Misleading Number

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Novus, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Novus

Novus Gone

Members: 3,959
    So read the site statistics.
    A lot of these members, as a short trip through the Members List proved, have not been "active" in years. Many have not, in nearly two years in some cases, seen fit to post so much as three messages.
    My suggestion is killination of these unsavoury rogues.
    That's all I have to say.

2. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

We now almost have 4000 members, and if you see the "Who's online" section, you will see that the biggest amount of members who were online at one time is only 116.. and most of them were guests even! :p

I tried PMing & emailing thoes who have 0 posts, but didn't get much replies and I needed help since I can't do that by myself. But I guess it wasn't (and still??) a big issue.

3. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Why don't you just pull the plug on the site while you're at it.

4. Novus

Novus Gone

I fail to see the connection between a cleanup and a shut down.

5. Dante

Dante New Member

Because there are actually people who make use of the site.

Anyways... I agree with Novus. They have no purpose here. It's like letting the garbage bags just pile up without letting the trashmen come and take it away, man. It's absurd when one looks at the member list and sees countless names that haven't even been heard of by anyone before, let alone having posted at all. If they want to be here so bad, then they can re-register and actually post. That's just my two cents.

6. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

I agree with Amon Sena. If someone has 0 posts, and they registered more than like, 4 months ago, they should have their accounts deleted.

7. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

All those taken usernames could be used by members signing up with the intention to post. I think it would be a good idea.

8. Dante

Dante New Member

I was just talking to various members about this, interesting statistics...

We have approximately 2,800 members that have not posted since January 1st of this year, that's almost five months.

Approximately 2,100 of these members have less than 20 posts under their belt.

Approximately 1770 of these members have not posted since June 1st of 2003.

Approximately 1080 of these members have not made a single post since having become a member.

Approximately 510 of these members that have not made a single post have been here since earlier than June 1st of 2003.

These numbers, easily, makes up half of the would-be community of this place.

The entirety of M2A is made up of people who come here, register, post once or twice, then leave.

If these people wanted to be here so badly, they would post.

Yes, things come up, I'll admit that. There was a period I was gone for three or so months and came back, with a different name.

But.. come on. Not a single post in over half a year. Almost a year.

I reiterate my point of saying a purge of these so-called "members". Those who want to rejoin, let them, maybe they'll post for once. Otherwise, they serve no purpose and they can do every thing they are already doing, if they're even viewing the site, just as easily as being a Guest.

9. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I also think that it could be a good idea to free up some usernames. After all, if nobody wants them, and the original users want them back, they can register them.

10. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

How bout if we had a rule that after 6 mo. and you have not posted over so many (like about 200) then your account will be deleted unless you give absence of leave?

there seems to be a real problem with people like that and they really dont seem to care either that they are taking away alot of the good names...

11. Novus

Novus Gone

I like the sound of that, personally. But I think 200 is a little high. I'd say more like 100.
    We also have some members (myself included) who have older accounts that are no longer in use. It would be nice to have those removed.

12. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I think it would be a good thing too but don't we care about the numbers? 4,000 people signed up to M2A. Go M2A. I actually would like to see those files deleted plus maybe something done about getting a name. I wanted Basher and it said it was used. Well there isn't a Basher here. Does it have to do with Java too? That is all I could think of.

13. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Hey! Speak for yourselves...

Well, remember that M2A is a community.

We're all part of it. I hadn't posted in a long time, but I don't think that because i've been busy with my fulltime job, or trying to overcome a depression etc etc, would give some people the right to remove me. After all, I have good friends in here, like SaberJ2X, Bakamattsu (um ok lemme remember one non-mod :D ), Novus, and some other guys who brought me their support (but i don't remember their nicknames right now *shame* :( I have a terrible memory, sorry :( ). Anyway, you get my point.

Because, after a long journey in the battlefield, don't you guys want to be hugged and be welcomed back by the ones you love?

On the other hand, I _DO_ agree with removing members with ZERO posts after 4 or 5 months. (Hey, maybe they forgot their password! Let's email them to check out if they really want to post :p )

But yes, like an e-mail trying to confirm if the user still lives, etc.

(Which brings the question. What should we do about members who may have *gasp* died in an accident? :( Man, that's the problem with online communities. Hmmm reminds me of the tale of the soldier who was lost, and 5 years later he comes back and sees his wife married to another guy - eep... ANYWAY *ahem* sorry for my crazy imagination - i think i'll post about this on another thread)

If we get no reply (or bounces), then wait a week, and try again. If still no reply, try one last time after a day. If so, then delete the user.

But the point here is that users who post at least once a month, means that they do care about the site (hint hint :D ), don't you think?

And yes, I still remember the original "Basher" from 2 years ago. Or was it 1 year? :D

Anyway, unused users ( huh? :rolleyes: ) don't waste much space on the hard drive. What's really expensive are the ones who DO post. So i think the argument about "wasted space" is actually very weak.

What I agree with, is that members who haven't posted in about 6 months or a year, would be emailed to check if they still want to be members of M2A (pardon me, boards.jp ). Specially if their nickname is very popular.

