New "Battle of the Planets" Soundtrack - AWESOME!

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Mark, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

I may have mentioned this before, but a new "Battle of the Planets" soundtrack was recently released on two discs, complete with a comprehensive booklet. I thought this was only available through mail-order, but yesterday I found out it's in the mainstream! So of course, right after work, I went to our local Best Buy, but was greatly disappointed not to see it there. Across the street, however, was Westfarms Mall with an FYE, so I went there. Sure enough, they had it! That store seems to always have what I'm looking for.

There are many pieces on this soundtrack they left off the first one, with specific pieces I was looking for back in 2000. I think all of the compositions written for the show are here, with some alternate versions with could be demos, which is great. One completed tune in particular I've always enjoyed and missed from the first soundtrack is Track 6 on Disc 1; Teenage Mysterioso. This has a bass guitar riff as the main musical element. One scene I remember this well from is when Mark and Princess are in a Spectra mining cave and are hiding in one of those little coal carts that moves on tracks (a la "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"). You would know it the instant you heard the first note. I was hoping that would be on it, and it there.

The booklet offers a lot of interesting information, including that "Orion: Wonder Dog of Space" was most likely considered for the pilot. Three pieces of music were specifically created for this one episode. In fact, one plays off the name "Orion." If you've ever listened to the "Gatchaman" music, you can tell some of the notes come in threes and are meant to mimic the word "Gatchaman." The same for these pieces with the name "Orion." In fact, composer Hoyt Curtin lightly sings the name "Orion" a few times. After reading the booklet and listening to all the music again, I have much more respect and appreciation for the work Mr. Curtin did for this series, and I especially can't wait to get home and watch this specific episode again.

The booklet also has quotes from Mr. Curtin, and goes deeper into the career of Bob Sakuma, who composed the original "Gatchaman" music. It's almost impossible to believe, but Mr. Sakuma didn't know about any versions of "Gatchaman" outside of Japan until six years ago. It's good to know he's still very active in music composition and teachings.

Something I like about Mr. Curtin's work is he incorporates parts of the title theme into some of the songs. He seemed to know the right places to place them, and that puts a nice bow on his package of songs.

What has always amazed me about the music for "Battle of the Planets" is you would never know there are two completely different sets of compositions done by two different men unless you were told. I think that's a nod to Mr. Curtin. He obviously grasped the essence of the music composed by Mr. Sakuma, and blended that into what we now have as one soundtrack for "Battle of the Planets." He liked to refer to the dramatic music for the show as "Hero Rock," which is something he probably invented. I just wish he was around to see so many fans enjoy his music on the two releases. After all the shows he worked on (including "The Flintstones," "Superfriends," "Scooby-Doo," and "The Jetsons"), the 2000 "Battle of the Planets" soundtrack was the very last project he worked on before he passed away.

If you are even a remote fan of the show, this is a must have. There are even a couple of extra goodies on it which makes this collection enjoyable and fun.

Mark

2. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Perhaps ill look into this, seeing as BotP had quite the soundtrack. And yes, i do agree on how well the BotP score compliments the original Gatchaman score. Its an almost seamless combination. I wonder, does this 2-CD set include every piece done for Gatchaman? There have been quite a few soundtrack releases of Gatchaman in Japan, and i was wondering if i should bother with those. Man, what i would give to have a perfect recording of the the GoS pounding backbeat.................LOL j/k :p

Speaking of Gatchaman, im curious to know as to what ADV has been up to with their Gatchaman releases. The suspense is killing me! Also, i look to acquire a DVD player before the end of the year, and reward myself by stocking up on any DVD''s with G-Force material in them! Oh a holly,jolly but still meh Christmas it'll be, as GoS doesn't have a market to warrant a series release. I hope the Anime Network wont sit on their laurels and air GoS again, seeing they have ALL the episodes in possesion unlike BotP, which is most likely up to the DVD releases.

EDIT: I just found out that the Anime Network has FINALLY reached my area in NYC, Manhattan. The catch? Its carried by a different cable company (RCN), and not my current one (Time Warner Cable). For now i dont think that will warrant switching up cable companies........

3. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

There is a good deal of "Gatchaman" tunes on this soundtrack, many contained within one track, but I'm not sure if it's the complete collection. I know the "Gatchaman" music on the 2000 "Battle of the Planets" soundtrack was the exact same as found on an earlier "Gatchaman" soundtrack (sans the two Japanese songs), but I haven't compared the "Gatchaman" music on the two "Battle of the Planets" soundtracks. If those are the same, which they might be, that would match the most comprehensive non-vocal "Gatchaman" musical collection out there.

As I intended, I watched "Orion: Wonder Dog of Space" last night. That Zoltar is a real *****, trying to drown Orion! I liked how Rover had an extended presence because a fellow dog was the main guest star. The music, of course, was wonderful.

I wonder if the people who put the soundtrack together contemplated putting the "GoS" theme and background torture...er...music on here. I only think that may be possible because, still to my surprise, they had an episode on the first six "Battle of the Planets" DVD volumes. But, they were two different companies. Besides, I'm sure they knew our Dirk here has provided it for us on the internet! :D

4. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

Its a brilliant soundtrack but I dont like the packaging, Couldnt it have been in a `real` CD case?

No, not all the Gatch music is there. The last few eps have better, and unique tracks, also you would have to include the Movie. (this is an early version of the OAV track)

5. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Well, at least i find some comfort in knowing that i can record a clean copy of the GoS theme, which similar to BotP runs during the credits. But the backbeat is another story. Only whoever has the masters to G-Force has a clean copy of that. But i doubt they'll even think twice of sticking that or the GoS theme in a soundtrack. Because then that means that they'll have to stick in the Eagle Riders soundtrack as well. My point:both of them are too low profile, and are licensed to different companies. My, i just keep on repeating previous statements dont i? :confused:

6. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

MT, I never really cared for the additional music found in the last few episodes of "Gatchaman" or the movie. It could be because I was so used to the music from "Battle of the Planets" that those pieces didn't flow well with me. In the episodes, you're refering to that haunting theme with the solo flute that goes into a couple of trumpets, right? The scene I remember that the most from was in "Countdown 0002" when the team was searching for Joe in the fog. Well you know, the more I watch that episode, the more it fits for me.

I was disappointed with the packaging for this soundtrack as well. I also don't like that you have to open up the box and take out the booklet to see the list of music. That's my only complaint...the packaging. I agree with your use of words...the music is brilliant. (BRILLIANT!!!) I can't believe Hoyt Curtin composed all of that in ten days.

7. Meridian

Meridian New Member

Bah, I ordered mine on 10th October and it seems the place I ordered from won't have them until 18th December. So I won't even get mine in time for Xmas. Looking forward to it though.

8. gatch72

gatch72 New Member

I have a alternate music opening for the Gatchaman series...Its pretty cool...I would be interested in that BOTP soundtrack..Once again, anyone wanting to hear that alternate version lmk
    thankx