Love Hina DVDs

Discussion in 'Akamatsu Ken Works' started by Lime, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Lime

Lime Claude ish MY honey ^.^

Now that I FINALLY have a dvd player >) I was thinking of getting Vol. 1 of Love Hina...o.o Since..I have never seen love hina..

Is that a good pick? :D

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Definately! Love Hina has found its way into my good book. Sure, it does use the old girls beating guys up trick, and some episodes are very very filler-like, but it has a unique fill of comedy ranging from very stupid-funny, to some very clever gag setups...

A wonderful comedy anime, with just enough visual and sound quality to make it a good DVD Pick...:)

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

plus shinobu's cute in that lovesick-puppy sorta way.

she is! most famous love hina character in japan!

:D

4. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

^^; Could someone give me a lil background of Love Hina? Obviously haven't seen it ...

5. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I haven't seen the Anime, but I'm currently reading the Manga, and they are funny as hell(even though half the time I'm feeling sorry for keitaro).

Download from http://dna2scans.cjb.net/

Keitaro, poor bastard.

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Can doo...

Love Hina is all about a struggling lovesick student named Urashima Keitaro.

When Keitaro was very young, there was a girl who made a promise with him, sealed with a kiss. "When we grow up, let's go to Tokyo University together and get married!" Unfortunately, soon after, she moved away. Keitaro never forgot her, or the promise.

Keitaro isn't the best student, and it doesn't help that Tokyo U has a high cutline. He constantly fails the entrance exam, but his dream keeps him from giving up.

The real fun begins when his aunt Hina calls him up to look after her dormitory Inn...which is an all-girls establishment built in a hot spring town...

Genre: Comedy

ON Baka's top anime list....If you like classic anime humor with some new twists, give it a go!

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

and shinobu, suu, and kitsune are the best comic releif! *^-^* along with kame too*^-^* need to get the second series...only have a chunk of the opening bit...sigh(tho, that is funny none the less!*^-^*)

8. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

heh...My favorite ep of Love Hina was the one where they did what I like to call the "Keitarou in RPG-land" bit. Clever use of classic console RPG features as gags (e.g., the townspeople always saying the exact same thing).

Hey,does anyone have an opinion on Mutsumi Otohime? Liddo-kun? Keitarou's frequent Hanagata-esque trips to orbit courtesy of Makoto and Naru?

InuYasha - I wonder if they'll ship the Christmas and Spring specials with the regular eps...

9. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

tama-chan is without the best character in the entire series :)

rivalled perhaps byt mecha-tama3!!! :)

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Probably my favorite as well, being an RPG-nutcase...though it's title should be more like "Motoko in RPG-land" since it was her experience...! :p The twin singing Otohimes bringing forth the "great turtle" was too much! :D

11. Ak1t0

Ak1t0 New Member

I cant wait for the 3rd Love Hina DVD. I must see it. My fav ep thus far is the one where Keitaro and Naru go on the same vacation break their glasses and dont realize who the other is. I

12. BitzKrieg

BitzKrieg New Member

Yeah i like those episodes too. The two with the trip are brilliant.

My fav though prob is the one with Motoko having to wear dresses (NOT FOR PERVY REASONS!!!) just cause its really funny. honest....:glazed: :bleed: aww crap

Anyway HOW LONG till they have the whole series on proper dvd (not bootleg) as far as i can see they only have to episode 12 or 13?

13. Sovin Ndore

Sovin Ndore New Member

If you are interested in the dvd's buy the box set off ebay, the dubs are horrible on the american release. I have to say that the quality on the japanese version is awesome.

14. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Is that the box set that comes from Hong Kong or something? The one that just has a english and chinese sub-track right?

If it is, I'm all for those (my Kenshin OVA2 is like that) but some want it for the fact that it's the real american release. God knows that I could have gotten ANY of my anime in the ebay sets, seeing as how I don't watch dubbed at all (w/ the exception of BGC2040 because Nene's voice is cute as all hell, and even then, not by much).

Also, I think a LOT of dubs are bad. Possible exceptions are Eva, BGC2040 (again, Nene), Bebop, SMJ, and a couple others.

Though, I must admit, those sets are really inexpensive and could save people lots of pretty pennies. But, I'm not too interested in getting pennies...pretty boxes look better! :D

15. Sovin Ndore

Sovin Ndore New Member

Yeah, english and chinese subs. It is really the way to buy it too. I believe market price for the series in the US is something like $29.99 per DVD (which is insane). The boxes run something like $80 (including shipping and handling) for the series, the specials, the OVA (which is horrible, but comes bundled), and sometimes the final selection DVD; all in boxsets. If you are interested in Love Hina, it is the way to buy.

16. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

If I remember right, the hong kong release one wasn't as good quality as the american release. I know for SURE the Ranma ½ OVA sets had less quality in that version than the American release.

Like I said though, some people want to save money, some people like to get the expensive box. I place myself in the latter category...besides, I shope www.dvdresearch.com which can save you a lot of money. I bought american BGC2040 for 50 bucks! That's 40 off retail! If you really want to save money though, just download all of them, put them on VCD and watch it that way. That said, it's all preference.

Oh, and "Motoko in RPG-land" was awesome. The best part was "Magical Nurse Pretty Shinobu"!

17. Sovin Ndore

Sovin Ndore New Member

Point well taken. I know that's true for some series, but I haven't heard that about Love Hina. I suggest that if anyone is serious about it they do some research before making any final decisions. As Izzy said, it is really a matter of opinion.

18. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

We have at least one person on the forums who bought the Hong Kong version (or was it Singapoer?) he seemed happy with it, if he feels like it he can elaborate. As long as it has japanese audio and english subitles, I'm pretty ok with it, unless its the HK Excel Saga subs :p

19. YokoburiKinura

It was Singapore - Odex company. Legitimate, but encoded in Region 3. I watched a couple discs of it, and the picture seemed pretty good. Of course, it was completely devoid of extras.