Music Internet Radio

Discussion in 'Music' started by MamiyaOtaru, Oct 28, 2001.

1. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Well I just tuned in to Hitokiradio. Pretty cool. I got to thinking, could it be done? A Pillows station would be pretty cool. But, would that be taking my Pillows MP3s a little too far?

I have actually paid for one of the albums, with one more to come, plus the Busters on the Planet DVD, I'm not a complete leech [​IMG]

Plus, could a station with a song cycle of only 113 songs really be viable? I gues I could jack up the count some by adding the FLCL remixes..

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

A Pillows Radio station sounds cool! Although you may not be able to put all the songs you want to on it. Live365 only gives you 100 megs to work with(it used to be 365 mb). The songs' sizes are split in half though if you convert them to 64 kbps... you can do that when you upload the music.

edit: Oh yeah, Live365 has some rule that you can only have 3 songs from one album per broadcast. Although they probably don't know who The Pillows are, so you're safe.

[This message has been edited by That guy! (edited 10-28-2001).]

3. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

As far as the limited track selection goes, don't worry about it. 100 tracks is still between 300 and 500 minutes of music, and who's gonna sit there and listen for longer than that anyway? If you have repeat problems, one popular pop station around here once played the same song twice in under 15 minutes, and most of the listeners didn't seem to notice. So, if your listeners are like the morons in Strathroy and London, you shouldn't have a problem.

------------------
    KICKSTART MY HEART!

4. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

talking about hitokiri radio reminded me of something, THAT GUY, the station doesnt work propertly. Every time i open it, it opens one song each time and doesnt play it very well .... [​IMG] [​IMG] ... can you do something or any tips at all ?

**zanza**

5. That guy!

It could be because of your connection...
    Internet Radio usually runs best on high speed(DSL, Cable, etc.).

Once the station becomes more popular I'll probably make a lower bitrate version, so you'll be able to listen to it easier. The reason why I didn't go with the low bps is because the sound quality is reduced significantly.

...Sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hey Zanshi, I know quite a few intelligent people from London. But Strathroy...only you [​IMG]

6. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Thanks for the info ThatGuy! Three per album.. hehe that limits me to 23 songs, plus 34 singles, maybe 3 more from FLCL album, and three more when I get Smile [​IMG]

I know 23 is not a multiple of three, but the best of album has only two original tracks [​IMG]

Of course, if I can change which songs are on it once in a while, i could go through them all eventually. That would also keep things switched up a bit.

7. That guy!

Sounds great!
    Another cool thing you can do with your playlist is make the songs in it play in a random order.

Although a problem I come upon some times with this is that some songs play like 5 times an hour.

(I'm confusin' myself...@_@x)

------------------
    I think it's about time we blow this scene.
    Get everybody and the stuff together.
    Okay 3, 2, 1 let's jam!

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yeah, the playlists are a little too small for my liking sometimes... I've been popping into Hitokiradio a few times in the past week at various times, and I always seem to hit the playlist at the exact same spot... [​IMG] Not to mention a strange glitch yesterday where a very large track was playing - and then cut out to dead air space...

Another nitpicky thing of mine is that I have no way of knowing what song is playing... the bigger stations actually update the title on your player...

Try and look into what Scripting needs to be done to show the current playing track - it makes things so much more enjoyable...

Internet Radio is great - maybe I'll make sure my next Stereo has a feed for it!

BakaMattSu, needs more stations - getting too repetitive...

9. That guy!

I'm waiting for a reply from bigmog.com on how they scripted their page so it showed the song that is currently playing on the radio. Oh yeah, the song that probably had the "dead air" would be Initial D - Hyper Mega Mix. The last minute or so of my version has no music or anything... I'll look around for a better version and replace it.

edit: Damn, Bigmog says that they can't give out the script to anyone because it would slow down Live365's servers [​IMG]. Although I found the script online but for some reason I can't get it to work. Does anyone know how to do PHP scripting in Dreamweaver 2?

---------
    Well I've changed the playlist recently, should I go with random play?

[This message has been edited by That guy! (edited 10-29-2001).]

10. That guy!

I put the playlist into random play. So you won't be able to memorize what songs are coming next [​IMG]

Thanks Matt and everyone for listening to my station. I'll be sure to add some more tracks and add more songs later [​IMG] (errr, once this 8 page Computer essay is done *sighs*)