Video Games Marvel vs Capcom 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by wertitis, May 31, 2011.

1. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Marvel plus Capcom equals Win. Anyone play? Preferred system? What teams do you play? Strats, combos and general Marvel vs Capcom 3 discussion.

~W

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Love the game and played it to death for the first few weeks. However, I can't profess to be dedicated enough to move beyond the simpler launch and team assault aerial combos.

Teams are combinations of the handful of characters I enjoy playing, thus 3 of of the following: Hulk, Magneto, Sentinel, Shuma-Gorath, Super Skrull, Wolverine, Akuma, Chun Li, Morrigan and Zero.

I'm an Xbox player, albeit an amateur one. Players are free to hit me up if they love an easy win. :shy:

3. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

I swear to Cloud im not trollin here, so keep that in mind.

This game was an utter disappointment to me. To wait so long, and pay so much for the amount of content capcom came up with was frankly humiliating.

The fight stick is great and the character art, models and playstyle is fun. I had lots of fun with Deadpool and Dante. But after playing online only to get infinited up the bum, and to pay 60$ for 3 gigs worth of content puts any current gen system to waste. We're talking less than 10% of the capacity a bluray can hold and less than half of a DL DVD.

No story mode. Yes, I'm one of those crazy people that wants a story mode with a fighting game. This is 2011. Makers should be done making simple fighting engines and leave it at that. And if you're gonna draw half ass endings, at least render them in HD.

No extras whatsoever.

The difficulty curve is insane. You either play it or you dont. And its not a game that really seems to welcome casual players.

Sorry everyone. Ill shushwah nao

4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

if there only wasn't an X-factor in the game. I'd take it more seriously, to demonstrate a friend, how messed up it is, I only had left wolverine in my team, half life, and 2 special bars...

he had, almost full life, and hulk, super skrull, and dante...
    I beat him before the X-factor ran out...

messed up stuff

5. wertitis

Interesting points, so I suppose I'll provide some counter points.

First, I didn't think the learning curve was that steep. I put in a few hours a week and I'm competitive enough. It's actually quite fun, considering the last fighting game I played was Guilty Gear XXR years back. The hardest part seems to be learning how to air combo, knowing when to block, and calling in your assists at the right time.

$60 bucks for a few gigs had me confused for a bit, Kaiyon. Perhaps it's because I'm an old(er) fart now, and I remember spending $60 on games that were less than a megabyte large. Frankly, the smaller the size of the game, whilst maintaining the complexity of the design, speaks to the elegance of the programming. But I've got a sneaking suspicion that's not what you're concerned with. Yes, I suppose they could have put a little more content, such as better cut scenes and perhaps a decent story mode, but with the way fighting games are these days, people play them for Arcade portability and multiplayer at home. A single player story in a fighting game hasn't been seen since the last blue moon.

That said, making us fork over another $10 to get the full roster was a bogus move. They should not have done that. It's not like they won't make a fat payroll off this installment anyway. Jill and Shuma were just there to make an extra dollar.

The character list (potential 50) is much more abbreviated than MvC2, but it appears that the balance is much more improved. Any character you pick (even Hsien-Ko) can be a viable threat, which is refreshing. If you add too many characters, balancing the game becomes difficult, and people find ways to spam infinites with relative ease. I think 50 is a good size, esp compared to SF2 Turbo, which only had like 12.

I feel that X-factor was a good addition, though it took me a while to warm up to it to realize it's full potential. A decent Wolverine will annihilate any new player, with or without X-Factor. Still, X-Factor forces the players to play their A-Game throughout the match. Once someone pop's X-factor, one of several things are going down. Either they're on their last toon and they need a little "go-juice" for a comeback, or they're punishing another player for calling out a bad assist. You have to think on your toes, and pop it when appropriate. X-Factor allows lower level players (who know how to use it) to remain threatening even up through the end. X-Factor can be used to delay into a second hyper, a block or any of a halfdozen other uses, so if Wolverine has you in an air combo, you can X-Factor into a block to deny his hyper and attempt to punish. I've also noticed that when someone Pop's X-Factor the game changes entirely. One side gets ultra defensive, playing a Zoning game to burn down the X-Factor clock while the other side gets much more aggressive, poking and prodding at that defense to find a chink in the armor to punish. Right in the middle of the game, the entire fight sways crazily and that keeps things exciting.

