Movies Opinions on movies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by MamiyaOtaru, Dec 31, 2001.

1. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

As threatened in another thread where no one replied to this question, here it is, all by its lonesome in a new thread.

I was wondering what opinions people had of a couple movies i found rather anime-ish: Fight Club, kinda like a weird anime, and Moulin Rouge which I found to be like THE weird anime, Excel Saga, as far as one after the other parodies.

Without too many spoilers for those who haven't seen 'em, what do you think of these movies?

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Moulin Rouge was really cool!! Especially when all the "yaoi" like guys were dancing around the duke to some Madonna song. That duke was evil... But I was surprised to find that Ewan Mcgregor sang all of the songs his character sings in the movie.
    "ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE!!!!" *cough* AND PEACE!!! *cough*

I haven't seen Fight Club yet... But it looks very good!

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Remember you asked...

Fight Club rubbed me the wrong way... it was too dark and twisted, sick, and in the end almost a pointless statement about warped society...

BakaMattSu, would much prefer something like the Sixth Sense for a thinking movie...

4. MamiyaOtaru

Re: Remember you asked...

Whoa, as am I! That is really cool. What are the chances Nicole Kidman did? A funny sidenote there: You remember how Meg Ryan got divorced while finming a movie with Russel Crowe (or right afterward) and everyone thought it was because of him.. Nicole Kidman's marriage broke up during Moulin Rouge, and Ewan McGregor was a little disappointed no one thought it could have been because of him :D It was like, "what's wrong with me?" :D
    IMHO, no worse than, say, Akira. Sometimes dark is good. Like Memories.

I loved the surprise. (DO NOT GIVE AWAY WHAT IT WAS for those who haven't seen i :D ) Unfortunately, i saw the end before I saw the beginning, so I have no idea when I would have first figured it out had I watched the movie normally. So, I forced UrashimaKeitaro to watch it, and I watched his reaction to get an idea of what mine might have been :) He found that rather amusing.

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It was a good ending twist, I'll admit....and one of those that almost makes you want to go back and watch again just to see scenes in a new light...and Akira, well, perhaps it fits in the same category...Baka didn't enjoy that "landmark of Anime"...

BakaMattSu, rule # 1 - Never tell anyone about Baka...

6. MamiyaOtaru

Akira wasn't actually my favourite either.. just that some people like it (and it was the first anime I saw, so there are some rose coloured glasses at work here). I bet you would like Memories though. A little dark, but darkly humourous. Dang hard to find though.

7. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Okay, I finally was able to watch Moulin Rouge over the weekend, and found it quite a great piece of work. The thing I loved most of all, other than Ewan's singing, is the camera work, and making Leguizamo (Toulouse Lautrec) shorter. plus how Lautrec was a real person, and the very funny Madonna song. I laughed quite a bit at all the 'rip offs', but the most beautiful song of all I found was the original 'Come What May'

'She sees tonight as her wedding night.. she is liked a blushing bride. She says you make her feel like a Virgin.... you know... touched for the very first time... da da dee da da...' (and the man-servants go dancin' on their tippy toes...) ;)

Aye Aye Aye will always Love you!!! Seph *blows a kiss in the wind*

I'll have to see Figh Club.

Anyways, another favourite of mine is IRON MONKEY its really a good film, I find it way better then Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

'Sword of a Virgin!' Buddhist Nun comes running out attacking..
    'You're so Ugly, no wonder you are a virgin!' -cries the Iron Monkey as he fights her.

Buddhist Nun? don't ask me...

8. MamiyaOtaru

Iron Monkey.. haven't heard of it. How old is it? Dub/sub from somewhere?

Leguizamo was shrunk quite well. I have to go back and look at some of Lautrec's pictures of the Moulin Rouge. Curious to see if they are as psychotic looking as the film :D

9. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Its quite confusing.. 'boot Iron Monkey. I saw posters for the movie in the threatres 'round the time Crouching Tiger was showing. If it hasn't come out yet, it should soon. Its 'newer' then CTHD.

10. MamiyaOtaru

chalk it up to me not getting out much I guess :)

11. YokoburiKinura

I think Iron Monkey's really new - came out just this last year, or that's when I saw trailers for it online. It seems that it's supposed to be another humorous martial action movie. If I recall correctly, it has Jet Li in it (could be wrong, though).

12. MamiyaOtaru

humorous like Kung Pow? hehehe that sure looks goofy!

Though I have to say blast at its usage of the cliched spinning camera shot. It was kinda funny the first couple times, but it seems as if everything that wants to combine martial arts and humour has to have the spinning camera ala trinity..

Shrek, that stick figure guys fighting thing, kung pow, who knows what else. beh to it all.