Creative Writing Once Upon Christmas Eve: A Jew Tale. [Rant]

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by Chance, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

So I sat quietly, not willing to comment for fear of my not knowing what was true and what wasn't. No kidding right, the Jewish girl was clueless. Tinsel caught the light from many angles around the tree, a normal pine tree in my eyes, sparkling like tiny diamonds amid countless green needles that each produced a thick and someone tantric aroma. What was it, that piney scent that always spelled Christmas for my peers?

Maybe I'm alittle slow for not catching on, a little oblivious to the actual magnitude of something so seemingly useless. Christmas, what was it? Seemed pretty commercial to me, with all the present buying and food eating. Think of the things people did on christmas, the shows that had becomes popular and the moves that were just as traditional as the glazed ham and hanging stockings. I didn't get a real christmas, even with my dad going through his were Vampire phase, joining a cult and such...

We got a promotional Christmas full of food and presents and that's about it. My house was and always has been the only house on the block with a bare of ornaments tree and only one small string of nondenominational lights hanging across the overhang of the roof. Even in the quiet, mundane portion of navy housing where we are stationed, people celebrate like there is so much to celebrate. They deck their houses out to be not only aggrivating, but purposefully boastful of their christian pride.

Oneday, out of holiday spite, I'll punt their life sized baby Jesus in it's little.. thing. Manger? Mager? Pssh. No idea.

But as I sat next to our tinsel and garland tree, my mom trying to explain certain aspects of the holiday to me, I merely rolled my dark brown eyes and forced an irritated yawn. I look Jewish, I was raised to be Jewish. The rest of my family had a nice Hanukkah, small gifts with each of the eight days yet a ton of people who loved and respected them were around. What more was there worth celebrating?

My mom, god bless her, is a nut. Telling me it's okay to move on from one set of beliefs to another. "We all change." she said once while wrapping presents a few nights before 'Christmas' for my younger siblings, her eyes downcast on the bright, foily paper while she spoke. "Doesn't matter what you celebrate, so long as you are celebrating." This was a stupid thought in my opinion and brought upon the signature roll of my eyes that most of her motherly comments spawn.

But now I'm sitting here, surrounded by these undear and cheap items that mean not a damn thing to me. Santa, that fat jerk, can run his sled into the Goodyear Blimp. I'm not accepting the holiday when all I see from it is senseless spending and completely useless holiday cheer. We all know it's fake since the next few days are spent preparing to drink until the new year comes. Silly silly America and it's promotional Christmas views.

2. frommyvalentino

frommyvalentino New Member

Wow, that's intense...I like christmas, but I will admit it's for the presents (and the food). My favorite part of christmas is 5 days after, on my birthday...^.^