is Rurouni Kenshin true?

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by ShinigamiSenshi, Jun 10, 2004.

1. ShinigamiSenshi

ShinigamiSenshi New Member

im getting kind of confused cause this one guy im talking to in another forum is saying that the events the unfolded throughout the series of Rurouni Kenshin were actual real events (referring to the Kyoto and Jinchuu arc). i know that there were actual historical events and people in the series that are real but does that mean that everything that happened in the series is true?

1 person likes this.
  2. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Err... no. ^^; Rurouni Kenshin does have some historical influence, but it's still a fictional tale dealing largely with fictional characters. It's been about 3 years since I saw the series, so I couldn't point out many specific examples, though.

3. ShinigamiSenshi

ShinigamiSenshi New Member

yeah, cause this guy i'm talking to is saying that everything that happened in Samurai X is true. all people and events. its getting a little irritating.

4. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Moved to Rurouni Kenshin.

5. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

6. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

to be specific, much of Rurouni Kenshin is true history although not all the characters are.

*Real Characters*
    Saitou Hajime
    Okita Soushi
    Kawaji Toshiyoshi
    Katsura Kogorou
    Saigo Takimori (you dont see Saigo Takimori but you hear mention of him)
    Ookubo Toshimichi (along with Katsura and Saigo these three men made up the Ishin Trivitume. (sp)
    Harada Sanosuke (you see him but he has no speaking parts)
    Kondo Isami
    Hijikata Toshizou (for these two again, you see them but they have no speaking parts, actally you see the ten leaders of the ten squads of the Shinsengumi as well as the leaders Toshizou and Isami)
    (there are more characters that ill list later)

*Characters based on real people*
    Character Model
    Himura Kenshin Hitokiri Gensai (Kawakami Gensai) *
    Sagara (Higashidani) Sanosuke Harada Sanosuke
    Myojin Yahiko Watsuki based Yahiko a bit on himself
    Shinomori Aoshi Hijikata Toshizou
    Seta Soujirou Okita Soushi **
    Takeda Kanryuu Takeda Kanryuusai
    Sagara Souzou Koshima Shirou ***
    Yamagata Aritomo Yamagata Aritomo
    Udou Jineh *special case* ****

Hitokiri Gensai (my name sake) was one of the four great hitokiri of the Bakumatsu. he was short and had long black hair and was frequently thought to be a girl. but he was quite the opposite, a cold calculating man he used a lightning fast style of kenjutsu that he created. hes famous for cutting down Kuma Shouzan in broad daylight using his Furanui Kenjutsu. whether hes responsible for many of the other assissinations is questionable. when the change of power came his ideas of isolationism conflicted the new governments outlook and he was falsly accused and finally beheaded in 1871.

Okita Soushi originally went by the name Okita Soujirou

Koshima Shirou was the head of the Sekihoutai. He was not of the samurai class but of a rich influential family. he left them to head the Sekihoutai. He left behind him a wife and family. He, as in the manga, was falsly accused and beheaded at the age of 29. He had actually put the equality of the four classes as the last Ishin goal, even tho in the manga he was trying to create equality.

Udoh Jineh did not exist but he supposedly embodies all of the twisted members of the Shinsengumi all of which were assassinated by Saitou Hajime. he may not of exsted but his style of swordsmenship is supposed to have.

as for the events that took place in the Rurouni Kenshin OVA. i would have to say that they are all perhaps, romanticized versions of what really took place.

7. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

There was also such thing as the Choshu (sp) clan, which is the clan Kenshin fought with in Trust and Betrayal.

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

The Choshuu technically they werent a "clan". Choshuu was the name of a province, Katsura Kogorou headed the Choshuu faction of the Ishin Shishi.

9. Mira_Toriyama

Mira_Toriyama New Member

In RK and or samurai X, The characters are based on actual characters, and the event are based on actual events :D The names may not be the same but im pretty sure im right...and if this was already cleared up...then dont mine me...im just here >o<

10. Hitokiri_Gensai

read the my post near the top. that'll enlighten you a bit more ^_^x;;;

11. AsIaNgUrL

AsIaNgUrL ~*☆Dream AsIaNgUrL☆*~

yupyup yup
    i was gonna say that ^^
    :anime:
    Misao

12. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan New Member

Watsuki (the manga author) says *repeatedly* throughout the manga that he's pulling your leg.

So, no, it's not real Japanese history, though it *is* based (just really, really loosely) on it.

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

as i said numerous times before, although the events that unfold in Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan, are not real, many of the characters are. the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's deal with a real situation and point in history.

14. monkeydluffy

monkeydluffy New Member

kenshin

i think kenshin is not really cause i mean come on there is no super god like speed and super killer. but there was some history i guess.

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

Himura Kenshin did not exist but was patterned after a real person. Hitokiri Gensai. Born under the name Komori Genjiro, he would later change it to Kawakami Gensai. he was a short man with long black hair and was often mistaken for a girl. But his apparently pleasent outer appearance hide a cold calculating mind. hes famous for assassinating Kuma Shozan in broad daylight with his Furanui Ryuu. whether or not hes responsible for the other numerous assassinations is questionable. When the change in power came and Emporer Meiji was given rule of Japan, Gensai's ideals of isolationism conflicted with the new worlds ideals. he was captured, tried on false charges and beheaded.

16. Sanosuke

Sanosuke New Member

Did you mean to say it was a prefecture (which technically is the correct name) as in Choshuu Prefecture (著集-ku)?

Sanosuke!
    Return to Japan - October 2004 (Yep, again for a whole month!)
    Addicted to Rurouni Kenshin & Japan!!

17. Hitokiri_Gensai

prefecture and province mean the same thing. but yes, i suppose it would be called a prefecture but then again thats a modern word and perhaps "Han" would be a better word.

18. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

well, there were somethings very similar to his events, like miyamoto musashi. i was reading about his life a little while ago and kenshins very similar to him. that's all i could say...

(o^-^o) yaka.

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

actually, Musashi Miyamoto is very unlike Kenshin.

he was in his first duel at the age of thirteen when he beat a man to death with a stick. from there he began his journey as a swordsman, creating the style, NIttou Ryuu and Niten Ichi Ryuu. after his 60th duel he gave up using and began using a bokken to fight instead of his Shinken. he famous for killing his rival Sasaki Koujirou with a bokken that he made from an oar. he wrote a book on strategy called "Go Rin No Sho" which is still widely read today.

20. brammimond

brammimond New Member

...i was just wondering...how did hitokiri genzai die? :confused: i heard he was beheaded but i also heard he was gunned down too