New Series

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Mark, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Along with Wolffen's good news, I have also heard from Phil at Sandy Frank Entertainment about the new series. I no longer havd that e-mail, but he said the series is a go and they are still figuring out what to do as far as voice actors are concerned. I wrote back saying Fred Ladd's experiment to use some of the same terms (G-Force and The Phoneix) but different member names and voices in "G-Force" was a bust. As a die-hard fan, I told him I would like to see all the names the same, and use as many original voice actors as possible. Jane Waldo and Ronnie Schell have said as recently as last fall that they would love to reprise their rolls of Princess and Jason. Both Casey Kasem and Alan Young attended recent conventions as well, so I think they would do it as well. Unfortunately, Alan Dinehart and Keye Luke are no longer with us, so those would be some big shoes to fill.

When I hear back from Phil (he has responded to each of my e-mails), I will let you all know!

Mark

2. riquez

riquez Guest

it would be great but...

...how many old school cartoons have translated to modern format well?

erm... none that i can think of - the trouble is that too often some money hungry team get on board & ruin the whole concept. You've seen it with the comics & everyone can see how the 'new' starwars has not lived up to its expectations.

the only way it will work (for die hards at least) is to re-create the original ...& thats not going to happen.

I remember reading the orig. Teenage mutant ninja turtles comic & the catoon & films were a complete farce.

Judge dredd - what a **** up that was - i collected the comics for 10 years b4 the film - it was an insult!

i can imagine it now - cgi graphics, wow, thats looks impresive, but theres no replacement for the 'heart' of what BOTP 'was'

IMHO - its best left alone, collect the old vids etc - please dont screw with our memories.

Actually the only translation (comic > film) i can think of that was good is AKIRA & that happened pretty much side by side & under the direct supervision of Katsuhiro Otomo himself.
    (i hold my hopes out (& breath) for the 'Metal gear soild' film?)

Its probably all relative - if you never knew BOTP then the new series may be great for you - but i have my doubts that orig. viewers will like the new series

ps: i dont agree that the reply was 'form' - sounds like a genuine reponse to me, i dont think the new producers would say 'yeah, we agree our product is ****'

3. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

The only way I would enjoy this is if the animation is the same as it was created in the 70s. The main reason I didn't like the Gatchaman OAVs is they tried to update the animation, and it didn't work. It wasn't Gatchaman.

My hope is this new series will look and feel like the original; to continue the story of G-Force as it was in the 70s. This will take time, of course, and I hope Sandy Frank is taking the time to do this right. Top Cow is doing an excellent job at this with the comics, under the direction of Sandy Frank, so I think the new series will follow the same suit. Otherwise, it will be another failure like "G-Force."

Mark

4. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow! That's amazing news, no matter what they make of it, it'll be very interesting...

5. Elvin Ruler

Elvin Ruler New Member

Hey, there's hope. Me? I don't know for sure what I'll think of it, but right now the idea sounds cool. I think they know that the fans want the series to retain its spirit from the feedback on the comic. Who's to say the will or won't botch it, I mean, the expectations from the fanbase are pretty high. At the very least it'll be better than some of the other cartoons out there and provide some new eye candy.
    Looking forward to it,
    Elvin Ruler

6. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

Was there any info on when this new series would air??

And if so, what channel will it air on--Cartoon Network or Sci-Fi.

Either way, I am somewhat looking forward to it. I hope they dont ruin it.

7. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

He said they were shooting for this fall, in both Canada and the United States. No word on channel yet. I'm still unclear as to whether this will contain the 20 episodes they didn't do, new animation episodes, or both. I would be satisfied if they just did the last 20 episodes, which Ronnie Schell wants to do because it would mean a Jason death scene. We'll see!

When they originally worked the show in 1978, they were planning on making fresh animation episodes starting with #106 (which would follow the last Gatchaman episode, which is #105). Oce scene had Tiny lifting weights in the Ready Room! They apparently recorded these episodes, but never drew them. If they draw them now, that would be very cool!

Mark

8. eagleclaw

eagleclaw New Member

battle of the planets

hi mark i read your info on the knew battle of the planets. and you are right i truly hope that they keep the original voices of casey, janet, ronnie and alan because they were the ones who brought these charcters to live, and nobody does the voices better then them. i have contacted mr. oldham every once in a while and i just hope since they have the knew scripts they should keep the original cast members who made it. speaking of the voice of zoltar the only voice they i believe who would make a good cast in the guy who does the voice of mo jo jo it sounds a little bit like the late keye luke but thats only a suggestion. later eagleclaw out

9. riquez

riquez Guest

all you guys (& gals) are obviously much more *dedicated* fans than I.

I mean, i love BOTP - because i remember it being the best catoon from my childhood. Now my memory has degraded (a little) i can't remember all the details - i remember a feeling of excitment & clutching at the sofa when zoltars forces were near! I remember always waiting for the ---T R A N S M U T E --- bit & loving every minute of it as the phoenix became the firebird!

I have no old cartoons on vid - but i am going to get some now! (do HMV do that?)

