

The source code approach is the one I tend to use, but it can be tricky if the code you're looking at isn't correct in some aspects. Still, I find the trial and error approach to be the best.

~Shadrach Anki

15. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

the w3c(www consortium) is a good place for tutorials too...tho, finding them there is a bit difficult to say the least...but, the ppl there know what they're talking about*^-^*

16. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Take my advice .. dont use Geocities! I cant work on my site, cuz I cant open the pagebuilder!! :mad: damn it!

17. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

with geocites tho, you can just build the thml in a text file and then convert that to an html, then upload it...no need to go into pagebuilder...pretty sure you don't have to go into it anyways...but yeah, geocities is still evil...

18. That guy!

Hmmmmm, you could have trouble opening page builder because of a firewall. Thank you for that site though Shadowboard, I need to figure out html ><