Kakushi Ken Oni no Tsume OST

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by ndkent, Sep 21, 2004.

1. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

To be released October 20, 2004. Seems to be a new soundtrack for a a Samurai movie by Yoji Yamada ("Twilight Samaurai"). It's a 2000 yen album, so it might not be full length (as was the prior OST).

2. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

I never connected the director Yamada-san with his claim to fame in Japanese film history. He directed all 48 Tora-san films. Though Tomita wasn't involved they hold the international record for most feature film sequels (beating Zaitoichi by 20 or so sequels with two? that were Tomita scored in the early 70s). The Tora-san films were light comedies about a traveling salesman starring Kiyoshi Atsumi. The series ended when the star passed away. There's now a museum in the neighborhood where the character called home.

He also directed 4 Gakko ("School" aka "A Class to Remember") films which Tomita composed the music for.

Yamada-san has the reputation of finding sequel formulas that keep the audience coming back again and a again. As proof, he wrote but didn't direct I think 14 films in a feature film series called "Free and Easy".

This new film, while not a sequel is said to show the understanding of what made "Tasogare Seibei" popular and provides something along those lines but a little different

3. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

4. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

Tasogare Seibei / Twilight Samaurai OST

Yes, what the seller leaves out is that it's an EP.

Japanese price 1575 yen, a little under 16.5 minutes. Why so little? The film has a lot of quiet contemplation. (It was nominated for a U.S. Oscar and won the Japanese Academy Award for best score - probably what that gold seal is for -- I must have gotten an earlier copy without it, so I guess don't throw away the wrapper)

Like some other scores, Tomita does the orchestra part with samplers and then has a few musicians play parts like shakuhachi, percussion and guitar. You can tell it's Tomita if you know his original non-Moog work well you can hear a lot of little "signatures" - the first melody is whistled, variations on phrases in other works, string sounds, though it's not at all outer space themed. A hybrid of Japanese instruments - though the fiddle er-hu? sound seems Chinese then backed by Western orchestra sounds (via high end samplers). Anyway it's worth picking up if you don't have to pay quite such a markup.

5. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

I have the new soundtrack. (COCQ-83849) It's midpriced at 2100 yen and contains 44 minutes of music

It opens with a new 10 minute non-soundtrack orchestral Tomita composition called something like Prelude to the Dawn. It's has a march feel in parts with flute and drums though the strings and pastoral tone keep it from turining into a marching band number. There are moments of drama and emotion throughout

Then as the core of the album you get 10 tracks from "Kakushi Ken Oni no Tsume" a new period drama by Yoji Yamada.

Finally are I believe the same 5 tracks from "Twilight Samaurai" (Tasogare Seibei) making this a better value than the same tracks available on the separate album (unless of course there are some differences I've not spotted)

Overall very rich and occasionally quite delicate sounding. Often he'll use flutes for the melody and a string section. The earlier "Twilight Samaurai" score has more electronic sounds in it than the newer material. The first long piece doesn't seem to have any keyboard work and sticks to a Classical style.

6. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

The film is getting a U.S. release and good reviews right now. The English language title is "The Hidden Blade". Tomita's score is all real orchestra. I've not yet caught the film but I will.

"Twilight Samurai" is widely available on U.S. DVD and I'm sure Tomita will be offered the new samurai film director Yamada is shooting now for release next year.