Despite my eariler comments that i dont beleive the NEW cartoon will live upto expectations - i wholehartedly would love the new botp to fill our hopes. ;)
    Prehaps it is my natural cinicism (spelling?) but i just have my doubts.

10. Elvin Ruler

Elvin Ruler New Member

11. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Wow, my note came back to me. Does that make me an urban legend? :)

I was just about to post that here, but Elvin beat me to it! Unfortunately, it looks like they are going with all new actors. They would have had to find new actors for Tiny, Chief Anderson, Zoltar, and The Luminous One anyway, since Alan Dinehart and Keye Luke are no longer with us. But I don't know why they couldn't use Casey, Ronnie, and Janet. I mean, Casey is still doing Shaggy...he sounds exactly the same. So do Ronnie and Janet.

Oh, well.

12. riquez

riquez Guest

thats a nice response - it seems that things are moving in the right direction...

13. Elvin Ruler

Elvin Ruler New Member

:catgirl: I don't know if it does or not. We could elaborate on it and then send it in a mass e-mail, convincing people to forward it and that doing so would result in "good luck". Then, through the subliminal messages we could insert, we could *dramatic pause* take over the world! Or not, whatever you choose is fine with me. Since it's your legend, you get to decide what to do with it. ^_^

Anyways, I hope that the new voice actors do the show justice. I also hope that the show comes on one of the four tv stations I receive. Otherwise, I'll have to break down and get cable. ^_^ Then down, down, down will the gpa go as I watch cartoons, old tv shows, and other shows I watch. I think that the show will at least do well according to the fans' opinion since it is Sandy Frank who is doing it, and they seem to have a grasp on what we want. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Elvin

14. eagleclaw

eagleclaw New Member

THE KNEW BATTLE

hello i am very disappointed that they will be going on with the knew voices. and not to jenks the series but as being a die hard battle fan i honestly have doughts that the knew people doing the voices for these characters will not work for the viewers because every fan would tell you who grew watching battle of the planets that casey, janet ronnie and alan wore made to do these voices and i am not knocking sandy franks entertainment for the series that they have worked hard on but if the fans see and hear that casey, janet ronnie and alan are not doing the voices especially for the knew show it will not work, because us who grew listenning to these voices from the hanna-barbera era should no that casey and janet wore like the 123 punch. i am not bashing the knew series but mark, jason princess, and zark will not be the same unless casey janet ronnie and alan are brought back, and without them the series will die. take turners g-force guardians of space for example, look at how the knew voices killed the show and the viewers. i just think that the show will not do that greate unless the orginal cast who we heared are doing it. and casey is still doing the voice of shaggy and he sounds exactly the same. sandy frank please do not make the same mistake that cartoonnetwork made

15. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Elvin, get cable!

What I don't understand is what this eight feature thing is. Any thoughts?

I totally agree about the voice actors. Maybe we should send an e-mail with all our names on it saying we wish the original voice actors are invited back.

You're right...terrible voice acting really hurt "G-Force." If they do pass up on Casey, Ronnie, and Janet, I hope they do a good job recruiting voice actors like Alan did in 1978.

BTW, Alan Dinehart passed away in 1992. He was not only the voice director, but also the voice of Tiny and Chief Anderson. Keye Luke also passed away in 1992. He brilliantly voiced Zoltar and The Luminous One.

Mark

16. Dei

Dei New Member

While I'm disappointed with the fact that the old voice actors aren't going to be returning and wondering if I could warm to the new ones, there's a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Their fees. Since those days, they've gone on to other things and can now charge a lot more money.

2. To save money, everything is being done in Canada, which would mean either hiring out a second studio in the US for the voice actors or flying them over for recording purposes.

Of course, I'd love to see them do that anyway, but if wishes were Porsches and all that stuff.

Dei.

17. Elvin Ruler

Elvin Ruler New Member

I think their deaths are a part of the reason for the new voice actors. They may have decided that if they were going to have to find a few new actors, they might as well search for a new cast. I'm not saying this is a good thing. As a victim of the voice acting in G-Force, I know the importance of good acting. However, it also depends on who they hire for voice director and how the actors interact with each other.
    Elvin

18. eagleclaw

eagleclaw New Member

the knew battle

hey thanks for responding, but to tell you the truth casey, janet ronnie and alan made these characters. and mark had posted up on this same web that casey, alan, ronnie and janet were at a convention dealing with battle and what i have read what mark had posted it said that ronnie and janet would love to reprise there original voices. you see people who grew up watching the series remembered the greatest voices which made battle what it was and what it will always be, but again you just can't have battle without the voice of casey janet ronnie and alan that is just my opioion. hey don't forget when turner version of g- force guardians of space were shown look how the voice mested up the characters image and so on. it lost the viewers. and i have always said if battle is over going to recapture its title casey janet and ronnie should be apart of it. and to me if you still got it you will never loose. look at casey he is still doing the voice of shaggy on the knew scooby doo cartoon series and he still sounds the same. the point here is that these charaters defined action packed. and i still say that with out the orginal voices i do see the series staying on for a long time, and if the vewers have not seen nor learned of the mistake that turner made when he change the series, then i do not no what to tell you.