Languages and Culture Learn Spanish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by max1, Sep 9, 2004.

1. max1

max1 New Member

the second best language of the world

2. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

This year I'll be a third-year Spanish student, so I'm willing to help out with this class!

Okay, so, it's relatively easy for anyone who already knows French, and for anyone who doesn't you should have too much trouble with Basic Spanish anyway because even English has some words in common with Spanish.

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I can help out a bit as well. I took Spanish all through High School, and though I am a bit rusty, I do know quite a bit of the language.

Certainly more than my parting statement.

¡Hasta la vista!

4. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

Good more work, maybe I wont suck at saying it anymore...(we have to take it again nexted year I didnt want to take it but we have to) all I remember the teacher saying to me was No Chickley<I cant spell is also.Rosa-pink right?Thats about it lol. :p I took it for a year and I only know to things from that class , we also watched a movie that said the world would end in 2012 it was somehting to do with these people from there.

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

i took Spanish for 7 years...but...since i had somewhat of a lack of care for it...i havent retained much...so...im kinda interested in perhaps picking it up again as a third language

6. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

Oh! I'll help! I been picking up Spanish every since I was little- I live in an area with a heavy Hispanic population. I also took it up in school.
    I'd say its more similar to Italian, though, MT... French seems so difficult.

!Ayudare!
    (upside down-ness...)

1 person likes this.
  7. max1

max1 New Member

spanish

here you have some expressions
    how are you=como estas
    love=amor
    donde vas=where do you go?
    stupid=tonto
    ****=mierda
    ok ,thats all for today

8. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

I speak Spanish (native speaker! ^^), so if anybody would like some help, I'd be glad to give you some.

"¿Dónde vas?" is "Where are you going?" "Where do you go?" while literal, is an awkward way of phrasing it. >.>;; But it's literal, which I think is cool. XD *hugs max1*

9. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

Oh are we starting already? Here are super simple things to memorize that you'll use a lot when conversing in Spanish. They're easy, but you need them.
    I- yo
    She- ella
    He- el
    They- ellos
    We- nosotros
    y- and
    o- or
    en- in/on
    Buenos tardes- Good afternoon
    Buenos Noches- Good night
    Buenos dias- Good morning
    Adios- Goodbye
    Hola- Hello

10. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

Sorry to be nit-picky, but: Buenas noches. Night is "la(s) noche(s)" and "la(s)" is feminine/female. (Leave it to Spanish to be freaky like that. >.>)

Adding to that pot:
    Buenas tardes - Good day, good evening

11. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm also a native speaker ^^ if any additional help PM or IM me :)

12. Reisti Skalchaste

Alrighty, here's a few important phrases. Sorry about the lack of upside-down punctuation, it's a little difficult to type them. (I) means Informal, and (F) means Formal.

Como te llamas? - What is your name? (I)
    Como se llama usted? - What is your name? (F)
    Como estas? - How are you? (I)
    Como esta usted? - How are you? (F)

Look to this post in the future for further phrases.

And of course, you can go here for full instruction.

13. max1

max1 New Member

buenas noches

how do you know so good shinryu? are you studying spanish?

14. Reisti Skalchaste

I did, yes. I took Spanish Grade 10 through Grade 12, so I know quite a bit. Since I don't use it that often though, my Spanish skills have fallen off a bit. As I remember/look up phrases or rules, I'll post them here.

15. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

25% is a lot of people

The Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world with 425.000.000 speakers! Guess which are the top three.

El español es el idioma más hablado en América (the continent). Con las fronteras de los países abriéndose al libre comercio, el poder manejar siquiera una segunda lengua va a ser muy importante en el futuro. Se predice que en el 2050 el 25% de la población de los Estados Unidos de América (USA) será latina.

Who can translate it? Not a native speaker please. translation-sites are not allowed (Se nota la diferencia).

Native speaker. Need help? jedimdo is here.

16. Reisti Skalchaste

Let's see. These aren't word-for-word translations, but rather, they are meant to convey meaning, while still making sense in English.

"Spanish is the language most spoken in America (the continent)."
    Can't understand second sentence very well, here's my best effort. "With the frontiers of the -something- -something-, -something- -something-
    -something- a second language to be very important in the future."
    "Estimations for 2050 say 25% of the population of the United States will be Latin-american."

I'm surprised I remember that much at all. My skills have really fallen off.

No native speakers, no problem! I'm Canadian born, and didn't start learning Spanish until 3 years ago.

17. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Good. In my opinion Spanish is harder than English. It has more vocabulary and grammar rules. But it's less ambiguous. What do you think?

Well, the second one is a little hard. It isn't very formal. Let's change it:
    "Ahora que las fronteras de los paises se abren al libre comercio, hablar por lo menos una segunda lengua va a ser muy importante."
    Something else: Latino must be understood as 'latin-american' (Because french, spanish, italian, etc. people are also latin).

The Top Three 'Most spoken languages':
    1. Chinese!!! (Over 1.200 million speakers!)
    2. Second one?
    3. Third one? Ooops!.. Spanish is the fourth, sorry. :eek:
    Which are those?

18. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

*laughs* you think your spanish skills are lacking ^_^x;;;;; i spent 7 years studying Spanish and i cant speak a word of it ^_^x;;;;;;; after 3 years of Japanese however im very close to being fluent in it...

19. Reisti Skalchaste

I don't know. Spanish seemed pretty easy for me. But then, I seem to have great skills when it comes to learning languages. For example, I've never been formally taught Japanese, but I can pronouce it near perfectly, and I can piece together some small sentences.

As for Spanish, I studied it for three years, and have learned quite a bit. I never found it that difficult. My marks for the three years were:

Spanish 10: 90% (An excellent start, with an excellent teacher)
    Spanish 20: 77% (Bad year for all subjects, this was my best mark)
    Spanish 30: 83% (Despite crappy teacher with no teaching experience)

And those were marks I got without studying!

I solved what I already have with my own knowledge, but I couldn't figure this sentence out.

Here's my second attempt, after consulting my old notes.

"Now that the borders of the -something- are open to free trade, the ability to speak a second language will be very important."

For the life of me, though, I can't figure out what "paises" means. I know it's a plural noun, singular form being "pais," and it does sound familiar, but I can't figure it out.

As for the languages, it's Mandarin Chinese that is most spoken, after that, I'm not sure, but English is likely second or third, and, as you said, Spanish is fourth.

20. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

This attempt was very close to the real meaning so I'm going to reveal it.

"Now that the frontiers of the countries are opening to free trade (it's ok, but commerce fits better), the ability to speak at least a second language will be very important."

C'mon!, Pais means Country. The frontiers are not yet opened so they 'are opening'. And you missed 'por lo menos' that means 'at least'. Very good :cool: .

It was the first thing that came into my mind because my country is negotiating the TLC, Tratado de Libre Comercio, with the USA.

I wasn't saying that Spanish is difficult, just a little harder than English. I've learned english by myself until 17 years old, watching tv, music, computer, etc., the school never thaught me more than I already knew. Now I'm in level 6 (They're 8) at the university. I'm also learning Japanese in the internet. And, like you said, learning languages seems to be easy to me too.

The Top Three most spoken languages in the world:
    1. Mandarin Chinese (Thanks for the note Shinryu! Over 1.200 million speakers!)
    2. English (Right! 690'000.000 speakers)
    3. ------???
    Still waiting fot the third one.

Like in the previous signature: Warning, maybe some spanglish here! :D
    Hmm... signature...? Ah!, what about the new one Shinryu? Romanize it if you want.