Computers My laptop is getting very heated..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Zanza, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Lately my laptop's heat increases.. right now its very warm..

1. I want to know the temprature of it and if it is bad or very bad (I think I am sure that it is a bad thing that it is very warm o.0).

2. Any specific fans? And how are they attached.. I never saw any and I don't think I know how to use them.. unless they are thoes of plug-and-use ones.

I appreciate your time and thoughts..

1 person likes this.
  2. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

if u keep it on for too long it will get warm. and i think there are fans i dunno

3. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I suggest that you completly shut off your computer for awhile. I reccomend about at least 3 hours. The ocmputer in my house stays on for about 15 hours a day, and rests about 9 hours in complete off. I reccomend you leave yours off for about the same. Even if you feel the computer cool, it may still be warm in some places inside the computer.

For most laptops, the fans are on the side. But a few have them on both sides, and back, OR just back. I also suggest that you don't leave the laptop in use on the same place for that long. The surface the laptop is on will tend to get warm by the computer's warmth, making it even easier for the computer to get hot.

Usually warm computers mean overheating, but i'm not so sure, I'd have to take a good look at it myself.

Hope all that helps, that's as much theory as I can come up with....

-Seishin

1 person likes this.
  4. Hacker

Hacker ~Richie Rich~

*gets thermometer* where do i stick it in?! lol, i agree with them, i think you have left it on too long.

wow Seishin, do you have like a timer in your head?! just the other day i found out i was only cutting my computer half way off :shy3:

1 person likes this.
  5. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Reason why I wasn't on for a whole week last week was because my PSU went on my computer... and I'm pretty sure it's because it's overheated (and this was with 4 internal fans!). I do leave my computer on some 80-90 hours a week (excluding overnight downloading).

Best to let it rest for a bit, if the problem persist it's strongly recommended that you get it checked out pronto.

- Shen

1 person likes this.
  6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I suggest you get the cpu fans cleaned... either in a pc shop or DIY and buy 1 or 2 compressed air cans and clean the intake and exhaust parts

7. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Holy Sh**! That IS a bit long. But you're lucky to have 4 Internal Fans. Mine only has One. But then again, I opened the CPU up from both it's sides, letting it breathe a bit more. My computer is kind of old, so I wasn't pleased to see that in such a big CPU, only about 1/2 of it is being used, but on the good side, less overheating. That doesn't apply for my laptop though, and when I use Internet on the PSP, it will overheat in less than one hour: PSP uses battery power (obviously), Wireless LAN also uses power, the UMD Disk has to constantly load, meaning it has to spin, meaning even more battery.

I tried overheating one of my really old computers a while back. It took it about 78 hours, from then, you'll hear a "crackle", followed by a "hssss", then a short "boom". After that, you figure out you need a new computer :D.

-Seishin

8. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Nothing really to say, but I leave mine on 24/7. I suppose I should switch it into hibernate when I go to work or sleep, but otherwise it's never off. As far as I know, it's fine for temperature. Let me just check for no reason...

Hehe, it's quite cool. Maybe a degree or two above room temperature, I can barely notice with my hand. :)

And this is after two weeks without any time powered off or even hibernating. Granted, the air between my computer and my wall is a bit warmer, but that's not as important, is it?

Looks like I've got 2 fans. Now to slide the side plate back on...

I hate to brag, but it looks like I made a really good choice when I bought this computer. :)

So yeah, clean the fans. My old computer got really hot once, and I opened it up to find a GIANT dust ball sitting in the middle and enough dust to make the whole thing look grey. Cleaned it all up, and it was fine.

EDIT: Best not keep it on your lap, regardless. I dunno abou women, but it can cause sterility in men. :eek:

9. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

how long has it been since you cleaned out your laptop if at all? cuz if its been a while your lappy is probably reeeeally dirty and dusty and its clogging everything up =P that would explain why it over heats...thats what was wrong with my lappy when it got uber hot...took me a while to figure that out heh heh... :eek: ...so yeh take it appart and get sum compressed air and blow out all the dirt and dust in your comp or if your like me and dont know jack about computers get someone else to do it haha

10. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php - Use this to see what temperatures your HDs, CPU has. Although, when you download that program and see what temps your computer has, it often makes you paranoid, and wanting to get more fans. I know I did!

There are very few fans out there that are plug and play for the laptop, but i found this. Sadly this "beast" is no longer buyable.

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/TT-NB-801.htm

Good luck. Or just use the best and cheapest cooling device. Open your window, and place your laptop next to it. Let the cool night wind to the job.

1 person likes this.
  11. Zanza

Staff Member

What cool night wind? :p I practically live in a desert! xD

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate your feedback.. especially the let the laptop rest part.. it rests more than being used.. maximum time to be used is 16 hours, never been longer than that.. but usually from 10-12 hours and the rest of the day its in a tottal shutdown.

uhh, Teddz, where should I go exactly in this page?? o.0

12. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I use a cheap cooling plate that I bought at ex-work for 20 bucks. It was slightly more expensive because it had USB2 ports also...so it doubles as my "dry dock".

Works wonders. Especially since my laptop's on...24/7. The only thing is...I recommend either buying something that has 4 rubber stoppers on it...or putting on the extra...until I did, my laptop would slide around a lot, since the front area was only plastic. And plastic on plastic....doesn't work very well to stop friction.

13. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

One thing. Have you checked for spyware? Those thingies rise the cpu usage level to 100%. That might be the source of the heating.

14. Zanza

Staff Member

I run my Ad-Aware SE Personal every week :)

15. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Zanza where ever you bought your computer talk to them. Or go to a computer store. Fan's are a little tricky to put in. I didn't put mine in though. My comp runs 24/7 but I have two fans and it is cool but my temp is currentily at 98.2 degrees F but I am DLing right now. And burning. It is dusty in there. Hmmm.