Computers Norton Internet Security VS Mozilla Fire Fox

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Suzu, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I thought that I lost my Fire Fox browser forever due to a rare case of browser hijacking, instead, it appears that my Notron software is blocking my firefox connection to the internet. It seems that Norton has a "severe bug/security hole"according to this article

Now I need to get rid of my norton and find me a new internet security package, any suggestions?

or Should I get rid of Firefox? *I don't want to get rid of it because it one of my favorite browsers*

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

If FireFox is one of the most secure browsers...why would it be a security risk? Norton probably doesn't recognize it as your default browser. Thus, it's blocking it off. Looking at a few googled message boards, this happens most often when people update their Firefox browser.

Look under your Norton IS configurations and make sure that the target .exe file is the default internet connection.

1 person likes this.
  3. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Norton IS has been acting up lately. I've configured it to allow firefox, but if still didn't allows firefox to connect, and later on norton started to freeze... It's true, things started to act up when I decided to upgrade my firefox... T__T now what should i do? I want my firefox and norton to be friends again rather than fighting each other off.

4. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Well, like all of you said, you may wanna configure the settings on your Norton. I recomend doing what you can to get FireFox to work. Your usual IE explorers have been known to suck....badly. And frankly, i think firefox is the best option....

-Seishin

1 person likes this.
  5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

norton internet security is crap imho as a technician...
    I would recommend zonealarm as an easier and securer program

1 person likes this.
  6. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Yup, I agree with SaberJ2X. The Firefox-ZoneAlarm combination is almost invincible :cool:. No virus or trojan has affected my computer with it.

2 people like this.
  7. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Norton Antivirus + Sygate Personal Firewall + Opera 7.54 and yer security is done ;)

Try to reinstall Internet Security or just uninstall it and use the programs that have been suggested :p

- Teddz

1 person likes this.
  8. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I've been using AVG since my trial period for Norton expired. Unfortunately it doesn't detect spyware. But I've had no problems with it and viruses. I still use my outdated Norton for spyware. Anyway, my suggestion would be to get rid of Norton, and find some stronger program to do your anti-virus stuff. I'd suggest AVG, but, as I said, it does nothing to help with spyware.

9. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

<3 Thanks ^__^ it works now! Thanks... YAY! End to the Mozilla and Fire Fox feud! :sweat:

1 person likes this.
  10. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

hmm.. actually the period I was using Opera my pc got infected with trojans...
    when with firefox... nothing

1 person likes this.
  11. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I stopped using IE & Norton long time ago.. I use Firefox (as my default browser) and AVG.. So far so good :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Teddz

It's sad to see Opera being so underrated. I am thinking to upgrade to 8.0 - Looks really neat.

- Teddz

13. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

OOOH. I used to have the regular Internet Explorer, comboed with Norton Antivirus. One day, every time you opened the browser, 30 popups appeared. Not only that, then it stopped working at all, and even the messenger services got popups. It was continuous and quite annnoying.
    Then, someone downloaded Firefox into my computer. From then on, things went out great.
    "Thank god for Fireforx" I say! ^_^

(sounds like one of those statements they show in comercials, doesent it!?)

- Kaiyon

14. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I was using 8.0 o_O... beta though and the old 7.54...

15. Teddz

Weird, I have been using Opera 7.54 for awhile now, and nothing serious has happened, nor Spyware o_O.

- Teddz