Kenshin's Sakabatou

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Izzy, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Here, gents. A sakabatou for your viewing pleasure.

However, if this thread has already been shown...then, like, delete it.

Or something.

[​IMG]

2. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

good pic! is this true that katana is really really heavy??

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

in the manga extra Yahiko No Sakabatou, he does state that it is an extrememly heavy sword. while this may or may not be true, the sakabatou above probably doesnt exceed 2.5 pounds.

now, as far as props go, that is the best ive ever seen. in the other ones that ive seen, the saya *scabbard*, has saya-ito or scabbard wrapping. which is incorrect. the sakabatou and sakabatou shinuchi have traditional scbbards. Meaning that they are made from Ho wood, except for the fact that the sakabatou's scabbard was iron. now the Sageo or belting cords are tied correctly. the tsuka or handle is properly wrapped and the menuki *ornaments in the handle* are in there proper place.

actually im wondering where you found that picture? im looking into buy a sakabatou for prop purposes. i honestly would never fight with that sword as it no doubt would break fairly easily. because of the fact that the edge is on the back, the whole back is a 60 RHC meaning that it is super hard, so therefore the blade cannot bend to absorb shock. meaning its more likely to break than a regular katana. besides that, i have a 1200 dollar katana for kenjutsu, but as i stated before, that is a superb prop.

4. ShinigamiSenshi

ShinigamiSenshi New Member

wow Gensai. im quite impressed with ur knowledge of japanese swords. nice :catgirl:

5. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Hitoriki_Ginsu *winku*

I forgot where I actually FOUND the sword. But, behold the magic of Right Click -> Properties.

http://www.tsuki-kage.com

And yeah, I can imagine that this sword is extremely weak if you use it as a regular sword. The back would be indescribably brittle.

6. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

well...truly the katana is nowhere near as strong as many myths make them out to be. although i do think they are infintly stronger than other swords, i do believe like every other edged weapon, the edge will dull and chip over time. anyway. the edge of the sakabatou is strong but because of the way the sword has to be made the whole blade would be be hard making it so that the blade wouldnt be able to absorb shock therefore making it very brittle. My katana is very strong but it does have several small chips in the blade from cutting practice. although they arent large enough to render the sword unuseable, they are visable and detract from the blades overall beauty.