Computers New Virus!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Orion, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Orion

Orion Gears

I don't know if this is the spot to put this, but you all need to know!

A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever. This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee . This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored.
    This virus acts in the following manner:
    It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title:
    "A Card for You".

As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so
    that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+ del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York , according to news broadcast by CNN.

This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself.
    So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You. " As soon as you get the mail, delete it !! Even if you know the sender !!!

That was sent to me by a friend, so make sure everyone knows! Stay safe.

-Ian

1 person likes this.
  2. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Funny, there is nothing about this on swedens biggest IT portal.

3. Orion

Orion Gears

Odd, maybe the virus is just contained to the States? I dunno, but I'm scanning my computer like crazy-go-nuts now.

-Ian

4. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

meh, I am tired of listening about "A card for you" or "life is beautiful" old-new viruses alerts. There is only one solution. You don't know the sender, don't open it.. don't be so damn curious and ruin your PC :p

If I know the sender yet I am suspecious, I email him/her back to confirm it (if I feel like it xD). Else to the wastebasket, what would I lose? It's just a freaking e-card :p

5. Orion

Orion Gears

Man if that's not the truth summed up in a nice cold pepsi I don't know what is. But there is a rumor that the virus can actually use the names (e-mail addresses) of your friends, so when you see it you think, "Hey that's from so and so, I think I'll open it! Oh, my computer froze, I'll just re-boot! What the, hardrive lost? Oh snap..."

6. Zanza

Staff Member

I recieved an e-mail long time ago giving a solution to this problem:

add a new contact in your list named "00000000" with a totally fake e-mail address.. since the virus will send itself to all your contacts list, if it found a none-exsisting address it will not be sent.. I think this worked for me :confused:

7. Orion

Orion Gears

Zanza has beaten the virus, big round of applause! *claps* Man, I should try that to see if it works. I think I will... :anime: If this virus is that retarded it will send itself to a fake address, it shouldn't be declared "the most destructive ever". But that may or may not work so I'll be on my toes (lol, I can't stand on my toes :D ) and on constant look-out for this viral terror.

-Ian

8. Orion

Orion Gears

Why not to spam: (Put this here because it has to deal with computers)

Jul 27 2005

Vardan Kushnir bludgeoned to death

Russia's most infamous spammer, Vardan Kushnir, was found bludgeoned to death in his Moscow apartment on Sunday, July 24th. Kushnir was the owner of the American Language Center, which provided English language courses for Russian-speaking persons. Kushnir's American Language Center sent so much spam between 2002-2003, it quickly became the target of DDoS attacks, death threats, and an assortment of retalliatory pranks.

Kushnir (via a company called Sophim, Inc.) was also allegedly involved in a 2001 stock scam in the U.S. which resulted in the Office of the Kansas Securities Commissioner issuing a Cease & Decist order. More recently, someone using the name Vardan Kushnir and claiming to be the president of Sophim, Inc., posted messages to various financial groups, seeking partners for 'tradeforall
    .com'.

The domain name tradeforall.com expired on July 19th, 2005 and has not yet been renewed.

It is not known whether Kushnir's spam activities played a part in his murder. Spamming is not illegal in Russia.

Wow, spam and get killed. Too bad for him, he shoulda followed the rules! Like everyone should here. :)

-Ian

9. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

not for being macabre or anything.. I think all spammer must suffer his fate

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Officials have released a statement that Kushnir's death was not related to spam, and instead due to a robbery that went awry.

Details here.

That doesn't mean any spammers here at BJP are safe, though. Follow the rules, and we can guarantee your safety. ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

*smacks bat in the hand looking to the boards*

1 person likes this.
  12. Zanza

Staff Member

*smacks flower in the hand looking to the boards*

..what??!

13. Orion

Orion Gears

*smacks everyone because everyone else is doing it*

14. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

*smacks Trigun Son for smacking him*

:p

Anyway, these kinds of viruses are nothing to me. I never even check my email anymore. :p When I do, if I got a suspicious email, it's the same as Zanza. I delete it or email back. Once or twice I've gotten a "You've been added to ***'s contacts!" email. These I delete.

Though I notice those come from SaberJ2X, more often than not... Hmm...

15. Orion

Orion Gears

Oh noes, I have been slapped! *slaps myself* Anyway, I don't check my E-Mail much anymore, seeing as mine was terminated when we had a virus epedemic on the computer, almost lost everything. :glazed:

16. Arucard_gott

Arucard_gott New Member

Another way to save your self from the intense ass ache of email viruses, Dont EVER EVER EVER, EVVVVEEERRRR open attachments, viruses like this cant be sent just from opening the email, atleast to my knowledge. just dont open attachments, even if its for penis enlargment, dont open it.

17. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Oh. I guess you won't be getting that awesome music I sent you, then. :( You would have loved it, but you don't open attachments. :p There have been viruses that work on opening the email, if I recall correctly.

I've said it before, but if I'm uncertain of the origin of an email, I either delete it or reply to it first.

18. Shinigami-Sama

Shinigami-Sama New Member

right
    well macaffee couldn't find its bunghole with both hands so I won't beleave anything they say
    the card for you has been going around since win98
    so yeah
    as for email atcments, use thunderbird insted of outlok
    much safer than outlook, so yeah
    just don't be stupid about attachments and you'll be fine

19. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I never use in-computer email readers... too dangerous
    even with any anti-virus app

I trust McAfee more mind you...

20. Jedimdo