Kenshin's outfit

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Kenshin_Himura, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Kenshin_Himura

Kenshin_Himura New Member

What exactly is the outfit that Kenshin wears called. You know the outfit with the he wears with those pants that have wide leg sleeves? What is the technical name for that in japan?

2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

maybe ask in the Rurouni Kenshin forum. Maybe some Kenshin fan will know. I know its not a Kimono. lol.

3. Superfly

Superfly Active Member

Aikido Hakama

Hakama: The traditional Hakama is a wash and wear skirt in a pleated design with two sections serving as pant legs. Koshiato in back attaches ties for a comfortable fit at the waist.

4. Kenshin_Himura

Kenshin_Himura New Member

kenshin

Thanks for your help now i know what the hakama is? But I just have one more question what does he wear with it you know his top. I only ask because I am studying kendo and i would like an outfit like that.

5. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Moving to Rurouni Kenshin Forum.

- Teddz

6. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

the pants, are like someone posted hakama. the top is simply a kimono. its pulled up between the legs and the hakama are worn over it. its very comfortable once you get used to it being rather open and flowing. but usually the sleeves are pulled back with a long cord so that they dont get in the way during a fight. Obviously they dont have to be and i tend not to but they do sometimes get in the way. during the days when the samurai were posted at Edo castle the samurai would also where duty attire, that being the hakama and kimono with a jacket like item called a Kataginu. it has stiff shoulders that stick out and are usually made from the same cloth as the hakama. and technically the hakama were made for Kenjutsu not Aikido although the do wear them in Aikido.

7. Ice_blue_eyes

Ice_blue_eyes New Member

Yep

Hitokiri_ Gensai hit the nail on the head. Oh yes, and if you are going tho get an outfit like Kenshin's then I suggest (are you boy are girl?) that you don't get a PINKkimono like Kenshin wears. I mean, PINK!!?? Misao was right, he is a girly man...*snicker*

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

well colors didnt really state whether the person was a guy or a girl back then...and the color pink was considered a color for guys up until the 1920's so...eitherway my kimono is blue and hakama are white...very very confortable...great way to stand out during the summer by the way...

9. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

10. Hitokiri_Gensai

again the top is simply a kimono or for guys its usually called a Yakuta. the Haori also known as a Hanten is a spring festival jacket and is worn during festivals and during the spring and summer as a light jacket.

11. Chibi Sango

Chibi Sango New Member

i just thought that he wore a gi and put on some pants that i did. :catgirl: i still might be right but i dont know!

12. Hitokiri_Gensai

nope, a gi is used in karate, in Kendo or Kenjutsu or Iaido or Iaijutsu they wear Hakama which as the split skirt trousers and a kimono which is hiked up between the legs. now sometimes they also wear a Haori but thats really only a dress item reserved for wear during festivals.

13. Chibi Sango

Chibi Sango New Member

oh. well that is the 100th time that i have proven that im stupid on my own. Let's make it 1000! STUPIDITY WILL RULE EVERY ONE! *evil laugh* :cool:

14. DistantSamurai

DistantSamurai New Member

don't worry about it. when i first got into kenshin...a while back... i thought it was called a gi too. but yeah like past people have said. The pants are called a hakama and the top is simply called a kimono. i liked his magenta outfit but i liked Battousai's colors more. more suited to him, but oh well^_^

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

well the "gi" is what they use in modern dojo cause. its semi traditional and it also is easy to use because it doesnt have long flowing sleeves.