New fan!

Discussion in 'Dragon Ball' started by Cloud, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

I must admit that I wasn't attracted to reading Dragonball manga after seeing too many daft episodes of the show Dragonball Z on TV. But I was surprised to find that the manga was funny, witty and every so slightly addictive!

Wondering what Dragonball Z manga is like now! But am still only on volume 5 of Db so a ways to go!

2. Thomas Geraghty

Thomas Geraghty New Member

I read some of the Dragonball manga years back and I fully agree! The artstyle works a lot better in manga that the anime in my opinion.

3. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

I've just read volume one of DBZ and wondering what people think - is it worth buying more, or is it not as good as DB?

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The Z volumes certainly have a different feel than the ones that proceeded (despite actually being serialized as part of Dragonball and only being renamed and numbered later).

I would say two natural jumping off points would be 1) At the end of "Dragonball" before picking up Z or 2) At the end of the Freeza(Frieza) fight, which I think is the second major Z arc. Someone better in the know may correct me, but I have oft been told that the end of the Freeza/Goku conflict on Namek is where Toriyama originally planned to put a closure on his tale and only forced following extension at the behest of Weekly Shounen Jump's insistence.

Cloud likes this.
  5. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Matt - I'll buy the next few so - I'm still confused when I see Goku/Gohan=Gohan/Goku on TV so I guess I need to read some more!