Art New Art + Meaikoh's Requests

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Meaikoh, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Heyo everyone!

I've posted so much new art at http://www.meaikoh.deviantart.com!

I think I'm really improving and would really like to get a lot of feedback, especially on the following:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/25737644/ <-- Because I'm actively working on trying to make backgrounds for my art.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/25740746/ <-- Because I'm proud of it and would like criticism.

Oh..and theses one, because they're of me and I think I'm cute (but not really. I mean, I don't really think I'm cute. They are actual pictures of me) :

http://www.deviantart.com/view/24536978/

http://www.deviantart.com/view/24602397/

Also...I hope that nobody minds if I create this thread for those who would like to specifically request banners from me. I do quite a bit of graphics design and feel that I can now offer this service with full confidence.

I don't check that many other threads lately, but I will watch this one vigilantly.

Take care,
    Meaikoh

1 person likes this.
  2. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Your art definitely keeps getting better and better. :D Both of your pictures have been added to my favorites. And go ahead people, ask her to make signatures. She made mine! Isn't she awesome? :D

3. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

you have a very unique art style, youre pencil strokes seem very graceful and light with great detail...none of that "IM GOING TO CARVE THIS LEAD INTO MY PAPER AND THROUGH MY DESK" stuff ^_^ I especially like the second one of the face. perdy eyes *.* the only thing i have to say about that one is that the face seems a little slanted...but maybe thats just the angle you intended? either way its good stuff! keep it up!!:D

also those are nice pictures of you...and admit it, you DO think you're cute!:p

4. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Wow, good work! I'm trying to get my drawing abilities to about that level, and I think I've found a way..... Muahahahahahha!

Is it just me, or does the second picture look a lot like KaYasha in those pictures where he's wearing a hat?

5. Meaikoh

^^; Thank you...The face is a little slanted. It's kind of a 'hmm, on the other hand' expression, although I guess I should have slanted it more for that effect.

:p My Pencil strokes have never been called graceful before.

Edit:

Thanks, Eternal Blaze...and your signature is totally creeping me out ;). I have a thing for hats like that lately, as you can see from the second picture of me, but this was just some random guy...Can't say that it looks like KaYasha from the pictures I've seen, but I've never seen him in his hat.

A quick question though - for the first one, do you think that his face is a little off?

6. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Yes, on both the first one and the second one the heads and features seem to tilt off to the right.

With regards to your first one (Ghetto Guy for lack of a better name) be sure to keep point of view and proportions in mind when drawing the graffiti. The CD player and headphones on the pillar are being viewed at an angle so their perspective is going to be a little skewed. The same thing goes for the tag on the ground. It looks like we're looking down upon it directly instead of at an angle like we should. It doesn't match the perspective of the shadows being cast by the pillar.

I'm guilty of this myself but don't be afraid to use a straight edge to place your lines like the pillar or the edge of the wall in the background. A concrete pillar doesn't have razor edges so adding little imperfections here and there along its length would give it a little character. The concrete on the ground and the walls behind would have similar details mixed into it. Perhaps adding the odd crack or a stain might give the ground a more genuine feel, perhaps some scattered sheets of paper or a bottle. The wall could have some of its paint peeling or maybe some plaster crumbling away revealing brick underneath.

The Devil's in the details.

In both images the forms and figures are good, which I know can be difficult to pull off. Like I stated above their heads seem to be tilting to the right a little bit, but that's probably just as a result of the way you hold your pencil as you sketch. A little trick I use to double check my work is to turn the paper over and hold it up to the light. This reverses the image and helps me to see errors in perspective, figure and shape that I don't normally see when the picture isn't reversed.

I like the tag on the ground and that rogue language in the 'spokes' of the wheel looks interesting. Where have I seen that Latin before...

I like your use of shadows in the fedora sketch, but you could always turn up the contrast a bit. Darken your shadows a little more, deepening them, and highlight the areas where the light would be the strongest upon his face. Where'd the shadows upon his clothes go? The folds of his clothes could use a little more work as well. Like I said- Devil's in the Details. Sometimes exaggerating details like folds and such help lend to the sketch’s overall appeal. Take a few pointers from real life pictures online on how folds naturally seem to fall. I’m still learning them myself.

