Pavane pour une infante defunte

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by Eoin, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Eoin

Eoin New Member

Sometimes I think this Ravel piano tune could win the award for the composition with the world's greatest pathos to it. The famous orchestral version is often great, and there are some great arrangements of it for two classical guitars, which could nearly bring a tear to the eye. I'm mentioning it here because, of all Tomita's arrangements of well-known classical pieces, I think his version of this tune stands out in one respect: he gets even MORE emotion into the piece than any other arrangement that's been done. That's some feat. Does anyone else have a particular admiration for this track?
    I think when Tomita did a great arrangement of a classical piece/tune, he didn't often succeed in matching the emotional "punch" of the original and, for that reason, this track always stands out a great deal for me personally.

2. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

I'm curious if anyone has heard the Synergy version. Apparently it showed up on a Kosovo charity album, one of only a couple of Synergy tracks released between his "Reconstructed Artifacts" and his 70s and 80s albums.

The William Orbit synth version sounded kind of cold bland to me as all those classical covers he did sound - though I guess he used the coldness to his advantage on Barber's "Adagio for Strings" because it sets up a friction with the music itself and it's slightly overexposed place in pop culture (It's best known from the movie "Platoon")