Recreation Nikon vs. Canon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zanza, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

For the past 6 years, I have developed a hobby of photography. Didn't get addicted to it unil 2007 when I bought my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W55.

But now, I need more.. I need a camera that is meant for semi-pro photography with at least a possible manual focus!
    I want to buy and attach other lenses!!

Since I have tried Sony, I'd like to try Nikon or Canon this time, even though I am leaning towards Nikon more than Canon, but if I was convinced that a specific Canon is the winner, I'll go for it :)

Here is a list of what I had in mind:
    * Nikon:
    - Nikon D90
    - Nikon D5000

* Canon
    - Canon PowerShot SX20 IS
    - Canon EOS 500D
    - Canon PowerShot G10
    - Canon PowerShot SX1 IS
    - Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
    - Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
    - Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Oh god! Another spam bot with spam links!! Get h- ...Oh, wait. It's Zanza.

...Mmm, I'm not a huge camera nut, but I know that there are sites out there that may give you a better ideas which ones are worth picking up and which ones are not. www.consumerReports.org might be a good place for a second opinion, however you have to pay to get access to the full site. It's something like $26 dollars a year, or $6 for one month. I know it sucks paying but these guys might be able to save you from buying a bad camera, which may set you back several hundred dollars, depending on how much you want to shell out. They know their gear and are known for rating reliability of products against quality and price.

That's the best I got. Let us know how the camera works out.

~W

3. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

I'd go with Canon. I got a ditigal rebel. beafy lil bastard gots a very nice shot considering how old it is. mhmm.

4. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I've got a Nikon D5000.

It's kinda like a smaller version of the D90, and with a pop-out/swivel screen (if using the screen is your thing of course).

Still, most new cameras will need a new lens, because the lens it comes packed with is very simple. Not that they don't take great pictures, but you can obviously do better ;D

This is what a starter lens gets you--
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=589281&id=1283060469

This is what a new lens gets you (a $128.99 f/1.8 no zoom lens)--
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=589302&id=1283060469

Apologies for the lighting, i just picked a random picture xD

But you get the idea, if you want more pictures like the latter ones, you'll need lenses that support bigger apertures (lower numbers).

As far as user friendly, the D5000 is as simple as they get for new users. The options are all nicely laid out for you, with descriptions and samples of what every little knick knack does.

Anyways, that's MY input ^^

-Seishin