Computers I hate Floppy Disks! Though I need the help of a computer genius or not.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Black Nyoko, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Black Nyoko

Black Nyoko New Member

As I said before I hate floppy disks. I know that now we should be using CD's and other types of removable drives, but this is before I got my Lexar media jumpdrive. Anyways I saved all of a year's school work on this floppy disk. So one day I go to the computer lab at school and guess what happens, the computer erases all of my files.

I was wondering, though, if anyone knows if there is a way to get my files back. The floppy disk won't allow me to read my files, but I just want to know if there is a way to recover my files. Maybe there is a website for this kind of stuff or even a programme on the computer. I don't know. I just need help. Please write if you have any suggestions or comments.

1 person likes this.
  2. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

If it won't allow you to to read your files, it doesn't mean that they were deleted. Its more as the disk itself is currupted. I don't think you can retrieve them :/

Use Flash memory (USB), its way cooler than floppies!

3. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Computer code is interesting like this. The data that was on your disc is more than likely still there, unless you formatted your floppy. All that windows did was delete the FAT table that your computer uses to find the file.

What does that mean?

The information on your diskette is written in certain sectors on your floppy. These sectors are 'numbered' in a manner that your computer recognizes. The locations of these sectors, or WHERE your computer can find the files on the disk, are written on something called a File Allocation Table, or a FAT table. XP uses NTFS, while programs utilizing older versions of windows use FAT32. It's almost like two different languages. NTFS is one language your compy uses to write data on the FAT, while FAT32 is like another language. Most computers can read either or FAT, but certain programs on the market only work for restoring data from Either FAT32 or NTFS. Most I believe work for both.

SO, when you go to delete a file all windows does is erase the file's entry from the FAT, so that window's no longer knows where to find the file. As far as window's thinks, if it's not on the FAT it doesn't exist. The data itself is still on the disk, windows is simply clueless to it being there, and unless you format the disk or write over it with another file the data will remain right where it is.

There are a bunch of programs out there to restore deleted files. I personally use Tuneup Utilities 2006, but that program does alot more than restore deleted files, and is a little overkill for your problem. Perform a google search and I'm sure you'll return several good, dependable file restore programs.

If the files weren't deleted you can try running ScanDisk on the floppy and let windows try to correct what ever is hosing the problem up. You can also try several third party software that allows you to try and capture or even fix these corrupted files as well. Again, a google search should yield promising results.

~W

1 person likes this.
  4. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I knew that you can retrieve deleted files from the hard drive of your PC, but not from something like a floppy disk. I always thought that the deletion of files from the floppy disk is permanent and can't be undone.. Interesting..

5. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Floppy disks have thier own FAT table, and it works the same way as your HDD, provided you dont write over the delteted data with other files or you format your HDD.

~W

6. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

...Floppy....disks?

This is funny since the computer science section used them for a "horseshoe" throwing competition :D

Anyhow, as Wertitis said, you can try using ScanDisk to fix the problem, or just try to download any type of retrive file programs. I have some for HDs, but no idea if they would work on floppies.

Get a USD Memory instead. Fast, secure, and good.

- Teddz

7. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Come on you guys, I couldn't even understand most of that. Tech-talk confuses people. :p

Ahh, I remember the old 5 1/2 inch floppy disks. Those were fun, actually being floppy and all. :p

Anyway, I found you a program that should work, it's free and ready to download. Give it a shot, hopefully it'll do the job for you.

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

Figured I'd save you some trouble in looking for it. :)

8. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

actually a made a boot cd for my self with alot of programs that run only in MS-DOS and recover data and salvage data from damaged disks, it also enables ntfs on MS-DOS and USB devices such as pen drives. if your interested i'll help, but you may try to download something. try searching on google for "hiren's bootcd" and see what you can find. i don't remember the actuall site.

9. Shinigami-Sama

Shinigami-Sama New Member

technicaly floggies use FAT-12(12bits)
    and 99% of the time if windows(or linux) can't read it, then it got demagnetized, this is why my all my profs tell me to follow three steps and everything will be alright

Univercity level advise
    step 1.) Back up
    step 2.) Back up
    step 3.) back up
    step 4.) if back ups were made, don't panic; else, KYAG(kiss your A** goodbye)

you can always try and google
    'floopy data recovery'