just a thought...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Polaris, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Polaris

Polaris New Member

why can't I make myself my own buddy? that kind of pisses me off...I wanted to do something incredibly stupid and unnecessary yet I can't because of limits! it's not justice!

but to the point.

I suggest you guys make a way so you can make your own avatars for this site and successfully upload them. I have made some avatars and to my disappointment, I couldn't use them here. cheers.

[​IMG]
    for your entertainment only

2. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I beleve that once you become a power user then you can upload your own avatars. As long as they apply to the rule's.

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

http://www.mangatoanime.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12978&highlight=power+users

Power Users are able to upload their own avatars.
    They are also able to change their title into whatever they wish.

I know it's to your "disappointment", but that's the way the rules are.

Please, read all the rules pertaining to boards.jp. Granted, some of the threads pertaining to these rules are rather hard to find, but they are there.

While it's a great idea, custom avatars were held in place to keep all avatars the same size. With rampant customization, such as avatars, in this case...people will more likely break rules.

Trust me, it does happen. Look how many people break signature rules on a DAILY basis.

4. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

I was disappointed I couldn't add myself as well, but the thought didn't even cross my mind to make a THREAD about it :)D). And the priviledge of uploading custom avatars is reserved for the power users (http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12978), but I'll quit sounding like a mod now for I have only one question for you.

What the heck is that picture supossed to be of?

[Edit: And seeing as two people already finished posting while I was still replying, I might as well put my slow typing skills to good use and edit this instead of wasting my time with a new post. Looking at your profile I see you're female, so...did you just randomly find a picture on the internet of some guy holding up Pringles and stick it on here?]

1 person likes this.
  5. Polaris

Polaris New Member

I still don't understand. though it would be quite a bit of work, you can adjust the forums so that when the user puts in a picture for the avatar the system automatically adjusts it to become the proper size. if you don't know how to do this and are interested, let me know...

by the way, I read the article on "power users". geez, not everyone can acquire that! (though that may be the point). I read the last rule to it...that's the hard part. not everyone is going to agree with you and a lot of people don't think of adding to karma. hell, I've been here for a while now and I've got -4 karma points. I'd say I'm a decent person (because this is coming from me, of course) and people tend to disagree with me or get offended at what I say even if it's not intentional. this sucks, I want my special avatar :(

to anyone who was wondering, that is a random picture I found
    (sorry this is late)

1 person likes this.
  6. Dante

Dante New Member

I don't think it's so much the people do not know how or don't feel like it... but rather the reason is (and I don't blame them) normal users, like those that will remain nameless and post completely and utterly pointless random pictures in posts, aren't exactly deemed "suitable" for the Custom Avatar purposes because it would be rather bit of a pain to adjust it so it's an appropriate picture and such, as it's not uncommon for someone to have wanted an avatar in the past that wasn't deemed acceptable.

I suggest you just wait the hundred days, get the whatever-needed post number amount and don't do anything silly that'll nail you in tidbits of trouble and get you on people's bad sides thus deeming you target for bad karma when you do something inappropriate or the likes.

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

People should be responsible enough to be able to do this for themselves. That's why that rule is in place. Also, just because the physical size is limited, doesn't mean the actual size is. It could be a 300 x 300 avatar, which takes up 70 kb, shrunken down to 64 x 64 and STILL take up 70 kb. Waste of bandwidth, when a simple 64 x 64 pixel avatar takes up no more than 7 kb, even with the massive amount of transparency that I use.

As far as I can gather, we CAN do that, but Cloud and Baka don't because it's extra space that's not needed. Just make a rule, and hold everyone responsible. And, BAM! Done.

The point of the karma system is to get along with everyone. Granted, most of the karma points come from debated and "heated" discussions...but, mods and lots of the members that I talk to are trying to make it a mainstay of boards.jp by handing it out and using the karma system.

If you'd support it, and use it, even if you're NOT giving points out, then it's easy to think that more and more people will do it.

As for me, I've been here a great deal longer than you, and since karma's implementation, I've only amassed 80 points. And, most people would (hopefully) say that I'm a friendly and helpful guy.

Work on it, and I'm sure it'll be easy for you to attain more karma points. Since it's STILL pretty new, it's hard for older members to get used to it, while newer members don't know WHAT to do with it.

50 points really ISN'T that bad, considering it was set at 100 points when it was first implemented (then hastily amended).

Yes, it sucks, deal with it. Sadly, you weren't here when the admin was taking up custom requests. But, I guess, that's the bad side of the coin. The good side is, that you're going to be able to change your avatar whenever you want once you hit Power User.

1 person likes this.
  8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

There are scaling scripts, and even ones that will crop or resample an image to a smaller size. In fact, even Power Users are limited in file and property size when it comes to custom avatars.

The system is more of a reward program for those of good behaviour. And it seems those of good karma and seniority are much, much more attuned to what is acceptable on the forums than the many who stumble in off the web for the first time.

My condolences on your inability to add yourself as a buddy, by the way. :)