Computers I have a problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ZakoSoldier, Apr 20, 2004.

1. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

Well this would be the best place for this question. I have downloaded 2 bit torrents in .mp4 format but I can't play them on my computer. Since a lot of you download what free program do you use to play or is there are patch for Media Palyer 9 i could use.

2. c0ke

c0ke New Member

3. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

mp4 files could be encoded with DivX, XviD, 3ivX, MPEG, or Quicktime.

You can use the DivX Playa to play them only if they were encoded with the DivX codec.

You can use you standard Media player, provided you have a codec that supports mp4.

If you have a DVD player that supports mp4, you can play it back on that (or if you have any DVD playback software it should play the file back as well).

And last, but not least, Apple's Quicktime also supports mp4 files.

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Are you actually trying to play the torrents?

6. ZakoSoldier

I downlodas QuickTime (ok I trust apple) but I can't seem to play .avi on either it or Media Play 9

7. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

I believe BS Player can play mp4s. Not 100% sure about that.

- Teddz

8. c0ke

c0ke New Member

If all else fails go with Windows Media Classic

Also as Nephilim_X asked you aren't trying to view unfinished torrent files are you?

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Those programs both support that file format. You're obviously missing a codec of the type the file is encoded in, or it might be corrupt. As everyone also suggests, make sure the torrent is completely downloaded first - the files look done based on allocated file size, but aren't until you're 100% complete done the entire torrent.

And I thought we were dealing with an mp4 file, and not an avi?

Pass the file through GSpot and see what it's encoded with.

10. ZakoSoldier

I guess I should say what episode I donwloaded and maybe someone esle had this problem and it was either version Bakuretsu Tenshi episode 2 that is on AnimeSuki.com it they are both .avi files. When I tried to play it on DivX player (I needed something)episode one from AonE-Onigiri works but when I try either one of on the DivX player this message pops up File failed to open Please check that the file is a valid Avi or Mpeg-4 file.

11. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Could you explain that more coherently.

From what what I could decipher from that post, try the following.

Run the files through Bit Torrent again, maybe on of the packets/hash were downloaded properly.

And also download the latest XviD codecs:

http://koepi.roeder.goe.net/xvid.shtml

12. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I got them both from Lunar and had no problems viewing them..sometimes subbers have an error file and need to re-issue a second version. its happened to me before. maybe go to the subbers forum if they have one and see if anyone else there has this problem. the subbers would know what's up.

so from the look of the other posts, you have many options. good luck

13. ZakoSoldier

I downloaded the Lunar's version same problem exact same error.

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

You are opening the torrent with bittorrent, right? You aren't trying to play the torrent, right? PLEASE answer this time.

Edit: And the best player out there is VideoLAN. Seems to handle pretty much every video file out there except for MOVs. Also really stable, low on system resources, and it tends to play smoother in my experience. Yeah it's a tad bareboned in parts but it's all you'll ever need 99% of the time.

15. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

you got XVid as well? /at the start of the avi it says its a DivX video..

16. c0ke

c0ke New Member

The fact that it's occuring on two different file of two different group indicates that the problem is not with the files but something on you local drive.

Answer these questions:

1. Are the files complete on Bit Torrent?

Remember you CANNOT play incomplete torrent files be it .avi, .mkv, .ogm etc.

2. Did you download and install any of the codecs recommanded?

I know it's a stupid question but it's the simple things that could be over looked. Uninstall every codec installed on your system and reinstall the ones recommanded. Sometimes I experienced a conflict between two different codec that decodes identical encoding.

Also I recommanded Windows Media Classic earlier, try that and the VideoLan Nephilim_X recommanded.

Also next time I recommand you downloading fan subs using IRC instead of Bit Torrent.

[EDIT] And if you're going to download the DivX codec I think you should get the standard codec:

http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511.exe

17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Oh please, there's nothing wrong with bittorrent. My friend Xort on SB has downloaded well over 100 gigs worth of fansubs and hasn't had a single flub EVER.

18. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Bit Torrent, but there some people who thinks because there are 100 MB downloaded he/she can watch at least 100 MB worth of movie then complains not once but over and over again that there's something wrong with his/her file (ie my older brother).

I downloaded nearly 50 GB of fan subs on Bit Torrent, not mention about 5 GB more of other stuff (Mainly full versions of Doujin games).

I use IRC now because my network and BT don't mix well