Kenshin, Samurai or Ninja?

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Saiyan ChiChi, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

Do you think Kenshin was a samurai or more of a ninja?

I dont think Kenshin was a samurai because I dont think he served in a samurai clan. In Samurai X. Trust and Betrayal, Kenshin left his master to fight agaisnt the Shogunate and became an assassin. Ninjas were pretty much assassins. I think Kenshin seemed more like a ninja then a samurai.

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

So a samurai doesn't kill people? What the heck is a sword for?

I think the "pseudo" title "Rurouni" makes perfect sense for what Kenshin is. A Wandering Samurai. Though, like, Gensai said (or whoever the heck said it), a samurai with no allegiance has been theorized to be called a "ninja".

Personally, and a lot of people would agree: Kenshin was a samurai. He fought for his people as an allegiance. And if that's hard to swallow, well, it *IS* anime.

3. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

The Samurai did kill but they were not assassins like Kenshin was. And Izzy, it was just a simple question no need to get rude about it.

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Kenshin was NOT a ninja; he was a samurai. Even the fricken title of the OVA supports it: Samurai X. Even his fighting style and equipment is closer to that of a samurai.

You can be an assassin without being a ninja.

5. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

He may not be a ninja but he doesn't seem like a samurai either. Usaully a samurai served a shogun and in the first OVA, Kenshin didn't serve a shogun. I didn't mean that Kenshin was a ninja he just seems more like a ninja then a samurai.

6. Sanyu

Sanyu Member

In my opinion, he must be a samurai. I might be going off of pure stereotype here but don't ninjas wear black masks, etc.? I see a lot of animé samurais with the long ponytail as well. Heh, I usually despise stereotype but he seems like a samurai. He fights for his loved ones. And, (don't mind me and my pathetic stereotypes, I'm not myself today) ninjas usually have lightning speed. Not all but, you get me, ay?

--Beauty

7. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

well, kenshin is actually very fast. some of his moves are so fast that its impossible to see. plus, he can see bullets. :catgirl:

8. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Samurai follow the ethic code of Bushido, which does say that you have to "show loyalty to one's master." And if you've seen the OVA you'll remember Hiko saying, "You are not allowed to leave the mountain." I'm not sure but Kenshin did seem to disobey his master when he left to fight in the Bakumatsu. Yet, he does follow the other codes very well: http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/towers/9151/bushido.htm. Except one difference between him and other samurai is that he doesn't believe in Seppuku.

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

There were however masterless samurai and it is not implausible to think that one might seccede from service given extreme circumstances (that is, if the dishonour of carrying out the masters wishes would be worse than disbodience, the most honourable thing to do would be to leave).

As for seppuku, well, not everyone in military service will agree with policies.

Furthermore, samurai were not always honourable and actually following said code at certain points in history.

Edit: And as far as speed goes, just because you can move quickly does NOT mean you're a ninja. Some all terrain vehicles have treads, does that make them M1-A1 Abrams battletanks? :rolleyes:

10. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Saiyan ChiChi, I wasn't being "rude". I was posing a question. A sword, as Kenshin eloquently puts it...is for KILLING. There's not reason to be carrying a sword in those days and not have it be sharp enough to kill someone.

And, an assassin is a person sent to kill someone else. And I do believe that Kenshin did his fair share of missions where he was sent to kill someone specifically.

11. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

Kenshin is considered a Ronin. a ninja is a clan of warriors raised from birth for the sole purpose of espionage. He and all of the Hiko's before him were all considered Ronin, or mercenaries. The title "Samurai X" is the american name for the show and really doesnt support anything. Honestly, yes samurai arent all as chivalrous as Kenshin is.

12. ShinigamiSenshi

ShinigamiSenshi New Member

Kenshin is a Samurai. he was trained to use a sword by Hiko and technically he did join a side. he joined the imperialists to fight against the Tokugawa Shogunate. he fought with his sword like any other person except after the revolution he just went about using his sword in different way than other samurai. he would just wander around and do what he could for the people that needed his help.

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

When he left Hiko's care he hadnt decided to choose a side. he merely knew that he was needed to protect those who were suffering. He was found by Katsura Kogorou, the young leader of the Ishin Shishi. Katsura asked him "Have you ever killed anyone with this Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu?" Kenshin replied "No, but if by dirtying my own sword i bring peace to this nation then i will kill"

hes definitly a samurai, more precisly a ronin.

14. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

Hiko wanted to keep Kenshin away from both the Ishin Shishi and the Tokugawa Shogunate. He wanted Kenshin to practice swordsmanship and lead a simple life too. So I guess Kenshin was neither a Samurai or a ninja, he just a swordsman who became an assassin.

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

its not that he wanted him to lead a simple life, he just didnt want him to choose a path that would lead him to becoming a murderer. "although his intentions are pure, and his path unavoidable...he shouldnt be rushing into this now..."

16. ShinigamiSenshi

ShinigamiSenshi New Member

i also think one of the reasons he didnt want Kenshin to choose a side is b/c the person who learns the sword techniques of the Hiten Mitsurugi would create unbalance if they chose a side to fight on which is why i think the Imperialists won.

17. Hitokiri_Gensai

naw, both sides had incredibly strong swordsmen. it was because of firearms that the Ishin Shishi won. if they hadnt had those, then the Bakufu would have one. they had many orginized groups such as the Kyoto Mimiwarigumi, the Shinsengumi, and the Shogitai, just to name a few.

18. Hyoga

Hyoga New Member

Im really sure he's not a ninja therfore Im sure he's a samurai.

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

Aoshi and the Oniwabanshuu are "Ninja". technically they're metsuke. Kenshin, Shishio, Raijuta, Katsura, Takasugi etc. are Samurai.

20. HimuraKenshin

HimuraKenshin New Member

if anyone paid attention he's neither!! he's an imperiallist and a batussia (sry aboutr bad spelling) come on this is basic stuff people :anger2: