New Virus Alert...

Discussion in 'News' started by Zanza, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I just got an email that was warning me about a 47k virus..

It is mostly known as Yaha.k which is a new version of Yaha. This Virus was first shown on 21st of December, which I got lots of 47k emails which made me wondering.. till I got this email..

Oh yeah, one more thing, there is some guy who came in m2a chatroom [perhaps boards.ie too] and posted a url, and when I clicked it, Norton's virus alert showed up..

Now I am trying to move all safe files to a CD-RW atm, so that the scanning process would be both easier and faster..

And If you guys sisn't see me online for a while that means that my poor baby laptop was infected :sad:

Anyway, be carefull guys ..

P.S. That guy's nick was <BIGO> .. does that ring a bell??

2. oeneo-san

oeneo-san New Member

Yes.. I AM BIGo!! Muwahahahaha!!.

3. keence

keence New Member

Thanks for the warning!!!!!!!!!

4. Kairo

Kairo New Member

I want your babies! :bleed: :shy3:

5. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Please note that we have logs of all IPs on M2A chatroom and I will ban anyone who is posting URLs to viruses.

6. Kenshin

Kenshin Commander *nix

I think it must have been some kind of mIRC worm more than a virus...
    And I think it automatically messaged that url to evreyone that joined... I'm not positive though.

As for the Yaha virus warning, it sounds like a typical hoax warning... if so, this thread probably shouldn't be in the News forum :)

7. hey zanza a post you did in the custom avatar requst had a link which made my computer go funny, does that have anything to do with it, its got a quote from me in it.

8. evilmutantman

evilmutantman New Member

Yaha...k...??:eek: yea that sucks. my pc is f***ed up coz of that. either that or waha.y, or sumthin like that. well, thanks 4 that (wish i got here sooner!)

9. Zanza

Staff Member

Gomen.. :sweat: .. if you guys want [the Admins] feel free to move it if you need to :sweat: Gomen nasai :sweat:
    You are kidding right?? I would never ever post a virus specialy here in m2a!! That link was linked to "Read this before you post a request in Custom avatar request" topic, because it appeared that you didn't read it before posting your request..
    Even though it was in caps..=/

Anyway, read that topic then post your request again..

10. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Thanks for the warning Zanza :) you're a life saver.. I noticed like 10 e-mails in my inbox that were 47k and I almost opened one because it said "Join Jenna's Club" and I have a friend named Jenna. But, I really hope it wasn't an e-mail from her that was actually 47k.

11. lil washu y2k

lil washu y2k New Member

thanks, that might explain y my norton anti virus thingy suddenly popped up while i was browsing m2a!

12. Zanza

Staff Member

Actually, you might actually get the same email that has the virus from someone you know, I actually got some emails from my cousin asking me to d/l some screen savers, which wasn't from her actually. The virus manages - somehow - to send it self from the people you have in your list.. it works the same way as the virus alert I talked about, the 313k one..

Be careful guys :)

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I don't know how many people are still subscribed to this thread, but I got some news about "yet another" virus thats going around through your e-mails. I had it, but luckly got a warning from my friend not to open it. Here's the warning he sent over.

During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or
    9/11 in any way, regardless of who sent it.

PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE
    WORLD TRADE CENTER

REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY.....

THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11

(.....PLEASE BE CAREFUL....... :)

BIGGGG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it.

He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer!

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I bloody hate emails like that. I hate viruses disguised as 'tragedy survivor stories', I hate forwards saying that you give 5 cents to a little girl with cancer for everyone you forward this email to (because its bullocks), I hate forwards saying "Foward this to 50 people in the next half hour or you'll have bad luck in your love life forever!", I hate unsolicited email in general.

15. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Well.........That's life

"To-tal slaughter... to-tal slaughter... I won't leave a single man alive. La la la loo la, genoci-i-ide. Lee lee loo lee loo, an ocean of blood. Let's be-gin the killing time!" - 'Quote' - Vash The Stampede

16. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

soo, by that tone of response, you must be a person that sends that crap on...nice to know...lol
    he's just saying any person with a good intellet will be annoyed at that crap

17. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Y'know...

It's really easy to not get virii, even without a virus scanner... Three simple precautions:

A) Don't fscking open any file you are emailed that you did not SPECIFICALLY ASK to have sent to you.

B) Keep your email client updated. If you use Outlook/Outlook Express, check www.windowsupdate.com. If you use other software, their help files should have the website for updates in it, it's never too hard to find.

C) Use common sense... for example,the mIRC virii all involve the infected client asking you to type something in (an encoded form of the virus's source, in mIRC's scripting language). Is it smart to type in a bunch of gibberish that you can't understand? NO. So don't.

Simple precautions that, if followed, would reduce the number of virii that percolate around the web by at least 95%...

- A public service announcement by your resident Ark.

18. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

True, true about what you said Ark. But if someone has a virus and sends you an e-mail, you can get it mearly by opening up their e-mail wether they sent you anything or not. Its like being around someone who has a cold, before you know it, you have it too.

19. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Actually, if you patch your email client, the security holes that allow that have been fixed, as far as I know there is no way for a virus to infect a client by viewing in a properly patched Outlook Express. I'm fairly certain that Eudora and Pegasus are both safe from the quickview security hole as well. So you're safe as long as you don't open the attachment (in which case it's your fault ^_^).

- Ark

20. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

They way my friend put it, it sounded like you can get it just from opening up and reading an e-mail (without opening an attachment). Thanks for clearing that up.