Books Is there a book you hate?

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by BotticelliLover, Feb 19, 2004.

1. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

I know we all can list off books we love, but are there any you hate?

They could be ones you picked up in the library or were forced to read in school. I know lots of people who can't stand The Old Man and the Sea.

It would have to be 1984 for me. It is a very good book, but I still hate it. It scared the crap out of me. The ending is...well...just read it and you'll understand.

2. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

I personally hated Gulliver's Travels. It was poorly written for a satire, which is saying something. I found it uninteresting, which defeats the whole purpose of the book in the first place.

Then again, I loved "The Old Man and the Sea," so I might just be a nut. :p

3. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

I hated Flowers for Algernon. I thought it was really annoying.

4. Ravenwing

Ravenwing New Member

I got a book called 'The Wizard of Earthsea'. I read one page and hated it. Boring,

5. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

I know I may be hated for this but....I found Romeo and Juliet just plain horrible. It was so boring and stupid, and..just...plain..bad...

6. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

I hated "Their eyes where watching god" i could not understand a SINGLE WORD!

7. The_Stranger

The_Stranger New Member

I despised being forced to read "A Tale of Two Cities" and "Animal Farm"

8. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

What are you talking about animal farm rocks and is one of the greatest books EVER!

9. The_Stranger

The_Stranger New Member

I find talking pigs... disturbing...

10. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

I thought both Animal Farm and A Tale of Two Cities were excellent books, but that's just me. As for Shakespearean comedies, I haven't read Romeo and Juliet, but I hated The Merchant of Venice. Not exactly interesting material. I liked all the other Shakespearean comedies I've read, though, so it's an isolated incident so far.

11. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

Ummm.....Romeo and Juliet is one of the Shakespearian tragedies, not one of the comedies. Just as a note. And while I really like Shakespeare, I can understand why people could dislike Romeo and Juliet. It's very...sappy. And the characters are very young. And everybody dies. *wry grin*

As for books I hate....Beloved by Toni Morison would have to be at the top of the list. I had to read it for a class and I tried to get through it, but I couldn't stand the writing style, subject matter, or the way said subject matter was handled. Beyond that there are very few books I can honestly say I hate. There are definitely books I don't plan on reading again because I didn't find them interesting, but that isn't the same as hating in my book.

~Shadrach Anki

12. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Ah, yes, whoops! :sweat2: It's a love story where everyone dies at the end, that's NOT comedy!? :p

13. KazigluBey

KazigluBey New Member

Charles Dickens

I hate every book by Charles Dickens. I understand and value the importance of the message told in these novels, no man should be left behind in poverty. However this does not lessen my opinion of his works. I read Oliver Twist as a child and I can still envision the death of the character I had grown to respect through the story. (I hope I am not ruining the story for anyone who wishes to read it.) The Christmas Carol I also have no love for. I saw the Wishbone version of A Tale of Two Cities (okay so that's cheating, but hey) and I hated it. Wishbone had another Dickens story (I can't remember the name) and I hate that too. The only way I could possibly hate them more would be if they didn't have a happy ending. At least the problems for the main characters, for the most part, are resolved in a beneficial way. Okay, I'm just venting now, so I'll end it here. :sweat:

14. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

always thought Where the Red Fern Grows was a stupid pile...Red Badge of Courage can bite me. and The Scarlet Letter can too.
    all were books i "had" to read in school. i maybe read half of red badge, and maybe 4 or 5 of scarlet letter. why? cause they bored the living F*** out of me. i don't care about the kid in the civil war. i actually hate how glorified that war is made to be here. and well, how care about her having a kid with the preacher? not like that's soemthing new or anything i really care about. both were overly wordy, and boring to me. i can usually read anything, but these just put me to sleep in class...i only passed those sections due to other people letting me copy notes, and telling me what happened.

tale of two cities was a fun little book. not good, not bad, just "fun". writing notes for it ruled, cause she just checked to see that you had soemthing written. so yeah, loads of like, monty python was written with the words i knew she'd be looking for slipped in. ^^ i still have that notebook somewhere. it's a very fun read. and i did read that damnit.

15. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

*chuckles* Well, Bloodberry, maybe you should just stay away from books with variations of "red" found in the title. ^_^

Can't say that I've read any of those books, so I don't know what I'd think of them. However...I tend to not care much for "realistic" fiction in general, so I probably would find them boring.

~Shadrach Anki

16. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

I was forced to read this book "Phoenix Rising" and I really hated it. It was terribly depressing, and dealt a lot with nuclear disaster (which freaks me out, I can't stand that stuff.)
    (Spoilers: if you read this book)
    The boy survives this nuclear accident and is sent to live at this girl's house, whom EVENTUALLY he falls in love with, after tons of "memories" and the like.
    Clinging to life, she nurses him to health...
    Their relationship develops...
    Amazingly the boy, although weak, recovers and for the first time in months he and the girl walk outside together...
    The boy gets beat up a little by some kid. He dies.
    The end.

17. Kamui

Kamui X//1999... best anime eva

Yeah, I hate "A Wrincle in Time".

WORST BOOK EVER!!!

Sorry, i just hated the entire book, it made no sense.

18. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

I thought 1984 was disturbingly accurate to some aspects of human nature and society, and as such worth a read. However, it wasn't fun to read.

I've never read A Tale of Two Cities - but I did read Animal Farm, and voluntarily at that. I found it interesting. However, if you were forced to read it, I can understand your resentment. I always hated that about school; reading should be a pleasure, not a chore.

Where the Red Fern Grows... I remember that from maybe 5th grade. XD Didn't like it much then, but I don't recall thinking it was a bad story, so much as I just didn't like the ending. As for The Red Badge of Courage and The Scarlet Letter - I heartily agree, they were awful. XP I didn't hate the books, per se, but I hated being required to read them. Too many unnecessary words, too little that was actually worth spending time on. Still... books that are read as school assignments are, usually, not just about the period, but also about the writing style. *sigh* Or they're classics that help us understand the mood of the times - no one ever said they were supposed to be entertaining.

Now, as to books I can't stand - the Redwall books are one series that I just can't tolerate. When I was younger (say, 12-15), I really liked fantasy books and things with animals. However, I hated Redwall - I read about three of them and decided they were all boring and stupid. XD (A lot of what turned me off was the classic portrayal of predatory species as inherently evil and not very smart. That's always bugged me, since on average, predators have a better capacity for learning than prey-type animals do - so portraying a cat as evil and stupid and a mouse as smart and kind is nothing more than an effect of imposing human morals onto the food chain. Anyway, I don't like things to be so black and white, it's unrealistic and not very engaging.)

In that same vein of fantasy, I also wasn't fond of the Forgotten Realms series. It had far, far too many roleplaying clichés in it, the characters came across as very flat.

For books I had to read in school, My Brother Sam Is Dead (I think that was the title...) was absolutely mind-numbing. I was never fond of most of Shakespeare's plays, but I suppose that's my taste in genres rather than any reflection on the books themselves. Some were entertaining, some were not, enough said.

19. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

I read The Age Of Innocence in high school. I didn't finish it because it was kind of boring.

I really dont like Harry Potter either. I read some of the first book but it just didn't hold my interest.

20. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

I'll have to add another one.

The House of Seven Gables drove me insane. Hawthorne really doesn't know when to stop.