OVA [Let me get this straight..]

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Zanza, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Now, how many OVA's are there? And what does each called? And what are they talking about??

Help the Bakayuro Zanza .. !!

2. Kuroi Kenshin

Kuroi Kenshin New Member

Well there are two OVA's. The first one I can't remember the exact name but there are four parts to it and it deals with Kenshin past before he became a rurouni(How he got his cross shped scar and such). The second it called Sei Shounen. It's two parts and deals with everything that happens after the tv series and can be said to be and ending to the Rurouni Kenshin story.

Of the two the first is by far the superior anime. In fact it's better than the original TV series as well as just about every other series ever made. The animation is absolutely beautiful, the musis fits the period perfectly and the story, well let's just say is probably what every RK fan wants to see? Be warned though the fighting is very realistic. There is none of that flashy screen business of the tv series here you see every sword stroke and plenty of blood as a result.

As for the second OVA I think it was made because ADV wanted to cash in on the RK franchise and it shows. Basically it tells a story that should have been of the length and detail of the Kyoto arc in the TV series and compresses it into about 50 minutes. If your familiar with Evangelion you could compare what they did with this OVA to what the Evangelion creators did with the Death and Rebirth movie, only worse. If your a hardcore fan you might want to check it out but in a way it concludes the Rurouni Kenshin story and as an ending it's terrible. I almost with I hadn't seen it.

3. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I stil think that the series is better than the first OVA, but Tsuiko Hen was a really wonderful drama! It had really great music, and great action, and I cried my head off by the end ><

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I loved both OVA's. And I agree that the first one was the epitome of Kenshin drama. But, is it my understanding that Kenshin's manga was never that serious?

5. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

I may be wrong by saying that there are 3 RK ova. There is the Samurai X Ova (#1) and Seishounen ovas (1 and 2) ..
    Ahh the Seishounen ova 2 was so dramtic and sad :( I still cant believe what happened !!!

6. Zanza

Staff Member

I said the same to Tooma, but she said no!! :mad:
    Tooms, you always confuse me!! >.<;

I am familier with the first OVA which as you said, that it talks about Kenshin's past.. but, my question this time, how many parts does it contains?? 3 or 4?? :dizzy:

7. Kuroi Kenshin

Kuroi Kenshin New Member

There are definitely 4 parts to the first ova.

8. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

>_> I tried explaining it to you, but you never listen to me Z-chu!
    The first Seishounen ova is like a review for the whole RK series
    The second one is what happends after the series! (which in the beginningof the ova involves Enishi)

9. Zanza

Staff Member

-_-

See what I mean!!

10. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

:confused: You're confused from the thing i said abt the Seishounen 1st ova. Let me put it in a simpler way: :p ;)

-Samurai X
    has 4 parts
    Its about Kenshin's life before meeting Koaru and the others
    - Seishounen 1
    Koaru misses Kenshin (who is away fighting in a war) and remembers the 1st day she encountered Kenshin and the events that happened to them later on (fighting against Shishio), when he was leaving to Kyoto .. etc
    -Seishounen 2
    Happens after
    Enishi Kidnaps Koaru

11. Zanza

Staff Member

So.. [^^;]
    There is Samurai X [OVA 1]
    - has 4 parts..and it's before the anime which talks about Kenshin's past..

And there is Sei-whatever.. [OVA 2]
    - there is two parts of it..and it's after the anime which talks about what happened after it..

Right?

12. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Lol .. ya , you got that right!
    So are you going to download them off of Kazaa or do you want to watch it at my place
    (2 -- I want see you ^.^ )

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

im so bored pulling up these posts for no reason XD

hrm yeah two OVA and one movie

The first OVA is called the Tsukiohen OVA and deals with Kenshin's life as Hitokiri Battousai during the Bakumatsu

The SECOND OVA has two parts but is one series, the first being a flashback to the TV series (only much more dramatic) and the second half deals with Kenshin after the end of the Jinchuu Arc.

The Movie itself is just a movie, it has some links to Kenshin's past but remains largely a seperate entity.

14. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Thanks HG.

It explains a lot I was wondering about the other whom I will go pick up now.