Debate Marijuna = Should be legalized or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peachy, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

I know this is bad coming from me of all people to tell you I think a drug should be legalized..but it's just like alcohol. I mean, it's a frickin' plant for god's sake. Same affects really too. I think that if it's illegal, drinking should be too. Discuss this.

2. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

So because Opium and Cocaine are from plants, they should be legalized? If you're such a pot smoker, go somewhere where it's legal. This isn't potheads R us. I don't need Walmart supplying Canabis, or RiteAid giving marijuana perscriptions. Have you ever seen someone who's smoked pot for 20+ years? They're bloody burnt out. They haven't got any memory to speak of, their motor skills are horrible and they slur their speech like a 'tard.

Drinking is also quite unhealthy.. IN EXCESS. Drink a glass a wine a day, and it's healthy whereas smoke a joint a day and you're still messing with your chemical balance. Peachy, if you want to look like a sped in 10-20 years, go for it. That doesn't mean illegal narcotics should be legal.

3. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Actually, i'm not a pot-smoker. Cocaine if you noticed is mixed with multiple things..making it more addictive and really easy to get really messed up on. Marijuana is completly natural. Pick it out of the ground..pretty much it.

I have seen people who's smoked pot 20 years. They're fine because they ain't touching any thing else. The people your probaly see are have been messin' with chronic and Mount Hyde. Now that **** is addictive. Have you seen someone who's drank for 10 years? If they're doing it once in awhile, not much of an affect. I can take a hit once in awhile and not get all messed up and stupid. Marijuana is diffently not as addictive as alcohol is. I say that from experience.

Marijuana is somewhat prescribed in some places..lemme think. Most of the natural stuff is taken out though. T_T

People say "Dude, it'd be bad if everyone is walking around stoned" If they made joints and not..other things and it be legal for people over 21. Doubt it. It'll take at least 3 to get you sprung. Sorta like Smirnoff.

4. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Sorta like Smirnoff? Sorta.. Oh wait. No. Smirnoff is legal. Marijuana is not.

You also neglected to point out that Marijuana is a gateway drug and that almost 73% of everyone who try it/do it move on to bigger, badder things. And you also forgot that all those people doing bigger, badder things want them legalized too. Reasons? None.. Just that sad saying that gets spoken far too often. "If it's used responsibly, why shouldn't it be legal?"

Here's my answer to why: You can't use something that alters your personality, distorts your thoughts and slows your reflexes. How can you even think of considering something like that being legalized.

And yes, it is perscribed for people who've done chemo and are suffering. Also to people with cataracts and glacoma. They don't do much but veg out anyway while trying to get over the pain of their situation. Not the best example.

Yiff yiff? See, you're not really making a point.

Hm.. A truck driver. Lovely. I'm sure that's everyone's aspiration in life.. So, were you pointing this out to strengthen my point or to show your bubbling pride in him? *rolls her eyes*

My point in this debate has been from the beginning that in moderation, what's legal now that's been mentioned isn't going to mess with you mentally. I'm not going to try and illegalize anything. I'm stating why I believe marijuana should be illegal.

And next time you want to try and slam me here, try and make a valid point among the insults. Otherwise, you come off looking like a bitter and obviously undereducated individual. ;3

5. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

That was a very stupid response completly blocking the point of this thread. "It should be" What does the two of them being pretty much the same have anything to do with one of them being illegal and the other not? :p

Yeah yeah..I hear that from every cop I get in the car with. If they were getting it from stores and not from drug dealers much like ciggerates. How would they buy Cocaine and Chrystal Meth to go along with it? Perfect reason for it to be legalized.

I can think of it being legalized because some people actually like that. Including me and several other human beings.

ah..you didn't catch my point. I didn't say anything about them getting messed up on it. Just saying it is prescribed some where. Pretty sure they prescribe cancer medicane at Ride Aide. Practically my whole family had it so I should know.

