Languages and Culture Learn Sign Language

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Basher, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Yep. I am going to teach those who want to learn sign language. I do have pictures that will help. And I will also describe how to do it. Sign language isn't just about learning the alphabet there are other ways to sign different words. We will start of with the basics like greetings, closings, and the alphabet. So for those who want to learn get ready. I'll post my first lesson soon. I just want to make sure there is enough participation.

2. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Count me in!! I am so curious into how to 'speak' it ^^

(specially since I saw the jdrama "Orange Days" - <3 *Fabee*)

3. Basher

Basher's Lesson Plan

First Lesson- Hello, Good-Bye, and a few others
    Second Lesson- ½ of the alphabet
    Third lesson- Last half of the alphabet
    Special Lesson- A secret lesson
    Fourth Lesson- Numbers

I am splitting the alphabet in half because I also want to describe the actions with the pictures. I hope it will help some. After the fourth lesson we will go on from there.

First Lesson

[​IMG]

Hello- Using your right hand place it on your forehead as if to salute (but not as rigid). Your fingers will be together and your thumb in. Just like in the picture. Your pointer finger should be touching your forehead. Move your hand outward, ending up with palm facing forward in the air just a few inches from the forehead.

[​IMG]

Good-Bye- Place your right hand out and up with your palm out (not facing you). Youe elbow should be bent. Have you thumb in. And wave good-bye. *See you knew a little sign already ^_^*

[​IMG]

Yes- Using your right hand out and make a fist. Your thumb should be covering a few of your fingers. Your should can be bent. Move the wrist to make your fist go down, up, then down again, as if it is someone's head shaking a "yes" acknowledgement.

[​IMG]

No- Using your right hand hold it out with elbow bent. Have your pinky and ring finger in fist format. Bring your first two fingers (pointer and middle) together once to close the thumb.

[​IMG]

Please- Using your right hand, flatten your fingers together on your chest. Rub in a circular motion mid-chest.

[​IMG]

Sorry- Take your right hand and make a fist with your thumb over fingers again, Place on your mid-chest and make a circular motion.

[​IMG]

Thank You- With your open hand, touch lips, and then extend hand outward, keeping palm facing the face (as if throwing a thank-you kiss).

[​IMG]

(You’re) Welcome- Touch your forehead with your index finger on your right hand. Have your thumb in and all other fingers touching. Then touch chest with the wrist of that same hand. Your pinky then should be touching your chest. The motion will be somewhat semi-circular, as if you are inviting or welcoming someone to be close to you.

Special Sign

For all those Scary Movie lovers here is What’s Up? ^_^

[​IMG]

What’s Up?- Hold both of your hands a few inches from your chest. Your pointer fingers should be touching. Your middle fingers in. Your thumb should be up. Move your hand up. It should be ¼ of a circle. Your middle fingers will be touching your ring finger as in the picture.

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Which site/book did you pull those from? I learned a bit of sign language this past year, but rather than wait around for the next lesson I'd like to jump ahead, and since you seem to know where to find them...

5. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

I can already sign but im interested in the next lesson.

6. Basher

Sorry for the wait but here is Lesson 2 and 3. ^_^

Second Lesson

Here is an image of all the letters. I will explain each one in two lessons. Use your signing hand (your right hand). Your elbow should be bent. And remember a person should be able to view your signing just like in the picture.

[​IMG]

A- Close your fist with your thumb up.
    B- All but your thumb up. Leave your thumb in kind of like swearing an oath or pledging.
    C- Curve your fingers to forum the letter C. All but your thumb should be touching.
    D- Your pinky and ring finger should be down. Your middle and your thumb touching while your pointer in up.
    E- Make half a fist with your whole hand and your thumb in.
    F- Your thumb and pointer finger touching and the rest are up and together.
    G- Your thumb and pointer are out (not touching) while the rest are in fist format.
    H- Show the back of your hand. Your pointer and middle finger should be out and facing the left while the rest are in fist format.
    I- Make a fist and hold your pinky up.
    J- Make a fist and your pinky should be out. In the air make a J. Should see back of hand.
    K- Your pinky and ring finer are down. Your thumb meets your middle finger while your pointer is up.
    L- Make a fist and have your thumb and pointer to make an L shape.
    M- Your pinky should be down while your thumb is in. The rest of your fingers should come over the thumb but are not completely in. They should also be touching.

Third Lesson

N- Your pinky and ring down while your pointer and middle is out. Your thumb should go over your ring finger.
    O- Curve your fingers to make an O. Your thumb should be the bottom while the others are the top.
    P- Show the back of your hand and point it down. Your pinky and pointer are in. Your middle be down and out and your pointer should be out and midway from out and up. Your thumb will be over your pointer.
    Q- Hand down and show the back of your hand. Your pinky and thumb should be out while the rest are in fist format.
    R- Your pinky and ring are in fist format with your thumb over the top of them. Cross your middle and pointer. Middle should be over the pointer.
    S- Make a fist and your thumb should be over your hands.
    T- Make a fist but take your thumb and place it in between your pointer and middle.
    U- Make a fist but put your pointer and middle up and together. Place your thumb over your ring finger.
    V- Make a fist but put your pointer and middle up and separate the two. Place your thumb over your ring finger.
    W- Put your pinky down and middle over your pinky. Your other finger should be up and not touching.
    X- Make a fist and have your pointer finger covered. Your thumb should be beneath your middle.
    Y- Make a fist and have you thumb and pinky out.
    Z- Make a fist and have your thumb over your middle. Hold your pointer in the air and make a Z shape.

Neph- http://pbskids.org/arthur/print/signdesign/ Here is one that I know of.

Look with in the next few days for the special lesson.

7. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Cool. We actually had a course in Sign Language during my highschool days...

Sadly, I chose traffic class over that and "super duper advanced maths".

8. Basher

Did you people think I forgot? Well I kind of did. Sorry.

Special Lesson
    [​IMG]

You won't typically see the dotes not marked in big.

Now go rub the nearest restroom sign. :D

9. monkiki_ba

monkiki_ba New Member

haha, i just tried that. still don't get it though.

hey, sign language is pretty cool!

1 person likes this.