Its been so long.......

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by elizabeth1, Jul 17, 2005.

1. elizabeth1

elizabeth1 New Member

Wow,its been so long since anyone has visited. My sister bought me the entire 85 episode set of BOTP for my birthday. It was bought at amazon.com/uk and a seperate all region dvd player had to be used to play the DVD's. The episodes are great, the episodes following the death of Mark's father are amazing, very emotional and powerful. Everyone should go out and buy this set, it is incredible.

2. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

Im here

I have the box set too.

Did you like the movie? more to the point, did you like Zark in the movie??

3. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

I'm actually here several times a day, but there just hasn't been anything to say, really!

I have this set, also, and I found a region-free DVD player on eBay for $40, believe it or not. This is the ultimate set! I absolutely love it!

4. Meridian

Meridian New Member

I also have the set. Unfortunately my husband has "tidied it up", so I can't watch any of the episodes at the moment. Although I still have 60 episodes of the french version sitting on my shelf next to me -^_^-

5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

"Tidied it up"

Meaning what exactly...? ^.^;;

Obviously I don't have the box set, but if I ever get the chance to watch BotP, and I like it, I'll definately look into getting it. It's even older than me, though!

6. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

And I was seven years old when it premiered. I am old.

7. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

Me too. I must be getting old.

(still younger than my Skyline, tho`)

8. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Heh, and i thought i was the only one here who was constantly lurking the boards! Quite the unexpected reunion. I just sat back like a fisherman, waiting for one of you guys to take the bait (my latest thread) but to no avail! :anger2:

As I've mentioned before, back in 6/13 (one day before street date) I acquired the first 2 volumes of ADV's Gatchaman release. That same week i was given a nifty JVC DVD player as a hand-me-down (it didn't come with its original remote however. :( ) About 1 1/2 weeks later after tireless searching, i bought "The Best of G-Force" and "Battle of the Planets" Vol. 1. I had to bite the bullet and pay MSRP for those last 2 however, as my patience was wearing thin ($20 for BotP Vol. 1, yikes!).

I've been awfully busy recently, as I'm making the transition from HS to college (local for now, as I really need something to fall back on and a HS diploma currently isn't it. That and being unable to pay for a four-year stint/caught up in tons of debt later. Double yikes.) Hell, last weekend i just got about to taking off the shrinkwrap off the second Gatchaman volume! I still need to work on my setup so i can really sit down and enjoy these DVD's, but from what I've seen all the DVD's were worth the money. (Though i did suffer a Gatchaman burnout early on from cycling through 3 different versions of Gatch constantly)

I hope some of you guys *glares at Melek Taos & Mark* would reconsider and give ADV's Gatch release a chance. They're real cheap and chock full of episodes (6 per volume) so what have you got to lose? Oh, and many other reviews have since popped up since the Gatch release (all of which I'll direct to another thread soon) and they all have different things to say about ADV's release.

Well, that's all for now. Later..........

9. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Hey elizabeth1, seeing as you now have more corresponding episodes of BotP & G-Force, how would you compare the 2-parters from both shows (regarding Mark/Ace & Colonel Cronus/Red Impulse). How did BotP handle that 2 parter because I'm sad to admit that G-Force cut a couple of extremely violent scenes here & there (and just about killed almost all of the emotion of Red Impulse's death by lacing in the backbeat as Red Impulse was blown to bits. The worst abuse of the backbeat I've seen yet.) but the acting was still decent & believable. Even with those flaws the 2-parter were the best episodes on the "The Best of G-Force" DVD, followed by "The Sinister STAR-ONE or in BotP jargon "The Galaxy Girls". (Meridian, if you're reading this guess you were right about G-Force softening the death of Joe/Dirk's parents.)

10. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

I like the reviews that have come out recently and I think I will give it a try...when I get the money

11. elizabeth1

elizabeth1 New Member

Hi Melek,

I haven't seen the movie yet, I just got through the first 79 episodes (I skipped a few before 39 which I've seen before) and am on the last DVD which contains the movie so I haven't seen it yet. I'll watch it probably this Sunday and let you know what I thought.

Liz

12. elizabeth1

elizabeth1 New Member

Hi Dirk,

I actually liked both versions, though BOTP is my first love. The G-Force version touched me and made me cry but the BOTP version even missing the great scene in G-Force where Cronus says "my son!" before he dies, was very powerful. Casey Kasem nailed that episode. When Mark is on the floor and cries helplessly "don't go" after Cronus flung him in the air was great. I lost it, I cried my eyes out and I'm not someone who cries easily. So I was very impressed.

Liz

13. G-3

G-3 New Member

sorry to bring yet another old thread back, but um..didn't that stupid little robot 7-Zark-7 tell mark and princess that his father lived? how did they go about with story after that?

i never made it past that episode, it was after watching that one, i said "never again"

14. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

"How dare you call me a child, I'm as much of a man as you are!"

Quoted from Ace Goodheart near the end of "The Secret Red Impulse". I figure Zark must've been working overtime on that 2-parter. I mean even the G-Force version cut out something (Galactor executing one of his minions for making a simple mistake, but they used a very creative way of editing by still keeping in the concept of death, by implying the soldier fell to his death off-screen, complete with a very pathetic yelp). But like I mentioned before the backbeat really took away from the emotion by fulfilling its purpose (filling in the silent gaps).

15. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

No more of that kind of talk, G-3. 7-Zark-7 will not be spoken about in that manner on a "Battle of the Planets" board.

16. G-3

G-3 New Member

haha, yes i always laugh at that part,

oops! sorry commander. :shy2:

17. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

No, cos Chronus is given an even worse off screen death....

18. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

This is going to sound ridiculously strange...I never mentioned this to anyone before...but Zark and Rover remind me of my dogs Snoopy and Sophie (both beagles). Snoopy is older, and even though he's smaller than Sophie, Zark reminds me of him and Sophie reminds me of Rover. Sophie looks up to Snoopy and has never known a life without him...kind of like the way Rover looks up to Zark.

http://www.lopa.net/snoopy.htm (contains sound)