Sent X factor when the game first released was way broken. He stopped taking damage and turned into a powerhouse. Several things have since been patched, with more tweaks coming to help balance the game out and flesh out its feel. What I like about MvC3 is that a novice player equipped with basic combos can be a threat if the pro player doesn't handle the situation properly. X-factor stings everyone, and at the same time, gives everyone a boost when they need it. It's different, but I enjoy that new wrinkle they added to the MvC universe.

My current team is Wesker, Dante, Sent, which seems to be regarded as a newb team. I find that their assists and hypers compliment each other well and I can adapt to changes in the situation much more easily. I have two toons for zoning and rush down, as the situation calls for it, at any time. My buddies play teams with Wesker, Sent, Magneto, Taskmaster, Zero, Spencer, Wolverine, Hulk, Ammy and even Modok here and there. Those guys are heavy players, and it's fun to watch them butt heads in high level matches.

The Basics are extremely important. Everytime I watch tourney play, you always see Bnbs (bread and butter) combos, which speaks to learning how to perform effective combos. Low level combos do a ton of damage and they're comparatively safe. No need to get fancy, just do the basics, and a few magic combos here and there and you can be threatening too.

~W

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

From what I understand about the game's design, each subsequent hit of a combo is taxed, so that the longer you combo, the less damage you're outputting. Of course, that isn't an issue if you go infinite.

As a noob, I use the X-Factor for what I imagine its original design intent was - to get a little extra juice when I'm on the ropes and need to desperately recover. The fact that it can be used to great offensive effect just adds another layer of usefulness.

Wesker/Dante/Sentinel team, eh? I think you named the last three characters I like to face all at once... :(

7. wertitis

Combos are actually quite important. By extending combos you keep your opponent tied up. They're helpless while you're doing damage, even if each hit gets progressively weaker. The longer you hold the combo, the more overall damage you do. If you can sustain a multihit aircombo for a few cycles, that's all free damage you can deal without fear of reprisal.

I'm not 100% on the damage scaling with each hit, but I do know that the longer your combo goes, the faster they recover from their hit stun, which makes infinites very, very difficult to do. After enough hits, they'll just block (provided they're holding it) and your combo is forced to an end.

And as for X-Factor, that's primarily how I use it as well. I'm still pretty noobish myself. However, I find that if I've got the other guy, and one of his assists caught up in my combo, breaking out an X-Factor to get the damage boost to kill two characters for the price of one is a smart way to use it, and usually guarantees a victory. After they lose their assist, people usually tilt as they feel the pressure, making more mistakes and leaving more openings for a focused counter attack. It's largely about 'feel'. I'm at a stage where I know what I want to do, but the hard part is getting my fingers to perform said action. I see the openings but mess up the approach and get busted for it. However, when you do get through, and you take the other guy down, it's a nice warm and fuzzy feeling.

I like Wesker because he's got good zoning and the teleport makes for simple crossups when used with an assist. Dante is my DPS character, and admittedly my weakest. His combos are more lengthly and run a higher risk of failing, however he has multiple ways to attack a target which makes him good for slipping past defenses. His assist, Jam Session, is good for clearing the skies directly above my onscreen character and giving me a chance to put some distance between me and my target when playing a zoning game. Sentinel is my anchor, and his higher than average health and absurd damage (esp with X Factor) can level a playing field. Plus he's fun to play. His assist, sentinel force, is rock solid. It's great for zoning game, or for providing cover for one of your toons who wants to dash in close, like my Dante. Sent's assist also makes for a solid birdcage with Wesker's forward heavy attack, his pistol. Melee characters like Hulk have a tough time getting around three Sent drones and the Samurai Edge Handgun at the same time.

My team needs ALOT of polish, but I have a good time with them.

~W