6. The Prophet

The Prophet New Member

A post composed of nothing but ad hominem attacks. It's not Chance who needs the talking to about valid points. While her delivery was off, she did make a valid point - is your brother the exception or the rule? I would say the former.

I'll be brief - in limited, moderate usage, marijuana is not inherently harmful. Legalization could lend to the governments coffers via tax use, and it is possible that with the drug dealers not having a monopoly on it, the problem of easy exposure to harder drugs is lessened.

The problem is that it can, in heavy use, heavily limit what a person can (or rather wants) to do. In heavy use it can lead to people vegging out all day, indulging in the munchies. As an occaissional "treat" it does not have the same effect.

So, it's really quite a mixed bag. For people with good impulse control, it, like alcohol, is perfectly fine. For those without impulse control, like alcohol, fast food or gambling it is not something good for them.

Of course, if they really want the weed, they'll get it one way or another.

So I say legalize it so the government can make money off of them. Suck 'em dry, boys!:cool:

1 person likes this.
  7. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I'm not really so sure of that. I've recently been to Amsterdam where cannabis is legal. Now the Dutch have very strict controls on the use of cannabis and weed despite it being legal. Such as that you can only smoke it in cafebars. If you smoke it in a regualr bar or on the street you'll be arrested. Also you're only allowed to carry a certain amount of the stuff with you at one time. Something funny that i found out is that the people who are suppling the cafeshop's are acutally breaking this rule :p.

But my point is that even in this controlled enviroment there were still a lot of people tring to puch harder drugs. I walked through the Red Light District and i was offered cocaine and ecstasy about evey 10 yards. While legalizing will take it out of the control of gangs and bring some return for teh government in the form of tax, i don't think that it will stop hard line drugs being around. Infact i think the cops were turning a blind eye in Amsterdam, which is something that shouldn't be happening, then again i don't think the police have much power in the Red Light District, espesally during the night.

Personally i beleive that with the proper controls like in Amsterdam then i think that it should be legal, it does less damage to you than alcohol. But it should only be legal if people and government can keep it under control, i would seriously not want to walk down the street and see a bunch of stoners lying around.

8. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

That's nice but the fact it's in amsterdam and in the Red Light District is something completely different. Although it is in a controlled environment amsterdam or can be considered a problem area. Now refresh me since I don't live there,but isn't the Red Light district one of the more lude places of Amsterdam?

9. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Heh, i guess i choose the worst possible place of the city as part of my arguemnt. But even still, in the middle of the afternoon you will still get people offering you this crap on the main street, not just the RLD. Waht i'm tring to say is that even of its leagalized somewhere that doesn't mean that the other drugs are going to diesappear.
    The reason i choose amsterdam as an example is cause its the only place i know that has it legal and its the only place i've been to. Weather or not its a problem city is something i don't know, since i've never seen an trouble while i was there. Although a few dutch people i know don't really like the place.

10. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

Legal. It can be used as medicine. The United States has no legal right to deny people of medicine that can help with the pain of cancer ( Radiation sickness) and with AIDS wasting. Pot is a very minor. In my eyes alcohol is FAR FAR more dangerouse than pot. Alcohol is only Legal because of prohibition ( Talking about US ) because they made it illegal because of the effects ( mainly women protesting) then come to find out, people started making it. Which was lethal in some cases. Bootlegging because a popular trend for the Maffia. They made profit from it. Organized Crime.. yadda yadda. Pot is no differnt.

If you were to legalize pot it would cut way down the income to the black market ( or in simple terms: People who go and smuggle it into the country and sell.lol) It would take people away from other drugs that they could come into contact with while at the local drug dealers house. I am not saying because pot is legal people will not want to do other drugs. This would however help in reducing the chance of someone coming into contact with a substance.

