Square Enix Metal Gear Fantasy XIII

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BakaMattSu, Jan 4, 2010.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

After reading how linear and movie dominated the latest Final Fantasy is, I must say the little interest I had remaining in the series is dampening.

A very evocative review:
    http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/12/final-fantasy-xiii-preview-2/

Some choice quotes from the above:
    Poopie.

2. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

And us hardcore FF fans will still go and waste our money for the sake of fandom. I've been waiting for this forever and I knew they've dropped the old ways of the original final fantasy games but that was made apparent in 10.

=[ poopie indeed. I wish it would go back to the good ole' stories and emotional main characters. Oh well. Back to playing Infinite Undiscovery.

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yeah, I remember my personal early criticism of FFX was how I felt many zones had a cattle prod in my back. The map almost forcibly urged you onward with a giant flashing arrow point.

But while it was possible to simply walk the straight line, X at least offered populated cities and areas to explore. Much of what I'm reading about XIII suggests there is nothing but get from scene-to-scene and point-to-point. Heck, someone even mentioned there isn't an honest to goodness shop in the game - only the "online shopping setup" at save points.

I once considered myself among the Square hardcore, but they've since gone in directions that don't really enamor me. FFIX was an opus of everything done right but things have just gone downhill since. I believe it's no coincidence that Hironobu Sakaguchi jumped ship shortly after to form his own company.

Now here's hoping his upcoming "large scale project" announced on the MW website is the company's breakthrough. Blue Dragon was old school nostalgic, but a little too old school when it came to its light story. Lost Odyssey was great even with the few blemishes it had, but horrendously underrated. And "Cry On" was canceled.