Recreation I know you ****ers aren't posting.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by User18, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I was doing great until this week hit. Stupid school doubled hw pretty much. Had a quiz and then next week 2. Hoping to catch up this weekend. Was sitting pretty at 22,000 words but not good any more. Only 7,000 behind. :(

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

Awe... You can definitely close that gap! Let Nick take your quizzes and what not and you can write. Problem solved.

Woot Number 1000 right here.

3. Firefox

Firefox Member

Wow I have not posted in forever :V

I've been in my new house since the 31st, and although I've been quite busy, I'm nearly done unpacking and setting stuff up now.

I found out I needed a lot of things I didn't realize I didn't have and I've got most of it now.

And I am driving my winter car for this year. A 1988 Buick Lesabre with 219,000 km that I picked up for $1000. For being so cheap I am quite impressed with it.I have just two minor problems that can be fixed with about $20 and 30 minutes of effort, if I can ever find either to spare :p

The black Camaro has been safely parked in my underground parking, though not before some butthead drove into it and busted the tail light and bumper cover. Thank god for insurance -.-

And the red Camaro is parked back at the mobile home until spring, when hopefully someone will come along and give me money for it.

Things are looking pretty good, although I could use a couple hundred thou if someone is feeling generous :p

4. Basher

If it were so easy... The quizzes are at school. Plan on working on HW tomorrow study some and write write tomorrow.

Firefox - we could all use a lil more money. Mines all tied up in school and the kid. BTW congrats on the new car.

5. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

I sold my soul to an IT consultant company. I will start wearing suits, programming myself in Java untill I freak out just like in Office Space.

I will start writing thos TPS reports as soon as possible.

But the pay is nice :D

6. Yossarian

Well then I hope you're able to catch up with your writing.

Nice pay in exchange for a soul? Sounds about right.:rolleyes:

7. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Tis all about the money, moneh, monaazehs.

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

gotta say, im not a fan of the new layout...

9. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Would be good to get your feedback and what you don't like (or do like!)... Thanks HG!

10. Hitokiri_Gensai

Mainly i dont like the lack of individual forums for each series, with everything now ALL anime is more or less mixed in and it makes it cooutmplicated to find specific threads and posts. Other than that, i dont mind the new layout.

11. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Aha - yes we had a big discussion at moderator level and decided to merge the many smaller forums into a bigger one.

But the good news is that we have Thread Prefixes to identify all the old topics - so you can filter by thread prefixes at the bottom of each forum display page. Also you can post new topics using those same Thread Prefixes...

12. Hitokiri_Gensai

arent a mod? why wasnt i asked?! xD

i guess, i just liked having individual forums for things, it made keeping track of things much easier, especially since there are something like 7000 actual seperate threads int he anime section now.

13. Firefox

Firefox Member

I hafta say I miss vB, but I'm sure I'll get used to this new software, even if it is rife with crap about social networking crap sites like Facebook and crap.

The forum reorg- meh, I always just hit New Posts and have at it anyway :p

14. Basher

It'll take sometime getting used to it all. Just easier to look at recent threads part. Is this suppose to be better than vbulletin?

Nope fat chance of that. 22,000 words only and my teachers feel like giving finals right away. At least I tried. Always next year. Plan on getting my write on over xmas break. Have two new separate series ready to go. Just need to finish my current novel.

Glad to see that you started a new job right? I know you said you quit the last one...

15. Yossarian

This new layout is way too bright. I had the vB set to Cloud and it was prefect. I'm hoping there is a way to change this or I don't know... This was one of the places I loved that I didn't have to look at all the social network stuff. Now it's everywhere. Is there anyway to individually get rid of it?

I'm sure I'll get used to the changes along with everyone else but a little warning would have been greatly appreciated... instead of having my homepage down for two days and then it giving me a blinding heart attack the next.

I do like the editing system though.

What is a trophy point?

16. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

Hmm trophy points apear to be points given to you for achieving various, possibly arbitrary goals (or rather, earning "trophies")... If I'm not mistaken, some boards, game systems, and games have similar type things.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I have things to break and people to annoy...

17. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

This was discussed reaching back in May of this year:
    http://www.mangaandanime.com/threads/trimming-down-for-real-this-time-i-promise.25583/
    (Mod Thread)

Feedback was called for a few times in the thread and we did have some Moderator discussion going on there. Apologies if you missed it.

As Cloud outlined, threads should be prefaced for their particular title and can be easily filtered or searched that way.

For instance, want everything Rurouni Kenshin?
    http://www.mangaandanime.com/forums/manga-and-anime.3/?prefix_id=22

Looking for Anime Fan Fiction?
    http://www.mangaandanime.com/forums/manga-and-anime.3/?prefix_id=140

The issue we had with the old layout primarily was it segregated the community and was overwhelming to new users while at the same time high maintenance. To stay current to a hobby so readily on the move we would have to literally create dozens of new subboards every new season and lock down the older ones.

Having a single main board with tags allows the flexibility to still be able to identify individual works without having to navigate a listing of titles spanning all manner of popularity and time period.

I admit it was tough to give my own pet boards the sendoff (SMJ and Slayers) but realized it was a necessity to truly keep things accessible and manageable.

Please do voice concerns like this openly and aggressively, though. We want to know what features are liked and which are hated so that we can adapt to better cater our community.

18. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Current list of trophies:
    http://www.mangaandanime.com/help/trophies

These are simply fun little handouts that mark different milestones. I believe we are just running with a default set at the moment for various post counts, but we can surely leverage in many other ways. For instance, we used to run some on-board activities for "M2A Awards" which displayed on user titles - we could now tie such events into this permanently awarding them in the form of trophies.

19. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

Yeah, I remember there being related type things on the bjp version of this. "possibly arbitrary goals " could be applied to that. Sometimes post milestones can be arbitrary, but generally people like nice specific numbers... like 100. Contests could also be a good source of "trophies", but you need a sufficient number of people to enter and you have to find some way so that people feel the judging is fair (which can be very tricky indeed).

20. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

Initially it's over whelming, but once you dive in and just start clicking things start making sense. Hell, I spent a few minutes trying to figure out quoting and then just tried the "reply" link.

Though I am a bit curious, I'm listed as staff yet I can't find the ninja mod forums and the link you put up there, Matt, won't let me in.If there has been staff changes you might want to let us know. =p

Otherwise, full opinion will come in a few days of poking and digging around. =3