There could be a huge profit made from pot. If, however, marijuana were taxed similarly to alcohol or tobacco, it might generate as much as $6.2 billion annually. It would save 7.7 Billion dollars from people who are incarcerated each year for marijuana offences. On this subject, do you think it is the same that someone can be smoking pot and can be put in jail for up to 10 years. For smoking a plant that comes out of the ground.

Pot does have its negative sides.
    Driving. This is not a smart idea. Maybe with future laws and study of marijuana, they can come up with a device that can tell if someone is actually High at the time of driving. Not that they have it in there system which could be be from 2 weeks ago.

Lungs- This should really not be a concern because it is the persons choice and if things are illegal because they hurt your lungs then what about good old cigs? Marijuana is get because it can be used in many differnt ways, eating, vapors..ect.

Everyone will do it,it will be insane! Human Society will fail! ( this is just for the people who actually have no facts on why it should be illegal but just don't like it so they say boo.)

____

I could go on, but it is late.

I will end with this.
    All in all, pot is really harmless. Even if it is under federal law illegal, I belive it should be legal to those who are suffering and could use the help. I could care less if they say it is illegal to the public because the public isn't listing. Pot is a lot more easy to obtain than alcohol ( If your underage) So the whole War on Drugs is kinnda a waste. I can see were saying drugs are bad is right. some drugs are not good. It is a persons choice to do them, as long as they are not hurting another person.

11. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

12. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Just for future reference...

well actually America is potheads are us. Look at John Lennon and every other celebrity or hero to our communities. I'm just speaking out of opinion but how could you BE a president or higher up official and not smoke some serious good junk or take xanax or something for stress? I mean I haven't met a person who hasn't been offered it or at least smelled it driving down the road. Everyone and their mom smokes it, welllllll most of the time. Forgive me if I insult some but don't play stupid! Plus you know you totally walk outside and catch cancer every day so if your going to say it's bad for your health then cross out everything we eat and everything we drink. Computers are bad for people's weight and brain because of the stupidity and lack of life. Let's go beat them all up with a stick because some people disagree with the lifestyle the people have when they play with them. The epidemic of cancer is amazing but either way most of us are screwed and nothing in the world can stop it. Why worry now?

I'm not saying i'm not a little brain-dead due to use but if you do ANYTHING too much it will will have some affect on you. Stop drinking coke or something and you'll get a headache, drink too much - you pee alot, eat too much - you gain weight, watch to much politics and you'll get a stomach ulcer, have too much /cough and you'll get cyst in your ovaries! We're all frigging dying from chemicals and bad enviromental hazards. Let's die singing "Let's get toogetther and feel alright!" Know what i'm saying? Just let people suffer in their own way. Just like you know Ron Paul says and all. He should have WON DARNIT!

Hurray for legalization of marijuana! More munchies and giggling for america and less getting drunk and waking up next your overweight next door neighbor. I think I read somewhere about someone dying from actual marijuana use and they died from cottonmouth or something. They smoked two times their body weight and were so high they didn't realize their throat was so dry they couldn't breath and didn't drink water. That's crazy, isn't it? But not as crazy as someone putting a webster dictionary in the backseat of the car and it hitting them in the head when they got in a wreck and breaking their neck.

I think everyone should get a good puff sometimes. Like the people debating in this friend for instance..If your going to get too uptight about a debate, just grab a J and you'll aight'. Me promise. Well debate ended. It's pretty much legal anyway. No one cares anymore. We'll do it anyway!

Edit: By the way this was a whooolle lot easier writing under the influence of marijuana and not alcohol. Just throwing that in there..

13. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

14. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

I think chemicals added with pot can kill you...like poison and junk. Bettter reason for it be illegal so if it is manufactured to kill then at least we can sue someone!

The ending of that video made me laugh. I have NO idea why!

15. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Yes. I have. My brother. Who has also done heroin, and still constantly smokes cigarettes. Not burnt out at all.

Generializations FTW? I suppose you think all Muslims are terrorists, too?

1 person likes this.