Music Labeling Bands

Discussion in 'Music' started by Peachy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

I've heard enough about this, and frankly i'm pissed. I'm a big fan of music, but it seems that every time I come around someone is labeling a band they haven't even heard two songs by. This thread could be a chance for some of us to lash out and say why they think that people need to stop labeling this band this or why they think they should be labeled this. I actually find labels 'retarded' but when it comes to music, their needed.

My rant --

Subject - KoRn
    Label - EmO, Rock/Pop

Ok...do what? There's only two songs that I know of by KoRn that are COMPLETLY emO and that's "No One's There" and "Alone I Break"! I find that so freggin annoying..Half of these twits haven't even listened to half the chorus line of any of this band's songs and their already going "oh that's so emo" Gawh..

Now for the rock/pop. Rock to me is Breaking Benjamen, Chevelle, Hinder etc. I don't think their that low on the hardcorness that they can be labeled "rock" BUT OH MY GOD! POP!?? CAN YOU SAY BRITNEY SPEARS!??

I'm done.

2. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

Label bands....I'd rather just listen to their music :p

I can't really label any bands because I haven't heard very many CDs of their many hundreds of others. But the ones I really like to listen to is Linkin Park, Nickel Back, and Godsmack.

Linkin Park: They'd be some where between Rock and some other type I can't remember for the life of me O_O I like thier music because it just sounds very different from some others I've heard.

Godsmack: Rock and I think metal but I can't really say for sure, just my guess :p. The darkest band I've ever heard...then there would be KoRn as second darkest because I've only heard like two or three songs but they were very good.

Nickel Back: Rock and maybe something else. One of my favorite bands and their music is just very good.

Oh and have you noticed yet that I know next to nothing on labeling bands :p?

3. Luffy

Luffy I Can See A New Horizon

its lame.... I think My Chemical Romance was once Labled Vampire Rock WTF IS THAT??? Emo/goth/punk/indie pick one dayum no one for each song lame think what you think dont label them

4. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Half the bands I listen to noone has even heard of. Zox, The Academy Is, Boy Hits Car, etc. Anyone even heard of them?

I get tired of these bands people like just because they get radio play. Damn, the radio is a breeding pit for all the pop bullsh!t they have. I don't like bands like Nickleback, or bands like Korn. I avoid almost anything that involves Rap so Linkin Park isn't my thing. Heck, the only rapper I can even stomach is Sage Francis.. And most of you have no idea who that is.

See? No radio play, no kudos. =( He's so good, yet most of you will never get a chance to hear his stuff. >< Argh, look him up on MySpace!!

I dunno. I chose to broaden my horrizons and just listen to what I like. Most of that happens to be fairly indie like Kind of like Spitting, and Sparta, but it's ok. I'd rather enjoy bands noone's heard of then lie and say I like the crap that makes the radio.. :dizzy2: :dizzy2: :dizzy2: :dizzy2:

5. Luffy

Luffy I Can See A New Horizon

The Acadmey is... rules man ive been listening to them and the staions around here play the same crap rap 10 times then repeat them all day for like a week its bad real bad

and its true I like bands like 30 Seconds my friend told me about them there realy good any one heard of them...? But its up to you what you like not what the radio plays....

6. Chane

Chane Audience of One

I would say at one point that KoRn was pop because all pop mean is "popular", and they were amazingly popular at least at a point in the past. I wouldn't go as far to say that KoRn is metal, so I would say they are rock.

There's no one band I really listen to a lot. Incubus, Sonic Youth, Live, Nickelback, Oasis, Radiohead, The Talking Heads mostly... and recently started listening to Ian Brown. Not sure what you'd consider most of those. :D

7. Alchemy_Dude

Alchemy_Dude is addicted to bad ideas.

Okay, time to put some rumors to rest. To start, I listen to Emo music. Modern Emo, like Taking Back Sunday, Hawthorne Heights (old album, new one has no excuse), My Chemical Romance, Thrice, and Coheed and Cambria. These bands fit (more or less) under the label of Emo, inasmuch (yes, that's a word) as it stands for emotional. Their lyrics are about personal loss, love, or any such feelings, and they deserve to be classified as Emo.

However, most people have begun to label things as Emo if it is wimpy, feminine, or just not what they like. This is not the purpose of labels and genrelization (that's a word too) in general. Genres were created to describe a band's music to people who had never heard it before, so people could find common ground and expand their musical tastes. Nowadays, it has done exactly the opposite. People instantly dismiss anything falling outside the genres they claim to listen to, with no regard for the actual music. Genres are fluid, and change from person to person. There can be no universal genres, because they depend on opinion, which will always change.

And don't even get me STARTED on Ska.

8. Chance

Note to you from me, as the biggest Coheed fan alive, they are Progressive rock, like Rush and the Mars Volta. So, I couldn't let them be called Emo. Emo isn't really a genre anyway.. No matter what all the little 'emo' kids like to say.

9. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Edit: Korn is NuMetal. Bottom Line.

10. Alchemy_Dude

I know, but if you talk to a non-fan, chances are they'll call them Emo. Although, my brother (the biggest Rush fan of all time) once hinted that they were the one Emo band that didn'ty make him want to go cry in a corner while cutting himself with a rusty bic razor. That's what passes for a compliment with him.

11. Chane

Chane Audience of One

If people call KoRn "NuMetal", I feel even worse for them. :p

12. Sabrina

Sabrina New Member

Staind is really depressing for me...I hear just about any Staind song (esp. Right Here) and it reminds me of my cutting days and being so deep in depression that I'd never get out :p My sister listens to FFTL and emo music like that..i don't like it :p:p

13. Alchemy_Dude

Didn't anyone read my first post?

LABELS=BAD

14. Chance

Aye, labels do equal bad. ;3 The older you get, the more wise people become to the fact all music is just that. Music. No matter the genre, it's what you like and you should learn to stop conforming with the younger kids and start assimilating with the older crowds. XD