Japanese Learning the Language

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nakoruru, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Nakoruru

Nakoruru New Member

I was wondering, is it hard to learn to speak Japanese? I really want to learn no matter what, but I just want to know what i am heading for.

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

its quite challenging...but worth it. anything is easier to learn as long as you *want* to learn it otherwise you wont pick up on it as easy...for instance i went through 7 years of spanish...and i still cant speak it fluently...heck i forget how to even say hello...but ive been taking japanese for a little over 1 1/2 now and already i can get myself around Tokyo...so...yes its very demanding...you have to be able to read hiragana and katakana which is the verbal alphabet and about 2000 Kanji to be able to read a newspaper...scholars often learn close to all 40,000 characters...but basic life doesnt require much more than thos basice 2000 and the two verbal alphabets...

4. shippou

shippou New Member

japanese

i can say the language when it is in written english (i think romanized)
    e.g:konnichiwa , yatta,yosh.
    i have a notebook with all the wriiten japanese i can find.
    but i recently bought a japanese dictionary....i can write the stuff but i don't know how to say it.
    so it is really hard for me ......
    even tough i am 15 and speak (english,irish,french,german,- a little italian and a little africain *1 prayer*)4 and like a teeny little bit languages :dizzy2:

5. fluffyofthewind

fluffyofthewind New Member

JAPANESE IS NOT HARD!!!!.......only the person learning( like me ). but i can only speak a few sentences ( if not that ).

so how do you say "i love you". always wanted to know.

6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

Aishiteru or Daisuki

7. shippou

shippou New Member

japanese

its hard for me......
    i don't even wanna translate waht sabre said..........
    for me its abunukai (dangerous i think........)
    oyasumi............

8. psyeudkev

psyeudkev New Member

It helps to understand that Japanese have different words for a similar meaning, but each possess different levels of "polite-ness", built-in (one of the main reasons I love the language!).

And "love" in English, well, you could use it in different sentences and mean different things. In Japanese, uh, using the wrong one at the wrong time could result in, uh, dangerous situations, eheh.

But I think, first of all, you gotta know why you want to learn it. It can get simpler, once you end up over-watching anime...

Here's a good place too (what I found to be, so far), but take it slowly, 53 lessons at last check!: http://genki.yousei-ziploc.com/

Hope it helps everyone :D

9. Hitokiri_Gensai

may i ask what you mean by "Its not hard?" and what this sentence is supposed to say?

10. MrPig

MrPig New Member

Good point ^^

ohisashiburi btw gensai - been a while! my AOL is down and Tokyo net cafe's are expensive! :bleed:

Anyway, yeah its pretty tough. as far as im concerned there are only 2 ways to learn it. The first is living here, and the second is at university. Ive seen college students speaking japanese and i must say its pretty limited.

Really depends on how much you want it.
    I was in your position 1 year ago, but i woke up that morning and said "ah screw it, im gonna do it goddamnit", and now ive spent 6 months living in tokyo, and october onwards im taking my degree in it and havent looked back.

worth some thought though imo, but dont rush :anime:

11. Nakoruru

Nakoruru New Member

Will Hung?!? Whatever.

Anyways, let's say you want to be a...teacher in japan, but you live in the US, many year do you think i have to take, and will it be hard even after i learn the language?

1 person likes this.
  12. MrPig

MrPig New Member

It'll take at least a good few years... again, depends how much you really want it cause its a career and life changing decision to go along with.

Anything is do-able, so dont get put off by the fact it sounds difficult. Plus, the easiest things to learn are the ones you enjoy learning.
    That, and you can sit around watching undubbed anime and say you're studying :p

How old are you? Cause if you're old enough and have a degree in anything, you can probably contact some japanese companies and they'll bring you over, and teach you japanese themselves so long as you'll work for them teaching english. That seems the most efficient way; if you've got the age and degree that is...

Either way, good luck. And kayo - stay on topic. Be aware of how much moderators DONT like to see stickies spammed.

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

i honestly think that there no better way to learn any language then studying it in the country. not only does it present itsself in the "dialect" so to speak (i mean like common language not only what you might say in formal speech.) and it also forces you to learn it. Since to get things and eat, and basicly live you need to be able to communicate theres nothing better then living in it.

14. Leon Striker

Leon Striker New Member

Yokina osewa desu= mind your own business
    otoko no ko= boy
    onna no ko= girl
    sei= gender
    Ichigatsu= January
    Nigatsu= February
    Sangatsu= March
    Shigatsu= April
    Gogatsu= May
    Rokugatsu= June
    Shichigatsu= July
    Hachigatsu= August
    Kugatsu= September
    Juugatsu= October
    Juuichigatsu= November
    Juunigatsu= December

If you need to learn more just ask me!

15. Kaori

Kaori New Member

Learning Japanese is hard. Especially if you only come from a background of English or any one of the latin based languages. But like any other language, you just need to study hard, have discipline, and have perserverence. If you want some stuff to get you started:

www.noated.net/forum

we are currently reforming and rewriting all the lessons, but if you really want to learn, the stuff already there can give you a few steps forward.

Good luck!

16. Sanyu

Sanyu Member

I've been learning Japanese for less than two years, and I swear, during the middle of last year I slacked off and learnt nothing until I picked up my pace and started rising my determination to learn the language. :anime: When I started to learn I looked at the chart of, I think it's 72 hiragana characters and thought " :dizzy2: and I'm gonna learn them HOW?!" But I know them now so all you need is practise and detemination. It may be hard at first, and look hard to write the symbols, but all in all it's rather easy. Just don't give it up when you start :anime:

--Beauty :catgirl:

17. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Japanese is a very simple language: I think that's why english-speakers get confused, because it seems too simple. If you don't treat it like English, and just follow the rules and study vocabulary, throw in constant practice, and you've got the recipe for a Japanese Speaker.

18. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Hate it or like it . . . I think ^^;;

Yes, Japanese is demanding but is worth it in the end. You could try to learn on-line but it’s most likely not as effective, unless you are a really good learner and can pick up another language easily. Taking a Japanese course, in or out of school, would be much better. If anything, most can learn the basics online.

It took me several years to get as far as I am . . . but I’m no where near fluent. You need time, effort and patience. Its certainly worth it!

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

learning any laguage online is very challenging because you dont learn how to pronounce words which leads to confusing speech. honestly, not eve schools teach it that well...i would go with a tutor like i did, after 2 years of studying once a week i can speak it fluently.

but then there is always a better way...and thats immersing yourself in the language. go to Japan, that way to live properly youll have to pick up on it and youll pick up on it much faster...but obviously this isnt a very easy thing to do...

20. Sasha

Sasha New Member

Hello,
    May I ask you for a little help? Could you tell me what does this Japanese phrase mean:Watashi wa donata tame anata-no desu ka? Daremo. Could you translate it to English? I would appreciate any help!
    Thank you!
    Sasha