Kenshin ...

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Zanza, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Why was Kenshin's hair was colored in red?

2. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

[STUPID MODE ON! [​IMG]]
    I don't know ... looks better than blue?
    [STUPID MODE OFF! [​IMG]]
    Seriously, maybe its because as the Hitokiri Batousai (excuse me if I spelled that wrong), Kenshin killed a lot, and thus probably saw a lot of blood. The colour of his hair could be symbolic of that.
    On the other hand, maybe it's just a hair colour, and it doesn't matter?
    [too much time around English teachers!]

------------------
    Zanshi, Paranoid Android

3. Zanza

Staff Member

I know, but look @ the others, all their hair was normal, from black, brown, blond to white (for Enishi cuz he saw his sister dieing) ...
    I need more infos!
    But thanx anyway ... [​IMG]

4. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

[STUPID MODE ON [​IMG]!]
    Mayhap it makes him stand out more so we don't forget that he's the main character?
    [STUPID MODE OFF [​IMG]]!]

------------------
    Until then, I remain your obedient servant, GNZ

5. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I agree with Zanshi.. they'd all say 'It's the red haired guy' 'with the scar' and stuff like that..but they'd always see the red hair first, and no one had hair quite like his...

6. Zanza

Staff Member

I am so sorry, but I am still confused [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] !!!

7. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

You and me both, bucko.
    Why not just forget about Kenshin's hair and focus on the show itself? I thought I was obsessive with my SM hating and RK's historical inaccuracies ...
    IT'S HAIR, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!

------------------

8. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

I'm probably making a moot point, but on a cultural scale, red hair is lucky in Japan, I have a friend (with red hair, incidentally) who lived in japan for a short while, people asked for permission to rub his head all the time... just a cultural note.

-UK

9. Zanza

Staff Member

really! [​IMG] this is weared ! [​IMG]

10. Zanza

Staff Member

If y [​IMG]u d [​IMG]n't like what am I talking ab [​IMG]ut, then why the hell are y [​IMG]u replying??? [​IMG]

11. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I'm just trying to point out that the colour of his hair doesn't matter. Would you still watch the series if Kenshin's hair was blue? Damn right, you would. Brown? Hell yeah! He could have been bald for all I care. Does the colour of your hair have to mean anything? Does mine? Does any of it really matter?! His hair is red! DEAL WITH IT!!!

------------------

12. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Okay, Okay...his hair was red, and it looks good red (I wish I had red hair along with an x-scar)... but this thread is causing probs.

Zanshi, there is a difference between freedom of speech and verbal abuse!! and Zanza everyone can reply, if someone has something to say that you don't like..don't explode at them (what would Kenshin do...(WWJD?)).

------------------
    Aku Soku Zan('s)

13. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

[FORMAL MODE ON! [​IMG]]
    I, GentatsuNoZanshi cc61, hereby issue my formal apology for any inconvenience cause by my current ramblings. Please resume normal discussion as if I have said nothing ...
    [FORMAL MODE OFF! [​IMG]]
    Then again, can we really pretend that history has never happened? Let's just move on, aight?

------------------
    GNZ, extending the olive branch

[This message has been edited by GentatsuNoZanshi cc61 (edited 08-30-2001).]

14. Zanza

Staff Member

there is something that my bro made me notice, where did koaru and kenshin got the money?
    *did koaru got it from her passed away father?
    *did kenshin got it from his past years from killing?

15. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Okaaay...here we go!

-To begin with, Kenshin is pretty much flat broke...yup, being a wandering vagabond (rurouni) will do that to you. I can reinforce this point: When Misao tries to rip him off for all he's worth when they first meet, she can't find anything of value on him - excpet his sword (which she admits isn't worth much with a reversed balde, but still better than nothing!)
    -As a hitokiri, nope he didn't work for any sort of pay as I follow...he joined for his ideals which included stopping the bloodshed...
    -As Aoshi notes before Kanryu attempts to buy out Kenshin, if the Battousai had been interested in money, he would have been exceedingly wealthy by that time...

So far, I've kind of spelled out that Kenshin's ain't got cash...so, who's bringing in the bacon - you can bet it's not that Sano character who walks out on every meal at the Sukiyaki before settling his bill!

-Then the burden falls on Kaoru, and their lack of funding shows up from time to time in the early to mid episodes...
    -She most likely did have some money inherited from her father, and probably from the Students she taught Kasshin Ryu to - that is, until they quit from the rumors Gohei spread...
    -So, while they aren't well off, they scratch by on odd jobs and other sources: In one episode, Kaoru sells off an old chinese painting of her father's...to get the ball rolling in the Shura pirate cycle, she signs up as a guard...

So, while nobody holds a steady source of income, they pull together what they can...

BakaMattSu, plus it's the 19th century - not really any electric bill - they seem to eat small dishes like rice and pickles, so how much do you really need??

16. Zanza

Staff Member

Thank you very much, that covers it all ...

.....*** A [​IMG]R [​IMG]I [​IMG]G [​IMG]A [​IMG]T [​IMG]O [​IMG]O [​IMG] *** .....

17. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

This is my explanation so please be kinf and dont laugh :p
    The creator of RK wanted to create a character that is unique in its own time. He wanted to create a main character that is different from other characters in all of manga. He decided to make the character look weak and pathetic but in the same time dangerous and strong. He gave kenshin a skinny body which to us apears as a weak man but in his body helps him in his speed while fighting. It is said that red-heads are short-tempered. His hari represents Kenshin's past and his old personality and identity.By using these small aspects the creator of RK (who i always forget his name)gives impression that kenshin is a different person from what he looks "DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER".

18. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Good call, Phat. The whole "judge me by my size do you?" approach. I agree on all accounts. (bet you never expected to hear GNZ say that ! [​IMG])

------------------
    SUPER NOVA GOES POP!

19. Zanza

Staff Member

So that you wont say I didn't say anything ...

------------------
    Zanza

<<**zzzzzzz**>>

20. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Hehe, Kawakami Genzai(the hitokiri that Kenshin was based off of) actually had a short stature, and kept his hair long and was kinda girly looking. I'm not sure if he had red hair though. [​IMG]