I like both of these works the way they are, this advice is just for future reference. Frankly I think the ghetto pic is better than the fedora one- it's more interesting. There's more to take in. Just don't be afraid to deepen your shadows and adjust your perspectives.

~W

7. Meaikoh

For wertitis:

Your tips seem excellent, and I'll definitely have to use them. As far as the folds go, I would normally pay more attention to them. I'm guilty of being lazy with this picture - I only put in the shirt and tie at all because the page looked empty (I just wanted to draw a guy in a fedora ;)).

I see what you mean about the perspectives, especially for the tags, but I have to say that I haven't drawn much with a real background since around the 6th grade! Oh, the horror! So this is exactly the sort of critique that I need; I need to improve my backgrounds in a big way. I'll have to draw more figure drawings with backgrounds to see if I can improve any with your tips.

I did add one crack to the floor, near the pillar, but I wasn't sure what would be too exaggerated - any ideas on that? I didn't want things to seem too busy.

8. wertitis

Art is a natural exaggeration of real life. Take a look at concrete slabs in large plazas or under overpasses and see for yourself how it holds together or breaks apart. Then practice at transferring what you see over to paper and evolve the look from there. Details such as that are touch and go based upon experience. Too much and it alters the overall look. Too little and it begins to appear rather plain. It's a matter of taste, what your original vision was and expirience. Practice makes perfect.

Heh, I'm sure that one lonely crack in all that concrete wont make it seem TOO exaggerated.

All aspects of a picture are important, even things that you simply add to take up space. If you put the same amount of quality into all aspects of your sketch you'll raise the overall quality of the picture, and because you are putting for the the extra practice, the quality of your future works will improve markedly as well.

Unless these are WIPs you shouldn't change your drawings because of a few words from some guy you don't even know. Just take my advice with a grain of salt and save it for the next time you sit down to sketch.

~W

9. Meaikoh

Sounds perfect. But what I mean is that there was already a crack in the concrete which I added before scanning the picture - right near the pillar. *grins* Otherwise, well, I see your point.

10. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Nice to see Meaikoh back and posting ;) Good pictures by the way, and I am pretty sure that your art will be wanted :)

- Teddz

11. Meaikoh

Thank you, Teddz :).

Here's a new picture...There are seven different versions, and each version is separated by a 5-second wait, so please be patient ^^;.

Read the deviantArt description for more information, but I spent a lot of time on this, for the shading and colouring...

http://www.deviantart.com/view/25967296/

Criticism is very much welcome.

The truth is, the real reason why I made this thread was for banner requests, so please don't forget that! Anyone wanting a banner can just post here with the specs for it.

12. wertitis

Looks like you swapped around the colors for her/his/ambiguous sex person's clothing and hair while slapping a different color filter on top of them all. Frankly since they're all the same sketch and the only diff is colors all I can give ya is an opinion and that is that the first one is the bestest. I don't know what kind of medium you want to apply this too (Magazines, internet) and I don't know what 'mood' you want (Dark, happy, angsty) so I can't tell you which one is definitively the one you should "use" or "keep".

However I will say the black one is way too dark for any real applications.

~W

13. Meaikoh

Thank you for your opinion.

14. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Miyavis lips look a bit too thick. The piercing looks the same too.

It does look pretty good, like the eyes though :)

- Teddz

15. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Meaikoh, your work is improving. Keep it up.

16. Meaikoh

Dear Teddz - Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. The main thing that I noticed is the location of the eye...It should be lower. I quite like the effect of the lips, although it's very thick...kissable, collagen-enhanced? You decide.

The chain is definitely a little thick...

And Bash! Thank you too! I've been working on my artwork and I'm glad that it shows.

17. Meaikoh

New Art

Here is some Christmas-y art! It's L from Death Note, for a Christmas contest on dA.

Feedback is appreciated as usual! ^_^

I'm really not happy with the shape of the face or hands; I had to ink it with a ballpoint pen, and it didn't turn out so well..it doesn't apply smoothly to the paper.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/26566933/