Anime Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Kaiyon, May 17, 2011.

1. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

I tried giving this series a try after hearing so much positive reaction to it.

After downloading it, I watched the first fifteen minutes and found nothing but ****, fart, poo and sex jokes crammed into a strange 15 minute segment.
    One heroine is a diabetic goth, the other one a skank, and the priest a pedophile.

Needless to say, Im not a fan yet.
    Should I continue to keep watching it? The humor seems very unlike what I'm used to from Japan and more like what I expect from America.

1 person likes this.
  2. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

You know, I actually started watching this series out of curiosity a few months back; I'd seen some stuff pop up on 4chan and, well, the internet is a great form of advertisement. :p

I will say, I was quite surprised by how "American" the show felt; it was quite reminiscent of Genndy Tartakovsky's older material style-wise (think Samurai Jack), and the humor is absolutely as Kaiyon described --- crude. It seems, in fact, like the first few episodes, they're trying to be as crude as they can get away with on Japanese television (which is apparently quite a bit). I was surprised also to learn that GAINAX was behind this one.

I will say, I've not finished, but not for lack of want; the plot does thicken around episode eight or so, when the girls' rivals are brought in. There is actual material there; it just takes a little while to get to. It kinda gets into the debate of, who determines what's right or wrong, what are these ghosts you're killing, etc. Basically, very basic but fun to write morality drama.

One other thing about this show is, the animation quality fluctuates heavily per episode. There are a few short bits where the difference in quality is used for comedic effect (namely the transformation sequences and the defeat of demons); however, there are a few episodes where it looks like they just threw the show together in Flash and called it a day. Of course, YMMV.

Overall, I'm not sure what to make of this one. I myself was amused by quite a bit of the more subtle humor that does show up here and there, but as episodic as it is, I'm not sure I'd rank it very high overall. Certainly worth watching at least once, I'd say.

3. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Greatest. Show. Ever. Enuf' said.

4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

^^^ this. it's about gainax having fun and trying to mess with the censors. remember, the show was created in a drunken fit during the after party for gurren lagen's completion. =D

personally i find it damn funny and full of references and parodies. the transformers one being great.

5. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I grew up on Genndy Tartakovsky's work - Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls. Like Baph said, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt seems to follow this style for their episodes. The episodes are just over the top, and a good break from more serious anime series - along the lines of Excel Saga but much more crude.

6. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

I'd be stocking with panty if you know what I mean.

I am so filthy.