Anime Macross Frontier Aired

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Izzy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Anyone watch this?

It's slotted in between the first Macross and 7. :D

Looks very good so far, and no wierd "shooting music" debacle. Watched the first episode so far, and it looks great!

2. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

The storyline looks good. Humanity...hehe. Personal reason.

Do i need to view any before I watch this? I hate coming in on a series where the series before played a major and necessary part in the next series.

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

No, not really. I mean, it helps if you probably did a little Wiki reading on the Zentreadi/Meltraan race, but other than that...it doesn't seem like it.

Hell, Skull Squardron even makes an appearance, but their particular bend in the story is not part of the actual Macross fleet, but are a squadron of Test Pilots piloting a new version fighter called the VF-25.

So, shorthand...no, you don't. :D In fact, the only reason I know some of Macross is that I can only really stand to watch Macross II: the Movie, and Macross Plus. LOL.

EDIT: They really animate the Veritechs very well this time round. Also, they seem to be more human in movement and in overall distinction and movement. Of course, that all goes down the drain when they have the Super Armor on, but still.

4. Basher

I was like eh?

So it is on my list to watch so I can get a better understanding to what you said Izzy. I know but I can't reference it all.

It's at episode two so it shouldn't be to hard for me to watch.

5. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Skull Squadron is just that. A squadron of the VF-25 model fighter jets. In the original Macross, it was the squad with the most decorated flyers, which the main character in the first one eventually ended up being Commanding Officer of, IIRC.

Zentraadi/Meltraan are a couple of the alien races in the show.

As it seems, that stuff isn't necessarily needed to know anything about the show. I'm sure since it's quite long hiatus, much like Slayers, then some of that information on how they will connect will be fed to us instead of relying on the otaku-ness of the fans to remember.

6. Basher

I watched episode 1.

At the beginning it explains about Zentreadi/Meltraan race.

Sheryl is a real witch but she does put on an act for her fans. The concert looked cool. To bad it can't be like that in RL. I would go all the time.

So going to watch the next episode after how the first ended...

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Sheryl gets really cool after the first episode, actually. :)

8. Basher

I still think she is a witch. Now she is more like....me...i mean she has a different reason why she does what she does.

9. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Saotome's freakin' cool. I like him. Especially how everyone thinks he's pretty. LOL.

10. Basher

That's great. Well he does deserve the "princess" title.

I like the idea behind the story.

I think Ranka's mom was the one who sang that song originally. Did anyone else notice that the Zentreadi seem to activate whenever she sings?

11. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

The Zentreadi race are especially affected by music and "culture". It was the basis for the entirety of Macross (except for Macross Plus). "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" is actually the song that showed the weakness in the Zentraedi race, sung my Lynn Minmei.

This just completely slipped my mind, but watch "Do You Remember Love". It's pretty much a compressed version of Macross, as it fit into a movie-sized chunk.

Sorry though, I'm not all that familiar with Macross myself, so all the finer details are lost to me. I knew the gist of it, from watching excerpts of Macross and Macross II (though II is actually an altnernate universe type thing).

12. Basher

So I noticed something that is part of the anime? Sweet.

It would clarify a lot so I am betting you are right.

So this anime about Ranka trying to be famous? "Princess" fighting Zentreadi? And...and...I got nothing for the half evil *****.

13. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Well, as far as I can tell...Lynn Minmei is completely human. The Zentraedi and Meltraan (the men and woman, respectively) were once weapons belonging to an Emperor Bolza (IIRC). The races were essentially devoid of any sort of culture, being raised only in warfare and pretty much drones to the Empire.

At one point during the Macross saga, three spies from the Empire infiltrated Macross City. They were then introduced to music and culture, of which they became big fans of Minmei, who was singing "My Boyfriend Is A Pilot". They, in turn, infected the other footsoldiers en masse.

The whole "Miss Macross" thing is a new tradition, as that's how Minmei was chosen, kinda like an American Idol sorta thing. Consequently, they also used Minmei as the front of their attacks, showing large holographic shows of her signing accompanied by song. This threw off the attacking Zentraedi, which confused them.

14. Basher

It has such a complicated storyline. Pretty neat. I like this anime so far.

15. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Yeah. It's pretty convoluted, but in sort of a good way. If you want, I can send you "Do You Remember Love", "Macross Zero", and "Macross Plus". All Macross sagas essentially have something about music in them...it's inherent in the "culture" theme.

16. Basher

Could ya?

I can't wait until eppie 5. I should check though.

17. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I'll get it out ASAP.

18. Basher

Thank you.

I have a feeling it will be here before my ink.