OK, that's My 2 cents :)

1 person likes this.
  14. Dante

Dante New Member

http://www.boards.jp/forums/showpost.php?p=170969&postcount=8

As I pointed out there, the problem is not people only posting once or twice every month... there were almost three THOUSAND users who had not posted a single thing in one third of a year (and that was two, three months ago). About two thousand had less than twenty posts, and just under two thousand had not even posted in almost a year. A thousand of our members never even made a single post. 500 have been here for a year, and have no made a single post.

And, I don't think that "taking up space" is particularly the main problem. It's that we have three thousand worthless people here giving the illusion of a grand community that we could make our own bloody country out of, but really only a tenth, if even that, of these people are posting consistently.

Not to mention, as brought up numerous times, Lucifer only knows what nicks people want of those that decide to register and sit tight for over a year and not do a damn thing.

I, really, see no reason to give members an extra month to post, just once a month, just so they can maintain a useless membership here. If they can't even stand to post at a reasonable rate, there's not really any point to joining a forum. Hell, Lucifer only knows if half these people made an account just to post one snot-nosed remark and leave, never to be heard from again.

If they want to stay so bad, then they can come back and re-register.

And, Hell.. what's to stop them from replying "Yes" to your precious e-mail, posting once or twice, and waiting another half a year until you decide you want to e-mail them again?

*throws a couple of pennies into the crowd*

There. There's MY two cents.

[EDIT] A recent update shows these statistics:

Current Members: 4,619

Current Members Who Have Not Posted Since 2/01/04: 2310

Current Members Who Have Not Posted Since 2/01/04 With Less Than 10 Posts Total: 1650

Half of our members have been inactive for half a year...
    A third of our members have been inactive for half a year, with less than 10 posts.

In addition, as a second note, I just recently found out -

Current Members Who's Last Post Is No Later Than 8/5/03: 2100

Oh... yes... very important to our community, indeed. [/EDIT]

15. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I would hesitate to delete any accounts that had not posted in a while but had at some point posted. Some of my friends haven't posted in a while but I keep hoping they'll be back.

I'd be all for deleting accounts with no posts. BUT I would say that we should never delete accounts with more than a certain number of posts, ven if they haven't posted in a while. People like Lady Aoi (happy birthday to her btw) are a part of the site. Even if they aren't here, they are a part of the site's history anyway..

But delete all those who've never posted I say!

16. Spiggy

Spiggy Freak of Nature

The accounts with no posts should definately go. It may be nice to say "w00t! we have xxxx members! huzzah!" but that's not a good reason. If a forum has a lot of members that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good site; what makes it good are the active members that contribute and take an interest in what's going on. Hence the reason that Boards.jp is so successful ;)

Why not have a period of time for accounts, after which if you haven't posted in said time, then the account is deleted? Say, a year?

I agree with Amon - if they want to come back so bad then just re-register. It's not that big a deal.

17. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

How 'bout these guidlines?

1 year
    under 100 posts
    = account deleted

This really should be considered because even when i first signed up some of the names i wanted to grab where already taken. Even when we click on the members list when we first look on that page half of those people have never posted.

18. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I agree with MO. If they haven't posted, ever, they obviously don't care about the forum community. There's one "member" here who PMed me several times and left, never posting, never doing anything more than put me on their buddy list, and never even chose an avatar. I say, if they haven't made a post after being here for... say, 1 month, delete their account.

But as for those venerable members who are no longer with us, (ie. Lady Aoi, among others) should retain their membership. If the admins deleted their accounts after they had made some 100-3000 posts, what would happen to their contributions to the community? I admit that I often forage through the old threads, not always to find ones to revive, but to see what was discussed before I joined.

Finally, I suggest the deletion of accounts who have accumulated, say... -100 points of bad karma or lower. There are people who don't care about their karma level, good or bad. I think this lower limit would give them some incentive to either smarten up or ship out. I think many would agree with me when I say we don't need their presence.

I think, that even if a person has only made one post, and that being 2 or even three years ago, that they had something to contribute. Perhaps you could remove their accounts and post their names in a kind of memorial?

I just thought I would give my opinion. *Follows Amon... er, Dante's lead by throwing two pennies into the crowd* I hope this post has been useful, and I bid you good night.

19. Dante

Dante New Member

I could be wrong about this (as in misinterpretting(sp)), though if it's the deletion of posts you're worried about, I don't believe deleting accounts affects that. (I can still find posts about from my last membership, back when I was ~ Zack ~ and had the account deleted).

Maybe if there's some more... temporary solution/deletion process for the older members that became more well-known through the years and such, just incase they do come back or some such... though I don't think that those who have only bothered to post once or twice are even remotely worth enough of some kind of "memorial" and should be treated just the same was those who never posted. They obviously have no interest if they left after posting once, and deleting the account won't get rid of the "precious post". The whole "memorial" such is something more appropriate for the former type of crowd.

Once again... just my two cents.

20. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Too high, I think, for the time being.

Pruned out members that have not logged in for a year, and have less than 10 posts. We dropped 1845 members.